diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have experience with Growatt 3000TL LVM-ES 3kW?

offgriddave

Solar Enthusiast
Hi,

This inverter:
Datasheet: http://www.growatt-america.com/upload/file/contents/2021/03/60619002e8e9c.pdf

I am unable to find information or experience running this from a generator to charge the battery bank. It comes with a 40amp (48v*40 = 1920w) charger.

... my background
I bought the LV5048 during a time when I needed split phase, and now I do not. I might end up selling it. So the problems I have are that, the LV5048 draws 60w idle and it does not like my propane generator. I get a fault code when it goes to charge.

I am looking for a new inverter/charger setup and came across the Growatt 3000TL LVM-ES 3kW, note the "ES" and in the specs the MPPT lists 120v-250v which is dramatically differently from the other models with the similar characters in the title. It appears this inverter draws 60w idle as well.

My question is, does anyone have experience with this inverter and with running it off a 3500w generator? I could not find the specs. I am worried that if I buy it, it will also reject my generator and I'll end up wasting money.

The alternative is Victron, but at double the cost. I want to be able to charge the battery bank at a full 3000w for fuel efficiency... and running a generator is just loud I'd like to have it charged up in an hour (given my usage).

Or recommend a good generator? Propane inverter/generator with remote start. Home depot has one for about $1100 but I am unsure if it will accept that either.

I'm just worried if I pull the trigger I am going to get stuck with another unusable setup. That, and people complain about the crappy software experience with these units.

Check the settings in the manual or email Growatt and ask them if there is a setting to allow to turn down the generator max amperage charging limit. I know on the MPP, they say you need a minimum size generator on some of their inverters. If the settings allow to turn down the inverter for the AC generator input, then you can custom tailor it so it doesn't try to draw more than its rated 3500w...

The other thing you can check just for kicks, is hook up a Kill-A-Watt to your generator and check if the output stays at 60Hz or pretty close. If not, then you might need to fine tune the governor screw and make sure the RPM is right (usually 3600 RPM if it's a dual-pole, or 1800 RPM if it's a 4-pole generator)... If it isn't stabilizing to 60Hz (or 59.9Hz, a bit low is better on electric motor loads than too high) after the governor gets done hunting, then maybe that's what's causing it to throw the code?

Last edited:
Check the settings in the manual or email Growatt and ask them if there is a setting to allow to turn down the generator max amperage charging limit. I know on the MPP, they say you need a minimum size generator on some of their inverters. If the settings allow to turn down the inverter for the AC generator input, then you can custom tailor it so it doesn't try to draw more than its rated 3500w...

The other thing you can check just for kicks, is hook up a Kill-A-Watt to your generator and check if the output stays at 60Hz or pretty close. If not, then you might need to fine tune the governor screw and make sure the RPM is right (usually 3600 RPM if it's a dual-pole, or 1800 RPM if it's a 4-pole generator)... If it isn't stabilizing to 60Hz (or 59.9Hz, a bit low is better on electric motor loads than too high) after the governor gets done hunting, then maybe that's what's causing it to throw the code?

Thanks I will try something like that. The MPP immediately throws the code within a split second. I wish it would pause or wait a few seconds before throwing it. The MPP has a setting for Utility charge, the lowest being 10amp. (~480w at ~48v). There's no way to lower it. I think these are good questions I should ask Growatt but , aren't these units made in the same factory/parts/specifications with just branding customization?

I know the Sol Ark has the ability to 'sense' the utility charge, but they are expensive. (Anyone want to lend me $17k ? ha)

Perhaps Victron thought of something, the Victron Multiplus II might work combined with a MPPT...

How about this question... who here uses a generator for rainy days and is happy about it?

I just remembered about this flag I saw from my MPP manual, just posting it for reference:

1639690217479.png

Just more backing in my previous statement regarding checking your Hz on your generator output and fine tuning it. An inverter generator won't have this problem and will automatically maintain proper output frequency (at any RPM) as the output wave is decoupled from the mechanical aspect of the power generation (as they go through an inverter).

I just remembered about this flag I saw from my MPP manual, just posting it for reference:

View attachment 75987

Just more backing in my previous statement regarding checking your Hz on your generator output and fine tuning it. An inverter generator won't have this problem and will automatically maintain proper output frequency (at any RPM) as the output wave is decoupled from the mechanical aspect of the power generation (as they go through an inverter).

Thanks Samson, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the LVM-ES unit and crossing my fingers. If I fail, I guess I'll be buying an inverter-generator.

Although I recently got ROYALLY screwed by Home Depot, they have this unit: "Westinghouse", dual fuel inverter remote start.

I can't find any other "inverter" style generator that also takes propane. It would also be nice if I could find a magnetic dip stick that fits it. And if they thought of a design where when I changed the oil it doesn't go all over the place (who in the hell designed these oil drain plugs?? I mean come on man)

My XW inverter qualifies the power it receives from the generator. If it is not satisfied with the power's voltage/Hz, it will reject it. I do what Samsonite recommends. I set the amperage draw from the inverter initially very low, let the generator get qualified, then I inch up the amperage draw a percentage at a time. I can get the amperage 3X higher incrementally inching it up rather than leaving it at a low initial setting.

Thanks Samson, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the LVM-ES unit and crossing my fingers. If I fail, I guess I'll be buying an inverter-generator.

Although I recently got ROYALLY screwed by Home Depot, they have this unit: "Westinghouse", dual fuel inverter remote start.

I can't find any other "inverter" style generator that also takes propane. It would also be nice if I could find a magnetic dip stick that fits it. And if they thought of a design where when I changed the oil it doesn't go all over the place (who in the hell designed these oil drain plugs?? I mean come on man)

I do remember a couple websites (as I was looking at a big Honda generator once), who offer propane conversion kits for Hondas and other brand generators...

and

Those guys offer bolt-on kits and I know one of them had some turn-key generators that already come with the kits installed. They may even offer bi-fuel on these (since they already came with carburetors)... Bi-fuel is more versatile. Yeah, I just looked again and the one said tri-fuel even...

I had a bi-fuel CNG truck before (natural gas though) and it was great, can switch to either fuel on the fly.

On a generator, you can just leave the gas tank and carburetor float empty so the carb never gets gunked up, run it only on propane, but if say apocalypse came, and propane became hard to get, and someone had gasoline, it could be filled up and used that way in a bind...

EDIT:
Whoa, this is my 1000th post anniversary, I must be fully addicted now...

Last edited:
Back