diy solar

diy solar

Anyone charging Ecoflow Delta with car cig lighter port?

Don’t do that. If it’s load is 15A giving it a lesser capacity wire makes the wire a fuse. That’s not a good plan.
Okay - I wouldn't dare. It was just something someone somewhere wrote. :) So, reading through all this do you have any ideas for what we can do? I almost ordered this today, but am waiting to hear back from EcoFlow. "Valefod DC to DC High Efficiency Voltage Converter 8-36V to 12V 10A 120W Buck-Boost Converter DIY Power Supply Step-Down / Up Transformer" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082GD23W3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JJM7S8SDXVXM&psc=1
But it just seems ridiculous that they "brag" about the unit being able to be charged with the car charger when it's not that easy. Perhaps my plan A of charging it off of my AGMs and then recharging them through the alternator and/or solar is the best after all. But it's just convoluted.

Don’t do that. If ecophlo’s load is 15A giving it a lesser capacity wire makes the wire insulation a dangerous fuse. That’s not a good plan.

If the cig plug is a pass-through with no resistors or what have you, you can cut it off and use a 10ga (or 8ga if you’re me) direct from the battery (with a 20A fuse). Is there even a fuse in the manufactured cord?!

So 20A/15A/10A cig sockets do not matter. If the cig plug is melting the eco flow is drawing in excess of the plug’s capacity. You could hook it directly to the battery (a 700A+ supply) and it will draw the same amps (for the purposes of this issue) as it does from a 10A socket or a 15A socket. What it plugs into is NOT the problem (unless it needs a 30A or 20A supply anyway)
Like in a house; say a vacuum uses 10A and you plug it into a regular outlet. That standard outlet is usually going to be 15 or 20 amp rated and be on a 15 or 20A breaker. The 15A outlet will not feed any more than the 10A load of the vacuum cleaner. Your cigarette lighter socket will not “push” power out of itself. And melt stuff.
The simple fact is that either the supplied plug is not appropriately rated, or the echophlo is pulling more than its advertised load.
The EcoFlow Delta input port has written on it (as well as the spec sheet and the manual) not to exceed 10A. I don't think the Delta has a load that is bigger than that. Their cable for the car charger has a 15A fuse inside but they tell you not to use a charger that provides more than 10A. They told me to get a regulator. Very vague.

The EcoFlow Delta input port has written on it (as well as the spec sheet and the manual) not to exceed 10A. I don't think the Delta has a load that is bigger than that. Their cable for the car charger has a 15A fuse inside but they tell you not to use a charger that provides more than 10A. They told me to get a regulator. Very vague.

That makes like no sense at all!!

If it has a 15A fuse and that has not blown then the make ciggy plug is defective in materials and/or design. The fuse should blow before the thingy it’s protecting does!

Since fire can cost lives and their customer service hasn’t been trained or even understands their poorly designed equipment do you trust the thing?

Get a high-amp rated ciggy plug and replace the echo’s underperforming one. OR cut the plug off and wire it direct from a 12VDC fused supply for safety’s sake

Last edited:
UPDATE 10/22/21: EcoFlow has admitted that their cable is not good, well they didn't say that but they are sending me a newer, better one. Also, they are aware of the issue and have an upgrade for the firmware but I have to send it in (at their expense, at least). In the meantime, I had purchased a cable from Amazon, this one: SinLoon 6.5ft Cigarette Lighter Male to XT60 Female,Cigarette Lighter Cable,for Car Inverter Tire Inflator Air Pump.(Female) and I have tried it out and so far so good, the unit is charging at 7.5 amps. Their customer service person who called me in response to my request for help told me to get a regulator from Amazon. The firmware is going to reduce the input to 8A which is going to solve the issue but is disappointing because I'd rather it could accept more amps not less. What a fiasco.

Don’t do that. If ecophlo’s load is 15A giving it a lesser capacity wire makes the wire insulation a dangerous fuse. That’s not a good plan.

If the cig plug is a pass-through with no resistors or what have you, you can cut it off and use a 10ga (or 8ga if you’re me) direct from the battery (with a 20A fuse). Is there even a fuse in the manufactured cord?!

