diy solar

diy solar

Any thoughts on how to keep batteries at best levels.

jpcjtrtj

I camp in an RV with 2 92 AH SLA batteries; and use about 175 watts a day. Also, I work on a computer/monitor running off a solar suitcase with a 60 ah LiPO4 battery and a 600 watt inverter. Off that system, I also run a 6 watt cell booster, charge a couple iPhones once a day and charge an iPad and IMac once a day. I charge the computer for about half the day and work on the battery about half the day. During the day I have been getting about 180 watts out of my 200 watts of solar panels at solar noon (near Santa Cruz, Ca) and run that thru 20amp SCCs to each battery set. I typically move the panel input to the briefcase at noon and back to the trailer when the suitcase hits 14.5 volts and the amps drop significantly. Today that was at 3.

So far, the trailer set is at 12.9 v and the suitcase is at 13.1 V. And it seems sustainable for a week at a time (we are on day 3 of this trip). Is this the best way to do this? It seems kind of random. Is there a better way?

You may be able to simplify the setup by connecting the LiPO4 in parallel to the SLAs and leave the SCC connected to both.
Wait till the V is the same for both batteries before connecting.
Are the SLAs connected to the RV starting system? If so the large current that the LiPO4 can put out may be a problem for the connection or for any BMS.
Connecting 2 dissimilar battery types isn't usually recommended. However, all your stated figures are within the parameters for both types and you are already using the same CC for the 2 so there shouldn't be any detrimental effect to battery life just for the week.

My "Rv" is a trailer and the SLAs are the house batteries for that which are outside (although I'm waiting for 4 280 AH Eve Cells to make in inside house battery with 1.5 as much AH). The suitcase is inside running all the work electronics . . . I have SCCs for each so, so far, it's moving the solar panel wires from the outside to the inside at random times . . . . It works, so I guess I won't try to come up with something better.

The real hard work is reorienting the solar panels during the day to maximize the Solar Panel output. I haven't broken down and mounted solar on the trailer . . . yet. . .

I have SCCs for each
I missed that. They maybe calibrated for each type of battery
If these are PWMs you can run them in parallel to the panel, Save you having to monitor and switch over to each battery.
Not possible if they have Mppt.

Both are mppt...pretty excited that 200 watts of panels kept me up and running for 5 days with no generator. Good sun this trip. House sla batteries are at 100%; suitcase lipo4 is 12.9 (whatever that means ). Didn’t charge suitcase at all today.

Back