diy solar

diy solar

Any ideas for a good power supply for 24 volt lifepo batteries?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9967
  • Start date
I don't have the device and have not used it. But yes. That is how the description shows to me that it works.

I have read good reports on the Meanwell power supplies.
Thank you :)

Thank you.

use a hobby supply!!!! these things are so much better.... do balancing & have huge throughput etc...

life chemistry, 1.5A balance current.... 20A charge current, configurable voltages ... they're superb, cheap & work perfectly

use a hobby supply!!!! these things are so much better.... do balancing & have huge throughput etc...

life chemistry, 1.5A balance current.... 20A charge current, configurable voltages ... they're superb, cheap & work perfectly
Thank you. :)

I am leaning towards this one because it is local partly.
The one you suggested though looks like it might work as well. :)
Thanks again. :)

EDIT: AW heck. It needs an input DC voltage, not AC wall outlet.
Just read up on it.

Ok thanks anyhow. Was a good try. :)

EDIT: AW heck. It needs an input DC voltage, not AC wall outlet.
Just read up on it.

Ok thanks anyhow. Was a good try. :)
My apologies - did 2 similar posts & left off some info.
Yes it needs DC in - but you can use a cheap Computer power supply to power it! You're looking at probably $120USD / $200AUD for a brand new PSU & very capable charger with balancing & all the bells & whistles.

The charger is an ISDT Q8 - get them everywhere :)

My apologies - did 2 similar posts & left off some info.
Yes it needs DC in - but you can use a cheap Computer power supply to power it! You're looking at probably $120USD / $200AUD for a brand new PSU & very capable charger with balancing & all the bells & whistles.

The charger is an ISDT Q8 - get them everywhere :)
Well like I said. Looking into this one.
I don't need bells and whistles. I have a BMS, a juntek and a isdt battgo and a few other things to measure and look at.
I just need a charger that works and is reliable.
Thanks for trying though. I really do appreciate it.

However, I don't understand how a 12 volt computer power supply can give me 29.2 volts I need for my cells.
Baffles me sorry. :)

However, I don't understand how a 12 volt computer power supply can give me 29.2 volts I need for my cells.
Baffles me sorry. :)
Not a problem on the charger requirements.
As a side note, to answer your 12v question - it is converted inside the charger itself, it must have some sort of boost converter (search "boost converter module") which converts the input voltage to the 1s - 8s voltage it needs to charge.

Not a problem on the charger requirements.
As a side note, to answer your 12v question - it is converted inside the charger itself, it must have some sort of boost converter (search "boost converter module") which converts the input voltage to the 1s - 8s voltage it needs to charge.
I see. I understand how it can change say 30 volts to 12. I use a buck converter all the time. But to go BOTH ways in one unit?
VERY cool. :)

That

would blow out the receptacle in my wall LOL.
It is only good for about 1,000 watts sadly.
Thanks though just the same. :)
Most wall outlets in North America from the past 50 years or so are rated for 15 amps. The is a high rate charger, but it is also very efficient. You would not want to run any high current device on the same circuit (hair dryer, space heater, etc)
They are actually quite nicely sized for small inverter generators. 9 amps is just right. Might be a bit overkill for you in capacity and price.
The price difference between a 4 hour charge and an 8 hour charge is significant.

Most wall outlets in North America from the past 50 years or so are rated for 15 amps. The is a high rate charger, but it is also very efficient. You would not want to run any high current device on the same circuit (hair dryer, space heater, etc)
They are actually quite nicely sized for small inverter generators. 9 amps is just right. Might be a bit overkill for you in capacity and price.
The price difference between a 4 hour charge and an 8 hour charge is significant.
I live in city housing. Not only is the electricity badly done. I lived without heat for two winters because the heater died.
It is just the way the disabled and seniors are treated in Vancouver Canada if you are poor.
Heck, just last Monday a friend of mine was at the doctors and told the nurse he had to go to the bathroom and she refused to let him go. So sadly he peed himself.
They treated him badly because they can.
We told people about it [like other nurses] and they acted like "oh well, that is just the way things work here". No one cares.
Well it is like this with the electricity here. They did nothing about the bathroom lights sparking etc until they had 3 or 4 fires that threatened to destroy the whole building. THEN they decided to fix them. The fact that people could have died from electric shock was of no concern to the mayor etc.

So yeah, 1,000 watts sounds like not much, but at least we have some. If they could give us less they would,
The wire in the walls is only 14 gauge. And runs well over 50 feet one way. So more than 100 feet total.

And no, I can not run the kettle and anything else at the same time here.
I have one outlet on one side I share with the next room. And another outlet on the other side I share with the other room.
Two outlets for the room. And both are shared.

So THAT is why I have to be specific and picky about what I get for a battery charger.

Hope this helps you understand better. :)

14 AWG is pretty standard for a 15A circuit and 50 feet is not that far but if that won't work...it won't work.

WOW, no clue why but Victron wants the following control of my phone.
This app has access to:
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20
  • approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20
Storage

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20
Photos/Media/Files

Other
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • full network access
  • prevent device from sleeping

No chance I am letting them have precise GPS location AND the right to modify or delete my stuff on my phone.
Never happening.
It was looking good until then.

Well so much for Victron then.
I didn't know they were the usual online scum.
Now I know and will never use or recommend them ever again.