So 20A/15A/10A cig sockets do not matter. If the cig plug is melting the eco flow is drawing in excess of the plug’s capacity. You could hook it directly to the battery (a 700A+ supply) and it will draw the same amps (for the purposes of this issue) as it does from a 10A socket or a 15A socket. What it plugs into is NOT the problem (unless it needs a 30A or 20A supply anyway)
Like in a house; say a vacuum uses 10A and you plug it into a regular outlet. That standard outlet is usually going to be 15 or 20 amp rated and be on a 15 or 20A breaker. The 15A outlet will not feed any more than the 10A load of the vacuum cleaner. Your cigarette lighter socket will not “push” power out of itself. And melt stuff.
The simple fact is that either the supplied plug is not appropriately rated, or the echophlo is pulling more than its advertised load.
Thanks for the quality advice 12V. I had same issues so I upgraded the female socket to a marine grade cig socket - now the blessed male factory socket gets way too hot-and zero cut off protection from ECO box! . No possible 10 hr charge w/ that. Am thinking of either A] a physical disconnect to divert all my 35A PV from camper's house batteries into eco or B] splice into Eco's mc4 w/ a fuse protected [10A?] direct to my camper's house batteries. Your input wd be appreciated.

Thanks for the quality advice 12V. I had same issues so I upgraded the female socket to a marine grade cig socket - now the blessed male factory socket gets way too hot-and zero cut off protection from ECO box! . No possible 10 hr charge w/ that. Am thinking of either A] a physical disconnect to divert all my 35A PV from camper's house batteries into eco or B] splice into Eco's mc4 w/ a fuse protected [10A?] direct to my camper's house batteries. Your input wd be appreciated.
I, too, thought how could I switch my SCC to the Delta from the house but instead I just use my 640 watts (mixed roof and portable) to charge house AGMs then use 110 (with inverter) to charge the Delta, early enough in day so the house batteries recharge for the rest of sunny part of day. I can then use the Delta to power my biggest draws, fridge and CPAP machine and also charging phone, laptop, etc. I will use house AGMs for other things if needed. And to top off the Delta before sleep. It's quite the fulltime operation. ?. (Next van is getting 600AH lithium.) This has worked well...sort of, but I have to monitor so that I don't draw house AGMs down too low (below 60% is my marker). Also, I can now plug my Delta into the DC port while driving because the new cable seems to work better. The Delta input shows 7.5A which is below the recommended 8A. Yes there is conflicting documentaion between 8A and 10A but customer service says the firmware upgrade that they will perform in house will limit the input to 8A to charge although it is much, MUCH slower. I do use one set of the Delta portable panels as well if possible. The house batteries will also charge from alternator. My method is not that efficient but it's working.

I, too, thought how could I switch my SCC to the Delta from the house but instead I just use my 640 watts (mixed roof and portable) to charge house AGMs then use 110 (with inverter) to charge the Delta, early enough in day so the house batteries recharge for the rest of sunny part of day. I can then use the Delta to power my biggest draws, fridge and CPAP machine and also charging phone, laptop, etc. I will use house AGMs for other things if needed. And to top off the Delta before sleep. It's quite the fulltime operation. ?. (Next van is getting 600AH lithium.) This has worked well...sort of, but I have to monitor so that I don't draw house AGMs down too low (below 60% is my marker). Also, I can now plug my Delta into the DC port while driving because the new cable seems to work better. The Delta input shows 7.5A which is below the recommended 8A. Yes there is conflicting documentaion between 8A and 10A but customer service says the firmware upgrade that they will perform in house will limit the input to 8A to charge although it is much, MUCH slower. I do use one set of the Delta portable panels as well if possible. The house batteries will also charge from alternator. My method is not that efficient but it's working.
Yep- this all sounds like the necessary gyrations. We are on the road and had I been aware
a bit earlier I too would have gone the inverter method - part of the system redo was to get rid of my ancient and Very Heavy Trace 2350? inverter and just use the Eco as such. As an inverter it works fine but this dependence on AC to do a workable recharge is pretty skanky. Gotta wonder if they will remain in business after a few RVs melt down out there. I was surprised that within 15 minutes, the Eco supplied adapter was way too hot to touch- and I had been unaware and left it plugged in for multiple hours- not optimal. Have you pulled your new DC adapter to monitor its temp?

As an FYI, my 1000w Honda will recharge it but it cycles- too much draw, then idles half a minute, then charges again. But as a boondocker, what are my options til I get an inverter?

