diy solar

diy solar

Any third-party software available for MPP solar systems?

s0l4rn00b

I have the MPP Solar 2424LV-MSD, and while it's been great so far, the software is just...well not so great. For one, the mac app doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. The windows app is fine, but I don't use windows very often. I would love something else that is more modern and streamlined, perhaps available on Mac or even a web app.

Has anyone found any third-party programs that work with this inverter/charge controller?

I still can't get either version of their software to work on MacOS. It seems the last few versions aren't supported or something.

Ever since Catalina, you can't run 32 bit apps on a mac anymore. If their MAC version is 32 bit then they would need to update their software to 64 bit. If it is already 64 bit but doesn't run then you may need to add the application to your MAC firewall - it should prompt you to do that automatically though.

Have you contacted them regarding the MAC issues?

@NCblueridge The app "runs" but doesn't connect to USB for whatever reason to show me any data. On windows it's fine so I know the cable works. I've tried different ports on my mac as well. I have not reached out, not entirely sure who to reach out to honestly.

@NCblueridge The app "runs" but doesn't connect to USB for whatever reason to show me any data. On windows it's fine so I know the cable works. I've tried different ports on my mac as well. I have not reached out, not entirely sure who to reach out to honestly.
Ok, does it give a specific error like "cannot connect to interface" or something else? I may look at one of those but would need MAC support also so want to make sure it would run on mine, I sent an email to them to see if they could provide any details about current MAC support since Catalina.

@NCblueridge Nope, nothing. That's where I'm lost. In your case, you could always use bootcamp, OR find a super cheap Windows laptop or tablet to run it through that. I have a battery meter I look at to see where my batteries at because that's all I really need once my settings are placed.

Hey Bud, Any luck with getting Watchpower to work on the Mac? I'm having the same connection issue.

Has anyone figured out if any versions of Watchpower for MAC work with any Mac OS?

I just spent 7.5 hours with an MPP tech going through my computer, only to have MPP tell me that (in order to solve the problem) they need a neck to connect with my computer.

I keep telling them that a Windows PC has no problem reading the Inverter via USB. But when I connect my Mac to the same USB cable the Watcher for Mac just sits there as if it doesn't see the computers USB port.

I've also explained to them that other people have the same problem - whereby it isn't just my computer.

And I've repeatedly asked them to explain what versions of Watchpower for Mac work with what Mac OS - and to provide downloads for all their prior versions of Watchpower for Mac. But they never respond in regard,

parallels comes to mind

not into mac's , but you may be able to run a windows 10/8/7 vm to solve your issues

parallels comes to mind

not into mac's , but you may be able to run a windows 10/8/7 vm to solve your issues
Not sure what you mean by "parallels". Do you mean Watchpower for Mac won't work if the inverter system is in 'parallel' config? Mine is 2 units in 240v

I have it running on a Windows machine now. But the Mac is my always on machine, and I have other inverter software that runs on it; and don't really have room for 2 machines or an extra power drain.

Why annoys me is that MMP keeps ignoring my simple request for Watchpower and Mac OS version compatibility matches.

Has anyone found any third-party programs that work with this inverter/charge controller?
Solar Assistant

I have a clone PIP Voltronic style inverter (same basic architecture as the MPP) and use Solar Assistant on a Raspberry Pi connected via USB to the inverter. The RPi is dedicated to running Solar Assistant.

Then you just use a browser to interact with Solar Assistant. This way you need not be concerned with what operating system you are using and you can use it with any smart phone, tablet, laptop, PC. Way, way better than the awful Watchpower.

Provides monitoring, charting, energy stats and also control over most of the inverter's settings. You need a local wifi/LAN for the RPi to connect with and you can interact with it via local IP address as well as view/manage it remotely as well.

Also enables integration with Home Assistant. I use that to control a smart switch for my pool pump which monitors battery state of charge so the pump shuts off at a certain threshold.

Not sure what you mean by "parallels".
Parallels is software on a Mac which enables you to run an alternative operating system alongside Mac OS, e.g. you can run a Windows OS partition on your Mac, in "parallel". There are a few types of software which enable this on a Mac. I have one called VMware Fusion. Operates just like a Windows laptop then, all comms ports work as expected.

I don't use it anymore, I used to as I had special software, one only operated on MacOS and another which only operated on Windows.

Oh. That 'Parallels'.

I just don't understand is why I can't find posts from anyone claiming to be successfully using Watchpower on a Mac - no less posts explaining what version of Watchpower or Mac OS they use.

When I asked MPP Solar if they've ever seen Watchpower running on a Mac, and what Versions of Watchpower and OS were used, they answered only by saying that they wouldn't have offered a Mac version if it didn't work.

Oh. That 'Parallels'.

I just don't understand is why I can't find posts from anyone claiming to be successfully using Watchpower on a Mac - no less posts explaining what version of Watchpower or Mac OS they use.

When I asked MPP Solar if they've ever seen Watchpower running on a Mac, and what Versions of Watchpower and OS were used, they answered only by saying that they wouldn't have offered a Mac version if it didn't work.
to make you feel better..
havent been able to get watchpower running well on linux either

I have the MPP Solar 2424LV-MSD, and while it's been great so far, the software is just...well not so great. For one, the mac app doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. The windows app is fine, but I don't use windows very often. I would love something else that is more modern and streamlined, perhaps available on Mac or even a web app.

Check this thread out! I just did, and I'm blown away with how cool the ShineMonitor.com interface is compared with WatchPower, and you can access it from anything with a browser! Amazing!!

If anyone wants to run Watchpower on a Mac, and hasn't been able to get it to work, I found that the Mac needs to be connected to the Inverter's RS232 serial port rather than the USB port.

To do that get a USB to Serial adapter - but make sure it has the FTDI chip set and not the Prolific chip set.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759HSLP1. I tried adapters using both chip sets and could only get the FTDI chip set to work.

Back