diy solar

diy solar

Any suggestions.

KWM

One of my biggest advantages is I live in Saint George Utah. We get sunlight most of the year and for solar power that's wonderful. Saint George is just a couple of hours north of Las Vegas with a similar climate.

My disadvantage is I'm not a techie kind of a guy so I've taken a simple approach to my solar emergency preparedness system. My goal is to run two freezers one refrigerator and perhaps several other smaller items off the solar system if we loose power as a result of a natural disaster.

Hopefully My Solar System:
1. MPP SOLAR Hybrid 2400w Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter with MPPT Solar Charger
2. Two Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel
3. 4 TROJAN BATTERY T-105 12V. Unless I can find two Lithium 12v batteries at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

The only other concern I have is the wiring limitations (distance) between the Solar Panels and the MPP Solar Inverter/Charger.

I would gladly welcome any suggestions or corrections you feel would be in order to keep me from making mistakes some of you have probably already made in the past. I would appreciate your expertise.

Ken - k1w2m3@gmail.com

Link #1 in my signature, energy audit. Check the power consumption of the items you wish to run, hours to run, etc. This will help you determine if the system is sized properly. Your panels are definitely not sufficient for even one fridge.

Link #5 in my signature will tell you exactly how many solar hours you have available in your area.

Wiring from the panels to the SCC is generally a non issue. The panel wiring is often 10awg, and you'll likely have them in series meaning they'll present higher voltage to the SCC and have less losses due to long wire runs. Input your parameters into this calculator:

Since you have variable loads with the freezers and fridge, the best way to do the required energy audit is to get a Kill A Watt meter, or similar, and plug in the units to measure actual energy usage over time. Spoiler alert, it's going to take more than 200W of solar.

If you have a regular frost-free, full size fridge, it will draw a lot on its defrost cycle. So monitoring with a kill-a-watt meter over at least a couple of days, to catch that cycle, will give useful info for planning.

Back