So you did a system redo - that's what I'm doing. The 2006 Sprinter cargo van was originally built out in 2010-11 (I bought it in 2016) so the components are "old style." I didn't want to put $10k+ into this so I stayed with AGM but added 400 more watts to the roof and a BMS.

The plug on the new cable did not get any hotter than they do with my cell phone. Ah, I was wondering about getting a generator but I really don't want to and if it wouldn't work to charge the Delta easily I think I'll wait to see how I do. Be sure to get a new cable from EcoFlow - for free - if you haven't already, or get the SinLoon 6.5ft Cigarette Lighter Male to XT60 from Amazon. The original cable just does not work, as you know! In fact, I think I'll go for a drive and test it out again. Good luck and have a great trip.

Last edited:
So you did a system redo - that's what I'm doing. The Sprinter cargo van was originally built out in 2010-11 (I bought it in 2016) so the components are "old style." I didn't want to put $10k+ into this so I stayed with AGM but added 400 more watts to the roof and a BMS.

The plug on the new cable did not get any hotter than they do with my cell phone. Ah, I was wondering about getting a generator but I really don't want to and if it wouldn't work to charge the Delta easily I think I'll wait to see how I do. Be sure to get a new cable from EcoFlow - for free - if you haven't already, or get the SinLoon 6.5ft Cigarette Lighter Male to XT60 from Amazon. The original cable just does not work, as you know! In fact, I think I'll go for a drive and test it out again. Good luck and have a great trip.
Thanks for the info- yeah- 20 yo slide in truck camper . Its 'real close' to finished. Even a 3 stage filter water purifier. I did a skoolie long ago- back when solar was off chart expensive - but we still made 7 yrs or so in it. Home now is all off grid as well.

Ironically, Eco's male plug fried last night. Guess that must be some yahoo engineers idea of 'fuseable link'? Just sent a scathing email into Eco. Cannot believe anybody gave that a pass during R&D. I'll try to source a more robust cord while we are n the road. Thanks again.

Sounds like you're having some fun, in any case. I have been charging the EcoFlow Delta the past few days with the new cable they sent me using a 12v cig lighter style outlet that is powered through my house AGM batteries, no inverter needed, and it has been working fine. The amps are staying in the 7.5A range, the cable isn't getting hot and the unit charged up. I decided not to leave it charging while I wasn't going to keep an eye on it, so I only got to 93% from 75% in about 3 hours. But that's good news. The other day I charged it while driving and it drew about 8.5A which is in their preferred range.

I am going to suggest to EcoFlow that they send a new cable to every customer who bought these prior to their upgrade.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're having some fun, in any case. I have been charging the EcoFlow Delta the past few days with the new cable they sent me using a 12v cig lighter style outlet that is powered through my house AGM batteries, no inverter needed, and it has been working fine. The amps are staying in the 7.5A range, the cable isn't getting hot and the unit charged up. I decided not to leave it charger while I wasn't going to keep an eye on it, so I only got to 93% from 75% in about 3 hours. But that's good news. The other day I charged it while driving and it drew about 8.5A which is in their preferred range.

I am going to suggest to EcoFlow that they send a new cable to every customer who bought these prior to their upgrade.
I went ahead and snipped the MC4s off the eco supplied PV input wires and just ran them to the same fused wiring I had going from batt to female cigarette adapter. Works fine- long charge time but will work while traveling in sunny climes. [not had time to check draw] They are sending me new wires but really- that is one major oversight. Its like they never field tested that 10 hour 12v charge . And yes- agree -they have to send upgrade to all early customers. Seems one hella chance to take liability-wise.

Sounds like you're having some fun, in any case. I have been charging the EcoFlow Delta the past few days with the new cable they sent me using a 12v cig lighter style outlet that is powered through my house AGM batteries, no inverter needed, and it has been working fine. The amps are staying in the 7.5A range, the cable isn't getting hot and the unit charged up. I decided not to leave it charger while I wasn't going to keep an eye on it, so I only got to 93% from 75% in about 3 hours. But that's good news. The other day I charged it while driving and it drew about 8.5A which is in their preferred range.

I’m not good with electrical stuff so please bear with me….

1) So instead of charging the Delta using your cars cig lighter port you wired it directly to your house batteries and you’re getting 7.5 amps to the Delta with engine off and 8.5 amps to the Delta with engine running?

2) Can you explain the difference between the 12 volt adapter that came with your Delta and the new cable they sent later, please?

