diy solar

diy solar

Any suggestions on ground mount materials that won't break the bank?

Noho

So far, I have done a bunch of research on my off grid home solar project that I plan to start after the so cal heat stops (October). I'll need to finish it before 2023. I want 16-18 panels and plan to mount them on my south facing 35 degree hill behind my house. Home Depot want $90 for one-ten foot long 1.5" pipe. That's unreal! I saw videos on using heavy duty sign posts, but can't source them near me. The other option is wood. I haven't checked with the local permit office yet, but if I can at this point I plan to use wood. Anybody have experience with building a ground mount with these high steel prices?

Pffff ... recently priced 2"x2" x 1/16" @20' thinwall tubing at $90. I'll wait till the prices drop.

Do some leg work at industrial supply houses and you will probably find more reasonable pricing on pipe. As recently as May I purchased 3” schedule 40 pipe at $8.60 per foot delivered. You can still get both 12 and 14 gauge unistrut at Home Depot in my area at about $30 per 10 feet. You can get 3.5” u-bolts for $7 or so dollars each at tractor supply store to attach unistrut to pipe. I have about 12 kW of panels on 4 ground mounts using this method. 12 gauge unistrut mounted to pipe and then 14 gauge mounted to it. 60 cell panels work well mounting like this. If you are not worried about wind much 2” pipe is fine. I’m using the iron ridge top cap from tandem solar to connect my vertical and horizontal pipe, if I could weld I’d make my on. I’m using 3 vertical pipes with 2 16’ horizontal pipes. Able to install with just my 16 year old helping. The dollars add up but it’s easily DIY. If you have help or can keep them low you can use 21’ pipe. I have to put mine high do to low level shade, horizontal pipe is 10 feet above grade with 5’ in ground and 300# concrete.

Back