diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have any experience in Solar DIY in New York State? I see bad things on the horizon....

I'll be doing all of the grunt work and the vast majority of the work overall. The 2 of them are mostly going to be a "pre-inspection" to make sure everything is right. It's going in a pole barn that completely open, no finishing or insulation.

^^ This

"Public utilities" are for all intents and purposes, monopolistic corporatist extensions of an oligarchal government. After seeing everything governments have been doing over the past couple years, it is dangerously naive to think governments and quasi-government institutions (ie public utilities) won't use their power to control behavior.

Power and control is a zero-sum game. The more you give to someone else, the less you have as an individual.
Getting rid of bill gates microchhip wasn’t too hard and I now have a custom felt lined tin foil hat

Getting rid of bill gates microchhip wasn’t too hard and I now have a custom felt lined tin foil hat

The difference between "conspiracy theory" and historical fact is about 6-12 months.

Did you miss this week's recent news sbout Neuralink?

If you don't see the globalist moves towards a high tech neo-feudalism, you're either not paying attention, or you're being willfully blind.

I Live in Westchester County in New York. I have 2 engineering degrees and love DIY stuff, but New York is making it increasingly difficult for anyone with serious skills in home building/renovation. I added a 1300 square foot extension onto my last house, about 15 years ago. I had the foundation done by a contractor and the basic shell to Tyvek - no interior work. I took it from there. Electric, Plumbing, Sheetrock, Interior framing, insulation, siding, tiling etc. And I had all of my work inspected and approved by the town for final C.O. But things have changed since then. New York now prohibits home owners from doing any significant work on their homes unless they are licensed in the discipline required. I don't mind having my work inspected but I am unhappy with these turn of events.

Something even more concerning for Solar folks - The power authority in NY that sets the regulations for the electric utilities have provide the electric companies to:

1.) Charge homes using solar panels a special fee - a "Lost Revenue Fee". This is like Home De[pot charging you a fee for shopping at Lowes
2.) End specific Net metering and switch to a credit system where the electric company sets the credits earned based on their revenue - not exactly the KWH's you return to the grid.

I think the major utility, in the long run, simply will not allow folks to exit from the grid system.

Happy to hear anyone's reflections, experiences, and/or thoughts.

TMN
I disagree with the homeowner diy comment. Mabe in the town you live in however overall I see no problems dyi unless the person doing the work has no clue what they are doing. I am in the business trades, know nys codes and local laws. I don’t have any issues with this matter. You live in Westchester; nuf said. Move upstate

Have you considered firing the people who made those rules? I guess they are probably the same people who think that protectionist measures such as taxi medallions are a great idea.

Why is it important that you be licensed if your work passes inspection? I am sure that the dudes pouring concrete or nailing studs don't have licenses, only the company owners do.
You must live in the city

I may not have the hang of responding to certain answers to posts. New here…the original post was someone from Westchester which is just north of new yuck city. I am not very familiar with nyc codes however I am with the state codes. What you have to be careful of is the mrl’s which is what you all are talking about; not the codes.

Back