diy solar

diy solar

Any experience with Coleman Air charge controller?

spendlove

Has anyone had any experience using this particular charge controller for their wind turbine?

C440-HVAD HVA Digital C440-440 A Amp/Volt Wind/Solar Battery Charge Controller

It came in a kit that was made by Missouri Wind & Solar and it's been a disappointment for me. The text on the digital screen frequently becomes garbled and turns into gibberish. I'm wondering if I need to look at buying a completely different model. Yes, I know what the gurus on this forum say about wind turbines being a headache, but the 30 foot tower is already in place, and we do get a good amount of wind in Northern Utah, so I might as well keep it running.

As far as the turbine itself, I think it's a Whisper 500 that was purchased about 14 years ago. It's not delivering any current to the charge controller, so I hope to find someone locally who can come fix it. If this old unit needs to be replaced, are there any recommendations for a good quality unit? The winds out here in the middle of nowhere are quite powerful! The internet is littered with inexpensive, cheap models made in China, which I want to avoid. It's currently setup to be a 12V system.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a better charge controller that will work well with my Outback Power system, AND a good quality wind turbine for residential use.

Thanks!

So I'm looking for suggestions for a better charge controller that will work well with my Outback Power system, AND a good quality wind turbine for residential use.
Since we can't talk you out of this.... I get it.

Midnite Solar has charge controller that when coupler with thier dump load (Clipper) will work for wind. You'll have to study this chart and see what you need for your turbine. If you don't like the price keep in mind you're the one who asked for a suggestion.

AFAIK you're are not going to find what you're looking for but I sure hope you do.

Here's a guy that is testing and reporting back on a variety of small turbines that shares his experiences.

Last edited:
Back