diy solar

diy solar

Any takers for the new EV outboard, $80,000 dollars and range of 30 miles

OffGridIdaho

Hobby Farm in N Idaho
Im sorry, whats wrong with gas or diesel again?
Love the title "Raises the bar"!
More like "Flushes the toilet".

$80,000, is just for the motor. From the article: "Selecting a battery pack will tack on another €79,800 to 239,400 (US$85,550 to 256,650), depending upon capacity."

I prefer a trolling motor and a 100ah Lifepo4.

And only 30 miles. FWIW, for the price of that motor, you can buy an entire brand new electric boat with a range of 30 miles. They duffy electric boat has been manufactured since the 70's and accomplishes that.

We installed an electric propulsion conversion from old inboard diesel in a classic sailboat years ago. As often happens there was scope creep as the owner wanted more comforts like a big inverter to run everything including air conditioning (since he had a big battery.) But the battery isn't as big as you think so later he wanted us to add a DC generator in the place where the inboard engine originally was to ensure range and comforts.

We were working out the details and he was asking questions about how the power would flow and if he could have propulsion with other loads etc. We were pushing some current limits and etc.

At one point I made a tongue in cheek comment that since the diesel generator crankshaft was right there and in line with the main propellor shaft that we could just rig up a belt or chain and drive the propellor right off the diesel engine. It would be so much more efficient than converting to DC power for the electric motor. His face lit up for a brief second but then it hit him.

LOL...Still funny years later.

To be fair, it can run WOT at 50mph for almost 2 hours and take you 110 miles if you buy the giant tank battery. If price were no object, those numbers get me out of bed. I would never buy their psychotically priced batteries. I'd build my own for 1/100th the price, but the price of the motor doesn't seem too far outside of current industry trends. Electric is super low-demand this early on, so big premiums are the only way they can get them built in the first place. IMO, there's no Gas vs. Electric narrative that will ever have legs in marine. Both are boutique, niche markets. They'll always perform so differently. Neither will ever be in the other's way like in the car market. In fact, people who can afford a Merc 300 (or six, why not?) will probably not complain about the Evoy's price. Electric is commonly 20-50% higher than the Merc equivalent in every HP class. The new Evoy tracks with that. If I had a billion dollars? I might buy it.

I'm trying to imagine the noise level at planing speed. It would be so odd to have no ICE noise.

I have a Side-by-Side in Costa Rica and I explore all over the jungle with it and I love everything about it except the damn noise. It is loud, loud. Like permanent hearing loss loud if you spent a lot of time in it at higher speeds with no ear protection.

I fantasize about a day when I could have a high performance EV SxS that has enough range to do the kinds of things we like to do.

Also would be so much more likely to view critters in the jungle who are scared off when you are a mile away.

Polaris makes an EV side by side already.

Very capable but not the range of my 570 Ranger.

The 570 ICE engine is also very loud, I use earplugs.

RichRebuilds episode on the cybertruck-inspired electric side-by-side is one of my favorite EV builds on the internet. I'm in Havasu. Literally everone has a side-by-side except me (just came to town this past year). But I don't think anyone has electric yet. I think you'd have to commission it or build it yourself. That would be a fun build, but I've got a million boats to build first.

bet at 50mph it's pretty loud, just a different kind of loud. But at cruising speeds, it's probably a dream
50mph is a cruising speed.
Any planing speed is cruising.
A WOT cruising speed, and a bit fast for a ‘standard’ runabout, but is a cruising speed.

I'm trying to imagine the noise level at planing speed. It would be so odd to have no ICE noise.
I got in a boat powered by these. It's remarkably quiet at cruise and not much louder at max speed. Outboard emissions requirements have been cranked in the last decades, they're different from the motors of years ago. An EV motor would be a lot more quiet.

1679595634974.png

I have a Side-by-Side in Costa Rica and I explore all over the jungle with it and I love everything about it except the damn noise. It is loud, loud. Like permanent hearing loss loud if you spent a lot of time in it at higher speeds with no ear protection.
I have a Polaris 900, it's not bad at all. I've driven the 175hp Can Am, not bad either stock. Course, we're under 40 mph most of the time.

I dont see how you quote "range" on 300hp EV outboard. Is there some "standard" configuration of boat that's assumed? Heck with have 19' bass boats that have 300hp here.

I got in a boat powered by these. It's remarkably quiet at cruise and not much louder at max speed. Outboard emissions requirements have been cranked in the last decades, they're different from the motors of years ago. An EV motor would be a lot more quiet.

View attachment 140987

I have a Polaris 900, it's not bad at all. I've driven the 175hp Can Am, not bad either stock. Course, we're under 40 mph most of the time.

I dont see how you quote "range" on 300hp EV outboard. Is there some "standard" configuration of boat that's assumed? Heck with have 19' bass boats that have 300hp here.

Horsepower can be converted to kW input power, and input power can be weighed against battery size to guesstimate range. Of course, factors like wind, current, boat weight, etc. weigh in as well but those extra factors will give you a margin of error of less than 5% in most cases. The main meat of range is all battery size vs motor full-throttle draw.

Here in Havasu, I have several neighbors who have side-by-sides. They're not so loud that i want to scream every time one fires up, but they are loud enough that I can tell which neighbor is going offroading from any room in my house with all the doors and windows closed. I think you're right that noise at speed on the water would mostly come from the wake so it wouldn't be much different with EV, but I suspect the noise from an EV side-by-side would be a substantial difference.

View attachment 140987
I'm very jealous of your quad Verados, BTW.

Here in Havasu, I have several neighbors who have side-by-sides. They're not so loud that i want to scream every time one fires up, but they are loud enough that I can tell which neighbor is going offroading from any room in my house with all the doors and windows closed. I think you're right that noise at speed on the water would mostly come from the wake so it wouldn't be much different with EV, but I suspect the noise from an EV side-by-side would be a substantial difference.
I live on a fairly "famous" recreational road. I love a good motor as much as anyone, but it's absolutely awful to live within 300' of that road sometimes. My state has no laws that restrict vehicle sound levels. And Lake Travis is about 2 blocks away - probably like Havasu with 1000 hp boats that run open headers on weekends. Both settle down at night, but it's shitty. Someone local has a BMW fetish running open exhaust, super annoying.

I have a buddy that bought a RZR. He wanted to put an exhaust on it. We all told him "hell no" - they've got more than enough power and what you want is stealth so you can get away with more mischief... I have a SxS also, stock exhaust, doesn't bother anyone.

Back