diy solar

diy solar

Anyone able to figure out an Elgris Zero Export Controller?

Pretty sure that is correct.

To make this work in the US, you need 2 controllers and 2 inverters (one per leg).

There may be other ways involving an Autotransformer, but the safest way to be absolutely certain you are not exporting is to separately monitor and feed each leg (treat it like 2 120V single-phase systems).
Only one grid tie inverter is needed that supplies 240v. 2 CTs are needed to be combined into one output. Ike I do with my GTIL2 inverters. Or for other inverters that are splitphase 2 CTs and an input to the single inverter for each leg

Pretty sure that is correct.
To make this work in the US, you need 2 controllers and 2 inverters (one per leg).

There may be other ways involving an Autotransformer, but the safest way to be absolutely certain you are not exporting is to separately monitor and feed each leg (treat it like 2 120V single-phase systems).
Most people that have splitphase supply to their home also have a meter from electric company that reads at 240v not 120v-120v. Most standard residential meters have ONE CT in them that has both legs going thru it in opposite directions to properly read the 240v sinewave. The meter doesn’t care about 120v. It only sees how much power is used at 240v. This is why I supply 240v not 120v-120v from my grid tie inverters. All of the 120v and 240v loads are supplied by the inverters. And the inverters sense the power the home uses using the 240v sinewave which is how the meter reads the power usage

Schneider Electric XW inverters, SMA Sunny Island, OutBack Power, Sol-Ark and some other battery based inverters can sell to grid or, the other way, help with generator (gen-support) or grid from the battery when the AC input is not powerful enough.

This Elgis unit would have to know their communications protocol OR communicate with some other method to turn down the support power so that it doesn't flow out of the input. I don't think the ones I mentioned are "open" on their communications protocols ? But some of these, like the Sol-Ark already supply an external current transformer just for this purpose.

Some of the grid-tie only inverter can reduce power (wasted power) with changing grid-frequency.

fafrd and most here more than likely knew this already but thought I'd bring it up anyway.
Anyone know of any other brand of inverters (besides the 4 SpongeboB mentioned) that can use an external CT and can be set to sell to the grid.

Back