diy solar

diy solar

Any concern about condensation inside a metal battery case (SOK) for van install?

blutow

Solar Enthusiast
I am planning a system for a conversion van and I'm considering using SOK batteries. A far as I can tell, the steel case is unsealed. They have an IP50 rating, which means they aren't water or vapor resistant. I like the price/specs of the battey and the metal case seems sturdy, but I'm wondering if a steel case is going to be more prone to internal condensation. In a van environment, it's not uncommon to have high moisture in the air and it's very easy to get condensation on surfaces due to rapid temp swings. I'm thinking the risk of this with a metal case could be significantly higher compared to a plastic case.

I'm not saying this would be a huge problem, but air(and water vapor) will pass in and out as temperatures swing inside and outside the battery. Any thoughts on whether this would be a problem at all? I was thinking maybe it would be worth throwing a silica desiccant pack into each housing every couple years just to be safe. Another option would be trying to totally seal the case with silicon or something.

Condensation will only happen when there‘s a temperature difference between the air and the battery box. Specifically when the surface is colder. Unless the outside of the battery box will be exposed to the cool air from outside and moist warm air will be able to circulate into it you will be fine.

I wouldn’t seal it air tight but if a silica gel pack makes you feel better it prob won’t hurt.

since the batteries and BMS inside will be a (minor) source of heat it will self dry anyway as the warmer air leaving will take any moisture with it.

Back