diy solar

diy solar

Anyone charging Ecoflow Delta with car cig lighter port?

^^^ don’t forget: a lot of people don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.

If the ekophlo is working safely for you just let it go :)

I also recently saw Hobotech's video on this and just purchased a Bestek 300 in hopes of improving my charge rate to my Delta 1300 while driving. I currently am able to plug the Ecoflow supplied 12 volt power port male plug/cord into my 2003 VW Eurovan rear power ports and the ecoflow will charge at about 105 watts with nothing melting or smelling hot. I was hoping that I might improve that charge rate with the Bestek 300, but like others, I get the spinning blue propeller indicating "Input", but clicking inside the Delta and no actual charge input.

SO,.....As I was already planning on making a relay switched dedicated 12 volt power port just for charging the Delta while driving to eliminate the "I forgot to unplug the Delta from my 12v port when I shut the van off,...and now my starting battery is dead", and now having seen Tom's video and this thread,....I am wondering,....Has anyone with electrical design/engineering knowledge looked at this specific scenario, and determined if a Delta 1300 COULD be charged with a higher capacity Inverter, and properly sized/gauge wiring from the engine starting battery, a relay to disconnect power to the Delta when the vehicle is turned off to avoid a dead vehicle starting battery? Would it require a 1500 watt pure sine inverter? or could a lower wattage inverter be used? If it could be done, what gauge wire would be needed and would it be best to just eliminate the entire Cigarette light plug and wire directly to an XT60 Plug? Additionally, would attempting this set up exceed the limits of the vehicle alternator and potentially damage it? Thinking my recently replaced alternator is a 140/150 amp.

Last edited:
I also recently saw Hobotech's video on this and just purchased a Bestek 300 in hopes of improving my charge rate to my Delta 1300 while driving. I currently am able to plug the Ecoflow supplied 12 volt power port male plug/cord into my 2003 VW Eurovan rear power ports and the ecoflow will charge at about 105 watts with nothing melting or smelling hot. I was hoping that I might improve that charge rate with the Bestek 300, but like others, I get the spinning blue propeller indicating "Input", but clicking inside the Delta and no actual charge input.

SO,.....As I was already planning on making a relay switched dedicated 12 volt power port just for charging the Delta while driving to eliminate the "I forgot to unplug the Delta from my 12v port when I shut the van off,...and now my starting battery is dead", and now having seen Tom's video and this thread,....I am wondering,....Has anyone with electrical design/engineering knowledge looked at this specific scenario, and determined if a Delta 1300 COULD be charged with a higher capacity Inverter, and properly sized/gauge wiring from the engine starting battery, a relay to disconnect power to the Delta when the vehicle is turned off to avoid a dead vehicle starting battery? Would it require a 1500 watt pure sine inverter? or could a lower wattage inverter be used? If it could be done, what gauge wire would be needed and would it be best to just eliminate the entire Cigarette light plug and wire directly to an XT60 Plug? Additionally, would attempting this set up exceed the limits of the vehicle alternator and potentially damage it? Thinking my recently replaced alternator is a 140/150 amp.
I wish I could answer your questions but I just don't know enough about this stuff. If you're getting 105 watts from your Eurovan's rear power port though then that sounds pretty good. I haven't been doing any long distance driving so I've been relying on 200 watts of solar and 110 volts when needed. I briefly tested the replacement charging cord Ecoflow sent me a couple times and it didn't melt.

I should have written the watts down (dumb), but 13 minutes of driving with the new replacement cord resulted in a net gain of 2% on the Delta. That means 60 minutes of driving would produce a net gain of about 9.25%.

Back