diy solar

diy solar

Any idea how to identify this connector?

CarlCruzin

Any idea what the name of this connector is? I'm working on a project to extend the connection between the stereo head unit and the 10" screen. Intend to mount the screen about 2' from the head unit on a custom bracket.

Attachments

• Jensencar1000ScreenConnector.jpg
    Jensencar1000ScreenConnector.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 23
If you get the pin to pin Pitch correct... You can often cut the plastic housings to match. With 2 rows of more than 10 pins... the friction alone will hold the connector together without locks.

Often times a connector like that will only come with a practical mate that's PCB mount! There may technically be a pigtail mate... But they'll be expensive and hard to find (speaking in general terms)

What I usually do is procure the through hole or surface mount mate, then spin a quickie conversion PCB board.

If you spin the board through someplace like PCB way or OSH park they will only be a few bucks. I use a toaster oven to reflow the surface mount parts, along with a small quantity of Solder Paste.

For 1 mm pitch you require a stencil. For 1.5 mm pitch I would prefer a stencil. For 2 mm pitch you can start to cheat it.

On two row surface mount connectors it's very hard to rework the inner pin row without melting the housing... That's why I suggested small cheap stencil and solder paste.

Good luck!

-Schindler

Not this application but I have taken dry pigtail m/f connector kits from molex and the automotive weatherpak brand I can’t recall and re-wire-mapped with an available connector of equal or greater pins to make an extension on things from stereos, car audio, built-in cell phones, and jeep trailer wiring harnesses and OBD devices.

With the information people provided here and a bit of searching (magnifying glass or better: macro camera) you might be able to locate the connector itself and see if the manufacturer has other same architecture connectors that would suite your needs. I’ve found surprisingly few things with connectors that are truly proprietary. There’s a couple of electronics suppliers that primarily sell gizmos and assembly parts like these as opposed to finished goods

I assume you also found the connector on the Digikey site:

That would be an ideal solution, my only hesitation at this point is that they seem to only have a pcb header to accept the plug and I'm not sure how I would connect the wire to the solder pins.

Or can the pcb pins just be stuck into the the plug? Digikey is out of stock on the header, but I'm going to check other places.

It occurs to me that you have one other option. Since your goal is to extend the existing wire which has this connector on it, you could just cut the existing cable in the middle. Then you could make a 24 wire extension of whatever length you wanted. You can use any 24 pin connectors you can find to make the extension cable. Just get two pairs of 24 pin connectors. Put one half of each pair on each end of the extension and the other half of each pair on the two new ends of the wire you cut.

Well I ordered 3' of the 24 conductor 22awg shielded wire from digikey, and the 2x of the plugs and headers from mouser. So fingers crossed! Thank for all your help and suggestions. I will update with how this approach worked out.

This seems to match, but the part I found states it is 2.0mm pitch, not 1.5mm pitch. But the other dimensions seem to match.

I received the plugs and you are correct! I really appreciate the help! I'm hoping that the header with the pins that are normally soldered into the PCB are large enough to make sufficient contact with the female plug. That is how I hope to extend it. Header pins into existing female plug, dual sided male extension cable that will plug into that header and also the one on the PCB soldered behind the screen.

Currently looking for a computer repair place that can crimp the pins onto the wires to create this extension. digikey was pretty much indefinitely backordered on those little things.

For future
I agree with the contributor who suggested cutting the harness and lap soldering a pigtail in, to a standard you're tooled up for.

I rarely hunt for highly specific connector mates. If you calculate your hours spent, now and in the future, it usually works out to be a better value to:

* Cut
* Lap solder a pigtail

You might buy that pigtail, or crimp cut ends to suit. Molex and jst have a great number of pigtailed options.

* Populated pigtail
* Crimped ends

Crimped ends mean you're buying specific lengths of wire (say 1 foot or 1 meter) with a professionally crimped pin or socket on the end.

You can buy them in different colors, then you populate the housing as needed. Did you key sells many crimped ends*

* 16awg - I crimp my own
* 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm pitch, I buy crimped ends

As wires get smaller (~26awg) hand cramping becomes practically impossible. You can do it... I can do it under a microscope or under a really good lens... But they're very fussy... And you really want to have the professional crimper ($250)

The real reason to buy crimped ends is so you don't have to buy the expensive crimper and kill yourself pinching microscopic wires!

Anyhow
I would say that 7 out of 10 times I cut a connector off and lap solder a pigtail.

2 out of 10 times I spend a custom PCB adapter board with mating 90° or straight connector.

1 out of 10 times I hunt for the perfect mate.

But
The connectors I generally deal in are 99.9% intended to land on a PCB board, so board Mount connector.

... Glad to hear things worked out for you

-methods

Back