diy solar

diy solar

Any issues with High voltage from array to Charge controller? 425V

hbulle13

I have an LVX 6048 for an off-grid cabin. It says it can take voltages from 120-450v. I have to put the array over 100 feet from the cabin so planned to put 14-250W panels in series (2 arrays of 14) outputting a maximum 424.2V and 16.57A from a combiner box near the array. I bought Temco 8AWG solar cable rated at 600 Volts to run from the combiner to the LVX6048. I was told that by going over 250V, I may run into problems because it would be considered commercial and need different inspections? I am in rural Montana, so I doubt it will ever be an issue, but If I sold the place later, an inspection may raise the issue.

There is only one Solar input on the LVX6048.

Can I run 100 to 150 feet of solar cable at 450Volts 16.5 Amps? I will bury it...Do I need conduit?
I have enough 8AWG solar cable to make two runs from the array to the cabin. So I can configure 2 sets of 7S2P and run each pair separately to the cabin at 212V/16.5A each, but I would have to connect both to one input on the 6048.

Any alternate ideas, or issues that anyone sees?

Thank you.

There is only one Solar input on the LVX6048.
You can combine multiple inputs right before you route them into the LVX6048 - so I wouldn't let that get in the way of a decision.
I'd recommend a breaker just prior to connecting to the LV - so 1 or 2 depending on what you decide - and you can use that box as the combiner.

Can I run 100 to 150 feet of solar cable at 450Volts 16.5 Amps? I will bury it...Do I need conduit?
100-150f is not what I call a long run. 8awg and 16.5a is overkill in terms of power loss.

Voltage - the specs for the LV are only 450vdc and at 424v you may be cutting a bit close for hyper VoC - e.g. cold temps (snow) could raise the voltage from 424v to over 450v - you'll want to do the calculation of temp vs coefficient specs for the panels.

Conduit... there are codes in some places (like mine) but the more important issue (to me) is you want to make sure its wire that has a coating that doesn't need conduit. If you don't have that kind of wire it won't pass inspection (for sure) but worse it will break down over time on you.

I have enough 8AWG solar cable to make two runs from the array to the cabin. So I can configure 2 sets of 7S2P and run each pair separately to the cabin at 212V/16.5A each, but I would have to connect both to one input on the 6048.
Me - I would run as many sets of wires as you can, whether you use them or not. For example:
1) You do 2 strings - this let's you test each string separately to narrow down which set of panels might be having trouble.
2) You do 2 strings - no problem with hyper VoC going over 450v

3) You do 1 string but have another set of wire available OR you do 2 strings - either way you can EXPAND!! (I love expanding :) )

4) I ran 4 sets of 6awg wire from my ground mount to the house but only used 3 of them - this gives me an option of feeding power *backwards* out to the array for powering a shed in the yard or other - who knows. Extra wire is quite often useful for the future.

Last edited:
I have an LVX 6048 for an off-grid cabin. It says it can take voltages from 120-450v. I have to put the array over 100 feet from the cabin so planned to put 14-250W panels in series (2 arrays of 14) outputting a maximum 424.2V and 16.57A from a combiner box near the array.
There is something wrong with your calculation I think. 250w panels are generally 38voc/9a or so. So 14x38 is 532ish. That will do bad things to your LVX6048 even in mild weather.

If you mean 2 arrays of 7s, then no worries.

There is something wrong with your calculation I think. 250w panels are generally 38voc/9a or so. So 14x38 is 532ish. That will do bad things to your LVX6048 even in mild weather.

If you mean 2 arrays of 7s, then no worries.
And that's what I get for not reading the whole message :p

7S2P should be fine. I would put each string on a breaker so you can turn them off if needed.

I would definitely bury it in conduit, because let's face it, you are going to get those cables at some point with a shovel, backhoe, auger, etc... It's just the nature of mankind :p

Back