diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have plans for a top of pole tracker?

Prosolar

Gang...

I've always liked things that move. Have gears and sprockets, and hubs and thingies that go back and forth.
I've got the time to tinker. So I'd like to build a dual axis tracker.

I've got the electronic parts down. No need to worry about that.

What I don't have a good handle on is the pieces parts to move the array. I thought of using a truck wheel and axle, a rear end from a truck, a motorcycle gear and chain and a skew of other ideas.

So, anyone ever attempted to do this?

Yeah, I know the price of solar panels makes a tracker useless. That's not the point. It's something I've always wanted to try.

I'm mike

depends how much panels you have to move.
if this is only a bunch of them , you can use an equatorial mount that requires only one motor. (if you except season adjust)
for the tracking you will find a lot of cheap electronic to do that.

Last edited:
As my old man use to say, "Go big or stay on the porch."

I'm thinking of 9 to 12 60 cell panels on top of a 8" schedule 40 steel pipe sunk 5-6 feet into cement

Gang...

I've always liked things that move. Have gears and sprockets, and hubs and thingies that go back and forth.
I've got the time to tinker. So I'd like to build a dual axis tracker.

I've got the electronic parts down. No need to worry about that.

What I don't have a good handle on is the pieces parts to move the array. I thought of using a truck wheel and axle, a rear end from a truck, a motorcycle gear and chain and a skew of other ideas.

So, anyone ever attempted to do this?

Yeah, I know the price of solar panels makes a tracker useless. That's not the point. It's something I've always wanted to try.

I'm mike
Hi Mike, I had the same idea and I did built it all from recycled materials mostly. I used an axle from a tracter trailer, only one side which I attached on the top of an A frame made of steel from futureshop racking, it is sitting 16' off ground. It works really good, these axles are heavy duty. I've got 6 panels on that pole which turns both ways n,s e, w. I used trailer electric jacks as actuators, they also had limit switch and remote controls for moving back and forth. It been in operation now for two years, no problem. Just an idea.

I seen a video some time back on Youtube. It was a concept. If I recall they used an electric actuator or some sort of motor, This was then connected directlty to the solar panel its self. At some point he added some photo sensors that would allow it to move the panel as the sun moved, Then it would reset at the earliest light.
It was easy to find, Maybe something like this will spark your engine!

The great DIY "Because I can" spirit. I love it!
Same here, I want a battery less 120v solar system, So far there is nothing that is price point. The fact that I can build a whole system with batteries is cool and all, I want a battery less 120v system. Does it matter way, It should not, I want this system to be battery less and still have the option of adding batteries, solar and grid/gen connect as well.

Hi Mike, I had the same idea and I did built it all from recycled materials mostly. I used an axle from a tracter trailer, only one side which I attached on the top of an A frame made of steel from futureshop racking, it is sitting 16' off ground. It works really good, these axles are heavy duty. I've got 6 panels on that pole which turns both ways n,s e, w. I used trailer electric jacks as actuators, they also had limit switch and remote controls for moving back and forth. It been in operation now for two years, no problem. Just an idea.

Any way to shoot some photos and post them? Never thought of electric jacks, I'd guess much meaner than the usual Chinese linear actuators, but maybe not as precise. I'll have to google futureshop racking. I'm not sure what that is.

These trailer Jack's bought at princess auto, Canada 3500 lb with remote to operate. The racking used in the store, same as best buy. When futureshop closed I picked up a few trailers full steel that was going for recycling.

Last edited:
These trailer Jack's bought at princess auto, Canada 3500 lb with remote to operate. The racking used in the store, same as best buy. When futureshop closed I picked up a few trailers full steel that was going for recycling.

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

I can't quite make out some of the details on the east west tilt. I take it the bearing in the large pipe?

Ohhhhh.... I see, the truck axle is used for the north south as it's laying horizontal.

How about east west movement?

East,West, I used galvanized fence pole inside each other as a hinge.
The bigger array (12 panels) only has one jack to move 65 degree for winter months and 25 degree for spring and summer. Also same jack used with a remote. 3 1/2 years ago.

Last edited:
Here is as basic as a tracker can get:

An actuator and an uncontrolled panel, but it works fine.

I am going to copy this one (dual-axis tracker)
I have 1 panel to try it out on.
I like the dual-pivot points in the middle like this.

Back