diy solar

diy solar

Anyone else have this problem?

Bob B

Emperor Of Solar
I am intermittently not getting notifications from threads I am following.

Sometimes when I am browsing thru new posts I will see a thread with new posts that I am following and I didn't get a notification. The post will have the little eye looking symbol indicating I am following. If I unwatch the thread and then turn on watch again it seems to clear it up.
I thought maybe I had missed a notification .... so I wouldn't be notified again of a new post to that thread until I viewed the thread .... but after carefully making sure I look at all notification, it still happens once in a while.
I'm not sure how to document proof of the issue .... just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Also, what is supposed to happen when you follow someone. I don't seem to get notifications of their activity. The same thing has happened where I see a post when scanning new posts that is from someone I am following.

I am intermittently not getting notifications from threads I am following.
I am seeing the same issues. I turned off email notifications and then i stopped getting a lot of the "Alerts" notifications. I turned the email notifications back on but that did not fix the issue.

I am seeing the same issues. I turned off email notifications and then i stopped getting a lot of the "Alerts" notifications. I turned the email notifications back on but that did not fix the issue.

Sometimes I just get a notification on the forum and no email, but I think that is times I have commented and it automatically follows a thread. There may be a setting for that but I haven't been too concerned about that.
There are other ones where I manually select follow and email notifications and that is the ones that sometimes seem to get lost intermittently.

Yea, i cannot find a pattern. I just got a notification for your post on here just fine. Why some of the others do not do this, I dunno.

There are different notifications. The initial default is to get an e-mail notification for a LOT if not everything, then you can chose if you want email or not, not is better because it creates a LOT of load on the server which slows things up. It's best to set things up, so PM's get an email notification and everything else just gives a simple notification on the site. Even that can LAG when the system is busy / loaded with users.
--> If you skip a message that gave you a notification and read through the rest of the list, it will forget that one notification and future notifications on the thread you skipped. It is a weird behaviour to be sure.

@Will Prowse I would suggest, that making a change to the Forum Software, to reduce the EMail Notification to PM's Only as the default would lighten the load off the server. I suspect the lag will only get worse unless some mitigation is implemented to prevent loading the server. Things are only gonna get busier !

Also, what is supposed to happen when you follow someone. I don't seem to get notifications of their activity. The same thing has happened where I see a post when scanning new posts that is from someone I am following.
Two things happen when you follow someone.

1) Members you follow get highlighted so you can see when they are online.
1587552926311.png

2) You have a news feed that collects all of the activity of the people you follow.
1587553901259.png

1587554091445.png

Last edited:
I leave it up to the individual accounts for email notifications. I am not going to "turn it off" as Steve suggested. I let the members decide what they want.

Very strange bug.

I suspect there may be a time weighted parameter (week or two) that prevents notifications once it expires. I've noticed this behavior in this & other forums I frequent when I go silent for a while.

All my notifications of posts i follow or participate in, go to my junk mail. Cant seem to solve that but It's not really a problem I mind as i usually check in on the forum each day and they show in the alerts now that I so much time on my hands.

I leave it up to the individual accounts for email notifications. I am not going to "turn it off" as Steve suggested. I let the members decide what they want.

Very strange bug.
I did not say Turn it OFF, just switch the default so when a new user creates an account, the default isn't to send email automatically, let them turn that n manually if they want to get spammed for every message they reply to and get auto-notified.

Once you reply to a post, it will auto-notify you. You have to UN-Watch the Thread, then Re-Watch the thread and select NO EMAIL, You can also change the behaviours in your user settings page BUT it does not change the previous settings on the individual threads.

All my notifications of posts i follow or participate in, go to my junk mail. Cant seem to solve that but It's not really a problem I mind as i usually check in on the forum each day and they show in the alerts now that I so much time on my hands.
once you see the Forum E-Mail in Spam, you should be able to select it and click on "Not Spam". It works for me, with GMail & Outlook.

Mine do as well .... I could probably resolve that, but I have gotten so used to looking for them there it kinda separates them from the other emails.

There is still a delay on notifications. Not sure if the traffics for the site is high or slow on the server side. Could someone look into it. Thanks.

My notifications are working correctly and in a timely manner.

If you get a notification of a new post in a thread but you don't go to that thread then in most forums you won't get another notification when a new post is made until after you go view the thread.

Back