diy solar

diy solar

Anyone connected a Lynx Distributor directly to a RPi yet?

coreyzev

The Victron Lynx Distributor is designed to be connected to either the Lynx Shunt or Lynx BMS for power and data, via an RJ10 cable. It can tell the VRM which fuses are blown. And it uses 5v power via the RJ10 cable as well.

I know I can power the Lynx w/ my mini 12v -> 5v step down board I got, but I was curious if anyone has tried getting Data via USB to the RPi running Venus OS?

(If not, I will likely be the first to try, but I dont feel like buying another active USB cable to mod, so we'll see).

I'm assuming they're all just variations on VEDirect, right? Power the Lynx w/ 5V externally, and then use the remaining 2 cables for TX & RX. I'm just not sure if an RPi w/ Venus OS is equipped to do anything with that information.

It's REALLY a shame that literal life saving data is restricted to a forced purchase of another $300+ device just for communication. I am using a SmartShunt & a RPi w/ Venus OS. I would really like to be notified if one of my fuses blow.

Last edited:
Interesting idea.
Might be able to power it from a USB-Serial interface if current is < 500mA.
Do you know the current requirements of the Lynx board?

Interesting idea.
Might be able to power it from a USB-Serial interface if current is < 500mA.
Do you know the current requirements of the Lynx board?
pretty sure it's < 2A, considering it's powered w/ the RJ10. I'm just hooking it directly into my system w/ a buck converter. (when i get it).

I wonder is simply plugging the RJ10 out plug on the Lynx to the RPi USB using this cable would work? Probably not that easy, but why not try.

You'd probably need to flip some of the wires, since Victron likes to do that, but maybe. Would be an interesting experiment. If anyone wants to fund buying me a bunch of cables I can try and test it.

My big worry is that it's just sending raw data, and the shunt is what parses it and turns it into something the VRM can use. But who knows

Back