Thanks?

I went ahead and snipped the MC4s off the eco supplied PV input wires and just ran them to the same fused wiring I had going from batt to female cigarette adapter. Works fine- long charge time but will work while traveling in sunny climes. [not had time to check draw] They are sending me new wires but really- that is one major oversight. Its like they never field tested that 10 hour 12v charge . And yes- agree -they have to send upgrade to all early customers. Seems one hella chance to take liability-wise.
I agree! If I had not noticed the burning plastic smell BOTH TIMES I tried charging using Ecoflow 12 volt adapter I assume it would have started a fire.

Two questions, please…

1) What happened when you tried to charge your Delta with the 12 volt adapter that came with your Delta?

2) So you bypassed your cars cig lighter port and connected your modified MC4 cable directly to the wire that goes to your cars cig lighter port?

Thank you.

I’m not good with electrical stuff so please bear with me….

1) So instead of charging the Delta using your cars cig lighter port you wired it directly to your house batteries and you’re getting 7.5 amps to the Delta with engine off and 8.5 amps to the Delta with engine running?

2) Can you explain the difference between the 12 volt adapter that came with your Delta and the new cable they sent later, please?

Thanks?
Hey, I'm less than a novice so I can certainly bear with you and let's both just hope that someone who IS good with electrical monitors this convo to help out. :)

1) No - someone else did that - I know nothing about that. I received a new, supposedly improved, cable from EcoFlow to replace the one that came with the Delta. It is a complete cable with the 12V plug and the other end that fits the Delta's XT60. So I'm using the new cable as intended - through the cig port and yes I got 7.5 amps with engine off and 8.5 while running.

2) No, can't tell much without cutting, likely has better wire? but it does seem a bit sturdier especially the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter. Don't know about the fuse size. The other was 15A which was too high. They would not explain anything to me when I asked.

3) You've made me want to get back to my camp spot in the hills and do some more testing.

Hey, I'm less than a novice so I can certainly bear with you and let's both just hope that someone who IS good with electrical monitors this convo to help out. :)

1) No - someone else did that - I know nothing about that. I received a new, supposedly improved, cable from EcoFlow to replace the one that came with the Delta. It is a complete cable with the 12V plug and the other end that fits the Delta's XT60. So I'm using the new cable as intended - through the cig port and yes I got 7.5 amps with engine off and 8.5 while running.

2) No, can't tell much without cutting, likely has better wire? but it does seem a bit sturdier especially the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter. Don't know about the fuse size. The other was 15A which was too high. They would not explain anything to me when I asked.

3) You've made me want to get back to my camp spot in the hills and do some more testing.
This is interesting because Ecoflow sent me a new car charging cable too but it looks identical in every way to the original cable. Same gauge wire, same male plug, same color, etc.

Ok, so bottom line is that the new cable works great and there was NO firmware update required, right?

The other was 15A which was too high.
The issue isn’t / wasn’t the rating- it was the inadequate design for the throughput and it appears they reduced throughput amps somehow to a less Smokey Level

The issue isn’t / wasn’t the rating- it was the inadequate design for the throughput and it appears they reduced throughput amps somehow to a less Smokey Level
Did they reduce the throughput amps with the firmware update, or was it their new and improved charging cable, or both?

This is interesting because Ecoflow sent me a new car charging cable too but it looks identical in every way to the original cable. Same gauge wire, same male plug, same color, etc.

Ok, so bottom line is that the new cable works great and there was NO firmware update required, right?
I did NOT get a firmware upgrade. She had told me to try the new cable first, which I did and it seems to work fine without the upgrade. I didn't feel like shipping the whole Delta unit in and waiting to get it back.

As for the difference in cables, I don't think you can tell the actual gauge wire since it's encased (as I discovered when trying to splice a PV cable once with a battery tender cable, nevermind - silly girl here) in a similar sheath. But I found the cig port plug to be of sturdier material and there was not crack on the side that opened slightly. I dunno. Onward and upward!

Last edited:
Someone on the Ecoflow FB group said it’s not the fault of the Delta 1300 because it can handle as many amps as you can push through it. He said the problem is that my 06 Toyota Sienna’s cig lighter port is junk and produces too much resistance. (He has the same car.) So now I’m totally confused because I thought the issue was that the Delta couldn’t handle more than 10 amps. ? Can anyone confirm this?

Back