diy solar

diy solar

Any suggestions How to mount panels to "Z-purlin"??

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
I have sort of asked this before - BUT this time we have "true" z-purlins with that little curve lip on the end that's killing us ... We have about 60 panels to mount and instead of them sending us the mounting hardware equipment we requested - they sent us these 20 foot long "Z-channel" / "Z-purlins" (with the flip curve on the ends) to mount the 455 watt solar panels on. Me and my colleague have searched the internet most of the morning trying to determine the best way other than drilling 4,500,000,000,000,003 holes in the z purlin and then mounting the panels via screws but can't find anything really as easy or cost effective that we are looking for....

any suggestions???

How about using self tapping screws and a washer. Screw goes through the washer, then screw into the z purlin from above (and between) the solar panels. Substitute the washer for whatever you think works best.
What gauge Z purlins are you using? I may give it a try, so let me know what works for you.

Hanging from z’s you can use a beam clamp ( not cheap these days).
Morris and caddy make a line of suspension brackets. I don’t know if any of those would fit your needs.

Engineer775 uses Z purlins often. There’s some kind of part made to hook on the purlin. Maybe look back thru his videos to see what it was

Back