Thanks everyone for the heads up and warnings. :)

EDIT: And all this power over my phone just so I can charge batteries?
Sorry but that is WAY too much power to give strangers over my phone and its contents.
Never happening.
Ok, bluetooth is the root of all evil here.
Newer low power bluetooth spec calls location services. It wants to know how far you are from the device to adjust power.
Storage locations, media access, etc. This is asking to be able to store configuration data, like what voltage you want to charge, how long, etc. If you don't want to be forced to enter this every time you reboot your phone, it must be able to write the configuration.
Network access and bluetooth settings? Bluetooth settings should be obvious, it's talking to a bluetooth device. Bluetooth can also be used for network traffic. Prevent device from sleeping is so it can tell you the charge is complete, or if a problem has occurred.

Yes, in this instance they are all legitimate.

Newer low power bluetooth spec calls location services. It wants to know how far you are from the device to adjust power.
Storage locations, media access, etc. This is asking to be able to store configuration data, like what voltage you want to charge, how long, etc. If you don't want to be forced to enter this every time you reboot your phone, it must be able to write the configuration.
Network access and bluetooth settings? Bluetooth settings should be obvious, it's talking to a bluetooth device. Bluetooth can also be used for network traffic. Prevent device from sleeping is so it can tell you the charge is complete, or if a problem has occurred.

I never said it is the root of all evil. You did.
Also the company [any company] dos not need your gps for the bluetooth to know how far away it is from another blue tooth device. Never did before, doesn't need to now.

I have had a few programs on my phone that used blue tooth that never needed to MODIFY AND DELETE my personal information and/or data and contacts etc etc.
It is only needed because they want to monitor you for their own monetary benefit when they sell your information.

I call it what it is. Spyware mixed with malware.

I have no use for it myself.

If you want to believe it is legitimate then fine.
That is your choice.
However I know it is just scummy that they think they deserve to:
  • And have FULL access to my network coming and going etc.
They have no business knowing absolutely every single thing of what is on my device just so I can use a wireless device.
And where the heck do they get the right to delete my stuff or modify it? WTF?
Sorry but never happening again.
It did when I first got a smart phone. But never again.

But thanks for your opinion. I am sure you truly believe what you write and that for you it is totally legitimate for a company to have more control over your phone than you do.

Just as a for instance. The bluetooth app I use for the Daly BMS is on a phone with no phone card in it and it just works without needing to modify or delete my data. NOR does it need to know where I live etc as it can't because it does not even have a card in it.
So no, Victron does NOT need to do all of those things for it to work because Daly sure as heck doesn't.
So yet further PROOF Victron is just another scum company.

So believe what you want to believe.
I will stick to the facts and even the proof right here in front of me.
Well that and over two decades of working with computers [which I know means nothing here].

Just as a for instance. The bluetooth app I use for the Daly BMS is on a phone with no phone card in it and it just works without needing to modify or delete my data. NOR does it need to know where I live etc as it can't because it does not even have a card in it.
So no, Victron does NOT need to do all of those things for it to work because Daly sure as heck doesn't.
So yet further PROOF Victron is just another scum company.

So believe what you want to believe.
I will stick to the facts and even the proof right here in front of me.
Well that and over two decades of working with computers [which I know means nothing here].
Daly does not support low power bluetooth, that's why.
You don't need to prove anything to me.

Older versions of Android don't support some of these "ask for permission" features.

I will continue to collect my pension from Motorola even if you don't agree, believe, or experience different behavior. I am just telling you why, please feel free to not agree or believe.

Daly does not support low power bluetooth, that's why.
You don't need to prove anything to me.

Older versions of Android don't support some of these "ask for permission" features.

I will continue to collect my pension from Motorola even if you don't agree, believe, or experience different behavior. I am just telling you why, please feel free to not agree or believe.

So the "low power" bluetooth app in your phone has enough power to send your private info to an ISP but not enough to find a bluetooth within 30 feet?
So according to you ALL phones now have sheeety blue tooth power and so they need to modify and delete your private info and send your location private info to Victron in order to work?
Wow. Just wow.
LOLOLOLOL:ROFLMAO:
Ok sure.
Enjoy your pension.

Victron is a legitimate company that must adhere to the (much more strict) privacy data restrictions of the European union (not the "whatever, you agreed to, it's fair game what we do with it" like North America).

All others are based in China.
Believe, don't believe, argue, blame, whatever you want, arguing, blaming me, or whatever, I don't really care.
For all others, this explains WHY apps asks for permissions, the reasons are not always obvious. Most of them are legitimate.
Daly asks for location data, but in actuality, it doesn't require it, they and the Chinese government are just apparently very interested in it.
Some people have hacked things to report empty fields in the middle of nowhere as their location, others just select "only while application is open" simply so they can use it.

Some of us have actual knowledge and share it. Others argue about the sun rising in the east and wonder why people are reluctant to help.
You could always put me back on ignore.

Motorola paid for my house (paid off a decade early) and I'm quite happy with that, a pension that I draw from them might be small, but it is very much appreciated. Motorola is now a Chinese owned and operated company (Lenovo owns them now). Motorola Solutions is a small part that is left in the USA (with developers still in many different countries) that is primarily involved in "sensitive" work that can't be outsourced or sold to foreign entities (Secret Service communications system, DHS communications systems, etc). I've worked for both, and General Dynamics, the Air Force, etc. Take it or leave it, doesn't really matter if you agree or disagree, it just is what it is. The sun also rises in the east, and sets in the west.

I'm no expert in Bluetooth, but if you have any questions about RFC-2002 I would be glad to answer. That I helped architect for iDEN, MIRS, Nextel, and (in Canada) Mike. The Motorola implementation of Tetra (European standard), is based on the Nextel code base, so I'm pretty up on that as well.

Back