diy solar

diy solar

Anybody had their packs long enough yet?

My Surrette FLA have in been in service since 2000. SG is all over the place but I still regularly get 15 kWh and sometimes up to 40kWH out of them most every day. (I'll post a snip from a graph later)

LFP still has a lot to prove to me.

Battery #1 reached 1,675 Cycles yesterday (5yrs...) and no sign of degradation.

I'm up to 9 batteries of 14s~100p of 18650 NMC chemistry. Here's the battery detail + cycles.....
1685669057868.png
Operate between 3.54v low (inverter off) and up to 4.0v hi with an overall DOD average of 37%, 55F-75F ambient, and <150ma/cell charge/discharge current.

In this Batrium snap you can see that Battery #1 is holding right in there with the others. Every group of 14 blue bars is a battery from left to right.
1685668765566.png

Degradation detection of the live system.....
I started tracking "ah/volt" during discharge at night (no PV) since 2020. So far I have metrics like this....
2020 average = 176ah/volt.
2021 average = 178ah/volt.
2022 average = 199ah/volt - added 2 x batteries in 2022.
2023 .... added 1 x battery (so far)

I know this is *fuzzy* as the DOD (voltage range) significantly affects the number; however, as a yearly average I should see a peak ah/volt and then decline. Don't know if it will be gradual or steep decline but perhaps it will yield an interesting curve. Best case I might be able to do some gross estimations. :)

Last edited:
My Surrette FLA have in been in service since 2000. SG is all over the place but I still regularly get 15 kWh and sometimes up to 40kWH out of them most every day. (I'll post a snip from a graph later)

Do ya think maybe that’s why they called em Rolls….. they are bad ass batteries…

Capacity removed from battery has to be when no charging source is present.

I know a few die hard flooded lead acid guys, they still use around 10kwh/day, but their batteries sag to inverter LVD if you turn on the toaster when the sun is set!

I’ve had my LiFePO4 for 12 years, still get over 80% capacity. Nothing left to prove for me.

Capacity removed from battery has to be when no charging source is present.
Yep, only talking about capacity directly from the battery. (Some people's children, oy vey) A few months ago, I turned off the solar and pulled 35kWh over the course of three days. It was still going but I got bored of the test, so I turned the solar back on. True story, I can even send you the link to my VRM portal.

I know a few die hard flooded lead acid guys, they still use around 10kwh/day, but their batteries sag to inverter LVD if you turn on the toaster when the sun is set!
Not here. The only thing I care about is how usable it still is. I'm not throwing away ~50kWH of battery regardless of technology, don't care if I'm cool or not. I'm not FLA or LFP fanboy.

I can pull well over 100 amps out of my bank, often well over 150 amps. That's the toaster, the 1hp well pump, 1hp pool pump, hot water kettle,18k BTU minisplit, and even my hot tub plus all the lights, etc. What's really amazing is I'm down one cell so it's actually a 23S/46v pack. Don't even get close to the LVD of my inverter. You can see that on the VRM portal as well.

It's not a financial issue at all as I have ~20kWh of server rack batteries ready to go. It's just fun to see how more time I can get out of these Surrettes. Honestly, I'd like all the space they take back.

Yep, only talking about capacity directly from the battery. (Some people's children, oy vey) A few months ago, I turned off the solar and pulled 35kWh over the course of three days. It was still going but I got bored of the test, so I turned the solar back on. True story, I can even send you the link to my VRM portal.

Not here. The only thing I care about is how usable it still is. I'm not throwing away ~50kWH of battery regardless of technology, don't care if I'm cool or not. I'm not FLA or LFP fanboy.

I can pull well over 100 amps out of my bank, often well over 150 amps. That's the toaster, the 1hp well pump, 1hp pool pump, hot water kettle,18k BTU minisplit, and even my hot tub plus all the lights, etc. What's really amazing is I'm down one cell so it's actually a 23S/46v pack. Don't even get close to the LVD of my inverter. You can see that on the VRM portal as well.

It's not a financial issue at all as I have ~20kWh of server rack batteries ready to go. It's just fun to see how more time I can get out of these Surrettes. Honestly, I'd like all the space they take back.
As you replied in another thread - flooded lead acid are normally dead before the ten year mark - you have done an exceptional job of maintaining your cells.

I would do exactly the same…. Them Rolls are trying to please their Owner… give them boys a chance … bless ‘em…

So im wondering why some are not using their packs? If you know there is calendar aging, and the battery is slowly dieing anyways, why not use it? Is it just because your overall usage is low and not necessary? If that were the case, why such a large bank? I guess for extended outages or extended sub-optimal PV days. Just thinking out loud here.

I just don't see why you would waste money letting the packs age on their own. Im genuinely curious.

Being off grid, I’m mindful of my usage. I could use my batteries maybe a little more, but we’re living comfortably at current usage levels. We built to our place energy efficient and bought the most efficient appliances we could.
I personally do not want to draw my battery down to 20 or 30% every night. What if you have a very bad PV day the next day, or two or three? To me, sunshine is free, propane for the generator to charge batteries, gets very expensive. I guess being completely off grid, having a prepper like mindset, my approach to this solar set up is just different. I have dual inverters, in case one gives a problem. Using a 16s4p battery pack, so that itself is a back up. If I need to work on one pack, I’ve got three more. I rather have plenty of power in reserve, rather than just barely get through each night?
My thoughts are, my current battery pack will last me a minimum of 10-15 years if not longer. So, hopefully, by the time it needs replacing, battery technology should be more advanced and maybe affordable?
Based on what I have seen and read about these LiFePo4 batteries, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty about how long they actually will last and how much they actually degrade. It seems that different folks with varying batteries have different results.
To add to it, I have more panels than I needed to hopefully account for panel degradation over the years and help collect more sunlight on cloudy days.

There’s a saying that says:
You got one, you got none.
If you got two, you got one.

Below is from a similar thread where I posted:

“So I’m running a 16s4p power-wall made of 64, 304ah cells with Batrium BMS. Set to 90% as my max full charge and 20% as my minimum. So far NO full cycles in 11 months off grid. However, the lowest SOC I’ve recorded is two nights, one at 53% and one at 56%. However, my average nightly draw down is typically between 65% and 75% so far, and that depends on the time of year”

Last edited:
Back