diy solar

diy solar

Any Victron Experts out there? Diferent Versions of the Phoenix 12/1200va?

Marinepower

Solar Enthusiast
There seems to two different versions of this inverter 1200va (1000 watt) available . Victron Pin# 121220500 for about USD $300 (this could be discontinued stock)

1606817009621.png

and Pin 122120500 for about $400.

1606817272568.png
The only difference I can see from the spec sheet is the more expensive model has VE connect abilities where as the other does not. For my application this does not matter. There are other minor differences like the external case and the input cable is fixed on the cheaper unit.

Actually output specs look better on the cheaper unit.

Am I missing something here? The cheaper unit seems significantly older and perhaps discontinued. But apart from that, any reason not to buy it. Were the old models noisy (fan) for eg? Or other reason?

Thxs for any advise from those who know these Victron units. I will be mail ordering, so a return will be impractical. BTW - I will be driving a 800watt, resistive load.

MP

Last edited:
I do not see the one without V.E. Direct on their web site so my guess is that it is an older model.

Vicron makes rock solid equipment so I would not be concerned about installing an older model.

Note: I am *not* a Victron expert, but I have used a lot of their gear.

I do not see the one without V.E. Direct on their web site so my guess is that it is an older model.

Vicron makes rock solid equipment so I would not be concerned about installing an older model.

Note: I am *not* a Victron expert, but I have used a lot of their gear.
Follow up on my original post. I ended up with the older Victron 1200va model (121220500) and it arrived last week.

Seems very solid. See pic of internals below.

No trouble with a 700 watt test load. Did not get hot at all. Fan noise is certainly there - but not excessive / annoying. Would be nice if the fan ramped up in stages. When on power-save / eco mode - you can hear it cycle as it searches for a load.

Can't compare to new VE direct model, which may be better in all these regards.

This inverter can be found for around USD 230. That seems like a good deal for a quality 1000W pure sine wave inverter (with remote shut off).

Attachments

• IMG_6627.JPG
    IMG_6627.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
One further observation on this inverter which may be an issue for some, idle current with no load is about 1.2 amps for a 12 volt system. That's a lot of standby power for a 1000 watt inverter and more than the spec sheet lists (8 watts). There is an eco / search mode , which is less but I don't have the equipment to accurately measured it.

Reactions: Dzl
Follow up on my original post. I ended up with the older Victron 1200va model (121220500) and it arrived last week.

Seems very solid. See pic of internals below.

No trouble with a 700 watt test load. Did not get hot at all. Fan noise is certainly there - but not excessive / annoying. Would be nice if the fan ramped up in stages. When on power-save / eco mode - you can hear it cycle as it searches for a load.

Can't compare to new VE direct model, which may be better in all these regards.

This inverter can be found for around USD 230. That seems like a good deal for a quality 1000W pure sine wave inverter (with remote shut off).
Is it able to startup high in -rush current load such as fridge compressor?
I have been looking for TOROID based inverter for awhile and I did not know that Victron makes them.

Follow-up: One is Phoenix series ($231, it has 1.5M battery cables attached) and the other one is Phoenix VE Direct series ($362). So I just order the $231 one with free shipping and no TAX! for California, cannot beat that price for 1000W (1200VA) TORIOD based inverter from VICTRON. It is a really good deal and I'm so glad I stumble into this thread. Thanks Marinepower. I will test it with my full size 20 years old 25cu ft fridge, it has in-rush current of 15A.

Last edited:
Is it able to startup high in -rush current load such as fridge compressor?
I have been looking for TOROID based inverter for awhile and I did not know that Victron makes them.

Follow-up: One is Phoenix series ($231, it has 1.5M battery cables attached) and the other one is Phoenix VE Direct series ($362). So I just order the $231 one with free shipping and no TAX! for California, cannot beat that price for 1000W (1200VA) TORIOD based inverter from VICTRON. It is a really good deal and I'm so glad I stumble into this thread. Thanks Marinepower. I will test it with my full size 20 years old 25cu ft fridge, it has in-rush current of 15A.
Bud,

i have not testing it on an induction load like a fridge. Spec sheet says it can handle large start up loads. I would be interested in your results when yours arrive. Seems like a very beefy unit for a 1000w inverter.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/product-resources/victron-energy/datasheetphoenixinverter1200va-pdf

Bud,

i have not testing it on an induction load like a fridge. Spec sheet says it can handle large start up loads. I would be interested in your results when yours arrive. Seems like a very beefy unit for a 1000w inverter.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/product-resources/victron-energy/datasheetphoenixinverter1200va-pdf
I cannot wait to get it and test it with my fridge. One thing I do not see is the max surge rating for 30 seconds, most transformer based will give out the surge spec like 3 x the rated power for 30 seconds. Right now I am using HF 3000W Reliablepower inverter for the fridge.

Last edited:
Can you please tell me where you get your from? Now the seller is telling me the unit is on backorder!

Last edited:
I just received the Inverter today. I try it out with my 20 years old 25cu.ft fridge, it strugles to start up, the RED LED over load comes on for seconds and unit makes grunting sound then compressor starts running. So I do not think it will be good idea to keep overlloading the unit but I will keep the unit anyway for other lighther load, at $231 for 1000W (1200VA) PSW TOROID based Inverter I cannot really complain. The unit is built like tank, very solidly built unit.
For emegency during rolling blackout I will use the ReliablePower 3000W for the fridge which I already tested out.
BTW, I measure the current draw with no AC load connected, it draws about 1.2A which higher than the published spec.

