diy solar

diy solar

Any REC BMS or CAN Bus Guru's Here?

svHope

Hello, I have recently added a Victron Cerbo device to my test bench LiFePo4 battery set up. I have a 4S REC BMS with a CAN Bus connector. Is there anyone who can help me get meaningful info from the BMS to the Cerbo (such as SOC or Cell voltages) so I can use the info? One of my issues that I am trying to deal with is the SOC from the BMS does not equal the SOC on the Victron Battery Monitor with a smart shunt (BMV-712). I would like the option to use the more safe SOC to switch my Charge Bus relay. I can'tTest_Bench03_30_2021.jpgTest_Bench03_30_2021.jpgTest_Bench03_30_2021.jpgTest_Bench03_30_2021.jpgTest_Bench03_30_2021.jpgTest_Bench03_30_2021.jpg seem to get started and haven't been able to find what I need from the manual(s).

In the REC manual it gives you the settings that you need to configure within the CERBO remote console. One difference I found was to plug into the VE-CAN port on the CERBO rather than the BMS-CAN port and set CAN-1 settings to VE.CAN & CAN-bus BMS (250 kbit/s). You can set this at: Settings/Services

If you are using 3rd party (non-REC) current shunt, you should program to BMS shunt voltage coefficient (how to calculate it - see REC Bms manual), otherwise if it differs from RECs shunt, the BMS makes wrong current measurements.

Last edited:
Hello, I have recently added a Victron Cerbo device to my test bench LiFePo4 battery set up. I have a 4S REC BMS with a CAN Bus connector. Is there anyone who can help me get meaningful info from the BMS to the Cerbo (such as SOC or Cell voltages) so I can use the info? One of my issues that I am trying to deal with is the SOC from the BMS does not equal the SOC on the Victron Battery Monitor with a smart shunt (BMV-712). I would like the option to use the more safe SOC to switch my Charge Bus relay. I can'tView attachment 43373eem to get started and haven't been able to find what I need from the manual(s).
Sorry for the multiple pictures. I'm not sure how to delete all but one. If anyone knows how to do so, please advise.

Thank you for your responses. I will try your suggestion Shinebox. BTW, In the REC manual, I didnt see anyreference to Cerbo. I am not too IT savvy so it may be there and just not spelled ou in a IT for dummies format.

Sisenis, I am using the REC shunt in the "battery box" and the Victron BMV-712 shunt for the charge bus relay.

Thanks Shinebox, I’m up and running now. But a possible follow up question. I’m not sure how to set the parameters for relay 1 or possibly relay 2 based on the REC SOC levels? I suppose I could set up relay 1 for generator on/off and use relay 1 for the BMS SOC that way but I’d like to use that gen set up possibly later.

Back