diy solar

diy solar

Any recorded line worker deaths/injuries from domestic grid tie solar?

Lineman have absolutely died due to backfeeding.

That's why this is illegal.
absolutely!!!

this most certainly happens which is why when it comes to grid tie, I would never consider that a DIY without some major help/over the shoulder watching.

Whether or not it's occurred due to grid tied solar is irrelevant because backfeeding is backfeeding. If they discover a backfeed during a power outage, and they will, you'll be experiencing these consequences yourself even if nobody is ever harmed.

If someone is harmed or killed obviously the consequences are much higher.
I'd be interested to see a link to anyone (homeowner back feeding) who has ever experienced these consequences... While there absolutely should be consequences, I seriously doubt there are..

As for incidences of linemen being electrocuted by stupid homeowners, here's one:

I'm still intrigued as to how a properly implemented GTI, even if terribly installed, could back-feed unless the inverter itself goes faulty
The issuse likely doesn't rise from properly implimented GTI systems. But from legacy systems were you could connect any old inverter to your electrical box and run a mechanical wheel meter backward if you were supplying enough from your solar.

The issuse likely doesn't rise from properly implimented GTI systems. But from legacy systems were you could connect any old inverter to your electrical box and run a mechanical wheel meter backward if you were supplying enough from your solar.

New electronic meters still allow back feeding.

Whether or not it's occurred due to grid tied solar is irrelevant because backfeeding is backfeeding. If they discover a backfeed during a power outage, and they will, you'll be experiencing these consequences yourself even if nobody is ever harmed.

If someone is harmed or killed obviously the consequences are much higher.
Electric companies have standards and procedures for people to apply to back feed, how do you think they get credit for electricity sent up the line? It is only illegal if you do it without their consent. This is one reason why you have to have shut disconnect switches at the panels, So they can turn the solar power off. Sol-Ark will automatically shut down back feeding if it doesn’t detect electricity from the grid.

I'd be interested to see a link to anyone (homeowner back feeding) who has ever experienced these consequences... While there absolutely should be consequences, I seriously doubt there are..

As for incidences of linemen being electrocuted by stupid homeowners, here's one:
Power company pulled the meter of a place that was found to be back feeding after hurricane Fran paid a visit to North Carolina. Those folks waited a long time to get things turned back on. Pretty sure there were fines involved as well. A few folks died from carbon monoxide due to running the generators in garages ect. New was constantly saying not to run generators indoors and don't just plug into the house wiring.

Power company pulled the meter of a place that was found to be back feeding after hurricane Fran paid a visit to North Carolina. Those folks waited a long time to get things turned back on. Pretty sure there were fines involved as well. A few folks died from carbon monoxide due to running the generators in garages ect. New was constantly saying not to run generators indoors and don't just plug into the house wiring.

Every wide spread power outage involves people dying because they poisoned themselves with carbon monoxide.
I think its nature's way of thinning the heard of stupid people.

It is most disturbing when the stupid parents kill their own innocent children who never get a chance to grow up.

One of my close friends rented a vacant home he owns to his daughter and her boyfriend.. After meeting the boyfriend, I told my friend the guy was a moron.. took me all of 10 minutes talking to him to figure that out.

Sure enough, during a 3 day power outage, my friend when to check on them and found the idiot set the generator up in the garage.. No one harmed because it had only been running for a few hours, but when he plugged the CO detector in, it wouldn't shut up until they opened all the windows for an hour.

Someone stole the wires going into the chicken processing plants (weekend) that were live.... Never were caught.

Same area a line worker died due to feedback from a genset...

I know here they run some sort of line from all the lines down to the ground on both sides of where they work. I assume this should protect the actual workers.

I know here they run some sort of line from all the lines down to the ground on both sides of where they work. I assume this should protect the actual workers.

Those are grounds, high voltage line dead short to neutral typically 4/0.

If any other line worker closes a fuse it’ll automatically blow. Visual opens and grounds are the go to safety measures. Same with anyone back feeding then line.

Electric companies have standards and procedures for people to apply to back feed, how do you think they get credit for electricity sent up the line? It is only illegal if you do it without their consent. This is one reason why you have to have shut disconnect switches at the panels, So they can turn the solar power off. Sol-Ark will automatically shut down back feeding if it doesn’t detect electricity from the grid.
Yeah bud. None of that is the point.

Backfeeding itself isn't an issue when done properly.

Backfeeding when the grid is down is what we're discussing in this context.

How about we flip this to how many have died do to bad/poor/no maintenance on electrical lines? In my small area alone I could make a long list of neglected line issues despite fires happening on a regular basis, despite the power company spending a good bit of money having the lines cleared.

The one case I read about they didn't remove 15 minutes of fuses/disconnects and it cost someone their life. Yes it was the homeowners ultimate failure (backfeeding) but those fuses/disconnect should have also been removed.

How about we flip this to how many have died do to bad/poor/no maintenance on electrical lines? In my small area alone I could make a long list of neglected line issues despite fires happening on a regular basis, despite the power company spending a good bit of money having the lines cleared.

The one case I read about they didn't remove 15 minutes of fuses/disconnects and it cost someone their life. Yes it was the homeowners ultimate failure (backfeeding) but those fuses/disconnect should have also been removed.
I am not understanding, the only reason to backfeed is to get the credits. Why would someone do it without any benefits. However some people with generators do not understand that you need a transfer switch to plug a generator into your home to keep from backfeeding, now that happens a lot

I am not understanding, the only reason to backfeed is to get the credits. Why would someone do it without any benefits. However some people with generators do not understand that you need a transfer switch to plug a generator into your home to keep from backfeeding, now that happens a lot
They do it when the power goes out because they need to power their own home and are too cheap and stupid to use a transfer switch.

That's all there is to it lol

They do it not knowing what they are actually accomplishing. All they know is their lights are on.

Someone back-feeding their dryer outlet can actually energize the high voltage circuit and turn on the lights of their neighbors house.

Back