diy solar

diy solar

Any flat earthers out there?

In George Orwell’s 1984 Winston is being torchered
His captor asks him how many fingers he is holding.
After a while each Winston tells him he really wants to see three or four or five but he only see a four
As time goes by he says he doesn’t know anymore and is praised for making progress

By the end he is told the law of gravity isn’t real it’s a made up thing because if believes he floats and his torchere believes it to then it’s gf truth.
It’s all about what you believe and whether or not there is any decenting voice there to listen too

In this day and age.
Can you keep two contrary ideas in your head at once and be comfortable with it?
Will you listen yo a decenting point of view?
Do you surround yourself with people that only reinforce your chosen pov?

Last edited:
In George Orwell’s 1984 Winston is being torched. His captor asks him how many fingers he is holding.
After a while each Winston tells him he really wants to see three or four or five but he only see a four
As time goes by he says he doesn’t know anymore and is praised for making progress

By the end he is told the law of gravity that don’t real it’s a made up thing because if believes he floats and his torchere believes it to then it’s gf truth.
It’s all about what you believe and whether or not there is any decenting voice there to listen too

I think they is an import thing to remember in this day and age.
Can you keep two contrary ideas in your head at once and be comfortable with it
Will you listen yo a decenting point of view
Do you surround yourself with people that only reinforce your chosen pov.

This is the Humor section.

Can you keep two contrary ideas in your head at once and be comfortable with it.
Yes, there are times, especially early on in an unfamiliar subject when I do.

Will you listen yo a decenting point of view
Up to a point, when they go on and on with things that have been debunked more than once or worse their conspiracy theories, I ignore those arguments.

Do you surround yourself with people that only reinforce your chosen pov.
Quite the opposite. I do find flat earthers quite entertaining.

DPC said:
Can you keep two contrary ideas in your head at once and be comfortable with it.

As Leo notes, early on in an unfamiliar subject, but also pretty much everything exists on an indistinct gradient from entirely certain to unquestionably false. Some things are pretty darn close to one end or the other, but in other cases, there may be two or more competing and contradictory possibilities all hovering somewhere along that gradient. If it's not something I can know, better to know the possibilities and cleave to none if I want to find truth.

As for flat earth, I've read that late 1800s book floating around. Interesting, but my direct experience, including living where I have seen open ocean from 4,000' on two opposite sides of where my feet are planted on solid ground, fits better with a sphere.

Back