Last edited:
This is a really old thread; however I can confirm that the older (now almost certainly discontinued) unit is a good buy if you can get your hands on one. It handles the inrush on a 600W output (~ 1000W input) microwave just fine, along with (at a different time of course) my bar fridge (~ 360W input once running). It also comes with 1.5M battery leads attached and is internally fused, so it's basically plug-n-play.

I find it a bit disappointing that Victron is apparently only offering VE.Direct inverters now. They're almost twice the cost and most people realistically don't need the data com / advanced config capabilities. I'm also not sure why the newer VE.Direct units have a slightly lower output rating given Victron claims to be using the same topology across all its inverter products. I don't think the VE.Direct units come with battery cables.

The part number for the old model is PIN121220500 , if anyone wishes to try finding out.

BTW, this is where I get mine from, very very happy with my unit.

It's not as configurable as the new VE units, but it seems well built and pretty quiet. Mine has been preforming well for a year. Notwithstanding the spec sheet, It does have about 1.2 amp standby load. Not sure how that compares to the real world performance of the newer 1000VA versions. At the price, it seems like a very good value.

I put a $45 dollar Victron BatteryProtect (65amp) on the remote on/off of my inverter to adjust the low-volt shut off to match a lithium profile ( i selected 11.8v off, 12.8v back on - but there are lots of options on the programable BP) as this low volt cut off is not configurable on this older Victron unit is designed for lead acid voltages.

MP

Not a Victron expert but most of what I have is by them. I have the 24/1200 newer version of this model. I have 300 Watts of garden lights, Fridge, Tankless water heater, Laptop and desktop PC running of this inverter. I have a 24 Volt 200 amp LifePower4 battery powering it and it works pretty well. I do have an issue at night when the garden lights are running an the inverter wattage is about 500 watts and the fridge starts the Short Circuit protect alarms on the BMS. I have a AGM battery I leave connected temporally with the LifePower4 battery until i figure out whats causing it. Guessing its a BMS issues but waiting on Signature Solar to respond.

So far I have not had any issue with the INverter, charge controller or charger. Rock solid so far

Not a Victron expert but most of what I have is by them. I have the 24/1200 newer version of this model. I have 300 Watts of garden lights, Fridge, Tankless water heater, Laptop and desktop PC running of this inverter. I have a 24 Volt 200 amp LifePower4 battery powering it and it works pretty well. I do have an issue at night when the garden lights are running an the inverter wattage is about 500 watts and the fridge starts the Short Circuit protect alarms on the BMS. I have a AGM battery I leave connected temporally with the LifePower4 battery until i figure out whats causing it. Guessing its a BMS issues but waiting on Signature Solar to respond.

So far I have not had any issue with the INverter, charge controller or charger. Rock solid so far
Since you have the newer (VE.Direct?) version, can you measure and tell us what your real-world no-load current draw is? It might not be a direct conversion to 12V for the rest of us, but it'd be a good starting point.

It's not as configurable as the new VE units, but it seems well built and pretty quiet. Mine has been preforming well for a year. Notwithstanding the spec sheet, It does have about 1.2 amp standby load. Not sure how that compares to the real world performance of the newer 1000VA versions. At the price, it seems like a very good value.

I put a $45 dollar Victron BatteryProtect (65amp) on the remote on/off of my inverter to adjust the low-volt shut off to match a lithium profile ( i selected 11.8v off, 12.8v back on - but there are lots of options on the programable BP) as this low volt cut off is not configurable on this older Victron unit is designed for lead acid voltages.

MP
Having a cut-off connected to the remote on/off input is a good idea. In my case I have an AGM bank, so I just wired the inverter up to the dry contacts on my BMV-712, and set it to go open circuit (read: shut down the inverter) once I go below 50% SoC.

Since you have the newer (VE.Direct?) version, can you measure and tell us what your real-world no-load current draw is? It might not be a direct conversion to 12V for the rest of us, but it'd be a good starting point.
The inverter will only measure power from the outlet but I have a shunt on the negative to measure DC amp draw. the draw is about 35 watts between the inverter, shunt, solar charger and cerbo. I think just the inverter alone was about 5 watts with no load.

Orijinal gönderimi takip edin. Eski Victron 1200va modelini (121220500) aldım ve geçen hafta elime ulaştı.

Çok sağlam görünüyor. Aşağıdaki dahili parçaların resmine bakın.

700 watt test yükü ile sorun yok. Hiç ısınmadı. Fan sesi kesinlikle var - ama aşırı / rahatsız edici değil. Fan kademeli olarak hızlanırsa iyi olur. Güç tasarrufu / eko modundayken - bir yük ararken döndüğünü duyabilirsiniz.

Tüm bu açılardan daha iyi olabilecek yeni VE direct modeliyle karşılaştırılamaz.

Bu invertör yaklaşık 230 USD'ye bulunabilir. Bu, kaliteli bir 1000W saf sinüs dalgalı invertör (uzaktan kapatmalı) için iyi bir anlaşma gibi görünüyor.

aynı inverterden bende de var bana tam olarak gönderir yanlış mı? bankanın.​

Back