diy solar

diy solar

Any Code Violation Issue for Sharing Concrete Hole Passthrough

I am relocating a 120V 15A receptacle in a building and I need to run
between two floors a 12 AWG Metal Clad Armored Cable inside a drywall.

I noticed that there was already a pass-through hole used for a water pipe.

Would there be any code violation issue from sharing the same pass-through hole?

Otherwise I would need to drill a separate 1" hole inside a 12" concrete floor plan,
which would be a major project and would certainly requires using an hydraulic jack hammer.

Sharing Hole Pass-Through.jpg

I wouldn't think so.
Plugging the hole with some sort of fire-stop material might be advisable and required.

Jack hammer? Usually to break, not drill. Some are hydraulic, most are air, some are electric.
But all you would need is a rotohammer. Yeah, I got all those (well electric of each). Used only occasionally, but no substitute for having the right tools. Not a major project, drills like an inch every 30 seconds or so.
I can't imagine owning a concrete building and not having a rotohammer. That's how anchor bolts can be installed.

@Hedges I have a 3/8 inch and a 1 1/2 inch Rotary Hammers
that I use for making holes in walls made of concrete blocks.

However, those tools would certainly do a poor job
when dealing with concrete beams reinforced with rebar.

Last year, an ISP company installed some fiber optical Internet wires,
and I noticed that they were using an hydraulic jack hammer
to make holes smaller than 1/2 inch in the garage ceiling.

Rotary Hammer SDS.jpg

Plugging the hole with some sort of fire-stop material might be advisable and required.\
Certainly a good point, however those pipes are located a little bit everywhere,
so it would be a complex job to complete such requirement...

Also those pipes are located behind a sick drywall who have proved
to prevent propagating a gas heater fire to other units, at least until the firemam arrived.

Back