diy solar

diy solar

Any have any thoughts on the PHOCOS 5kW Any Grid Hybrid Inverter Charger

LOL... that's a rebranded MPP Solar unit. Check out the manual:

Look familiar?

If it's competitive with the MPP Solar unit, I'd seriously consider it as I assume they would have superior support being on this continent.

Tried to call the Tucson office, but they were closed.
will be interested in finding out the price ... so it looks like its made in China (no duh) and then made better in Germany -- or at least made to German specs .... I think MPP Solar is just made by Chinese and its sort of hit and miss ....

Have you used the MPP Solar ??

Nope. I likely never will unless its just for a fun project. Victron had their way with me, and I keep coming back for more. If I ever have a small project where it makes more sense to deploy a new system rather than feed off the existing, I'd consider it.

I think it's analogous to AIMS/Sigineer . They're all the same hardware with some cosmetic differences. The fundamental difference is the customer facing entity and their quality program - do they actually test and qualify what they receive from Sigineer, or do they just box and ship and deal with the consequences with a presumably higher level of service than you might get with Sigineer in China.

This sounds like fun, so I say warn them that it's not going to be at the level of quality of the bigger names, but it might work fine. Let management make the call.

On the flip side, if these thing are expected to deal with surge, DON'T. They won't handle surge for squat.

will be interested in finding out the price ... so it looks like its made in China (no duh) and then made better in Germany -- or at least made to German specs ....

Prices here:

Please get a half dozen of them on the company card and let us know how they work ?

So, did you ever get your hands on one to put through its paces? Considering one for a small cottage we'll be building on a ocean-front lot here in Washington state.
@SolarQueen would you like to chime in? You guys sell these and I'm wondering what you think. Can the do 'grid zero' like the Radians do?

So management wants us to order a few (6) of these to test and evaluate ... thought I would cheat and get a head start to see if anyone has used / likes / dislikes ....

Thx

PSW-H (3 kW/5 kW) https://www.phocos.com/product/psw-h-3-kw-5-kw/

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - what would you recommend instead ???
I've used the 3 kW 24v 120 for a off grid cabin for some friends and we were all very happy with it. It has performed extremely well and has not had any issues for over a year now working consistently.

What I've liked so far:
- Operates at stated specification. I was a little concerned whether the inverter would truly put out 3000 watts but it did with no problems.
- Great flexibility and functionality. You can choose priority parameters for solar, utility (or generator) and battery and it seemlessly automates and switches for you.
-Install was easy and straightforward
- Customer service was great. I reached out during install and they were incredibly knowledgeable
- Friends that use it are living offgrid fulltime so it is in constant use and they have reported they love it because they don't even have to think about it at all since its been programmed.

I actually decided to use the same product for my next campervan build and plan on installing it in the next few months but overall I have been incredibly happy with the product especially at the price point.

Last edited:
Back