diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have this 100Ah Vestwoods battery?

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
I saw Will had a video where he looked at the Vestwoods 100Ah (mostly positive), but that one did not have Bluetooth, and I don't think is had low temp shutoff. This one apparently has both. I went ahead and ordered one since it was "only" $319 after the Amazon $30 off and seemed like a good price for those features in an off the shelf battery. Anyone else have one?

Good luck with it. Seems like a good price point. Curious to hear your experience with it. The reviews on Amazon tingle my fake radar, but hope you have good luck with it.

The reviews on Amazon tingle my fake radar,

Hard to say. They all are verified purchasers, but you never know. As I noted, Will did a video and seemed fairly impressed with the build for the price. Although it did not look like he tested capacity.

I finally got the battery today. It was well packed. First thing I did was wake it up with a charging voltage. I then proceeded to charge it up. I can confirm it does indeed have Bluetooth. However it is limited with the Power Bank app they linked to. I can see all of the expected readings, but no user programmable settings. It has a few temp sensors readings. It is supposed to have low temp cutoff, but short of sticking it in the freezer, I have no way of verifying that. I only have one other smart BMS (Daly), so I don't know it any other apps will talk to it.

After I charge it, I will do a capacity test sometime this weekend, and will report back with my findings.

I finally got the battery today. It was well packed. First thing I did was wake it up with a charging voltage. I then proceeded to charge it up. I can confirm it does indeed have Bluetooth. However it is limited with the Power Bank app they linked to. I can see all of the expected readings, but no user programmable settings. It has a few temp sensors readings. It is supposed to have low temp cutoff, but short of sticking it in the freezer, I have no way of verifying that. I only have one other smart BMS (Daly), so I don't know it any other apps will talk to it.

After I charge it, I will do a capacity test sometime this weekend, and will report back with my findings.
On the Bluetooth app aspect, that is better info then I have seen on most premade batteries. It not like you are going to get one of the fancy apps and BMS that we see people building DIY with.

I'm still in the process of capacity testing. One thing I have not figured out on the app are the Min and Max temp readings. The PCB and Ambient have fluctuated a degree (separately, so there appears to be two sensors) so I know they are doing something , but the Min/Max have not changed. Not sure if they even do anything. I would think the Max would also be at 27C. see attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-27-20-53-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-27-20-53-28.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
Now I am even more confused with the temp readings. The Min & Max now both say 28C How can the Min be higher than it was before? Wondering if it going by a per cycle basis, since I am now back to charging.

I have to redo my capacity test because I had a technical issue during discharge that screwed up my readings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-28-13-39-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-28-13-39-38.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2
I'm considering this battery. What does the app tell you that would be useful? Does it show state of charge?

What does the app tell you that would be useful? Does it show state of charge?

I just ordered a second one. Yes the app shows state of charge including cell voltages and BMS status (open closed). There are a few things I don't know what they are for, and may not even be used. Note; cells are top balanced good, but cell #1 seems to go a bit lower than the others on the bottom end of discharge. But I do not plan on running them empty. I also still don't understand those Min and Max temp readings. I will have to see what they do on the next cycle. Since the ambient is higher right now, if it is cycle related, the max temp should change the next time it is charged up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_-2.png
    Screenshot_-2.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I also still don't understand those Min and Max temp readings. I will have to see what they do on the next cycle. Since the ambient is higher right now, if it is cycle related, the max temp should change the next time it is charged up.

I found that they are reset when the battery begins a discharge cycle.

I also see the price has gone up $30. So it's $330 with the $30 off coupon.

On the Bluetooth app aspect, that is better info then I have seen on most premade batteries. It not like you are going to get one of the fancy apps and BMS that we see people building DIY with.
Hey where do you get the Bluetooth app? It's not on their website and not on the App Store

For anyone who may get one of these batteries, be aware that upon getting it and waking it up, the BMS will say it's at 50%. Do not go strictly by what the BMS says for SOC for charging at this point, because when it says 100% it will actually only be at about 75%. This is why I had to redo my initial capacity test. Once you get the voltage up to about 14.4-14.6, then things will be in sync.

Also, one oddity (or not) is the app shows the number of cycles that the BMS is reporting. However the BMS counts a charge and a discharge as separate cycles. So one full discharge and charge will show as 2 cycles. And those min/max temp readings I mentioned earlier reset on each cycle. I guess that is good as you can then see the min/max temp for a charge cycle as well as a discharge cycle.

I do not know it if has low temp cutoff or not. After I capacity test this one, I will toss it in the freezer and see what happens. Since the app shows the temps, I can easily monitor it. I would be surprised if it did not have low temp cuttoff given it has the two temp sensors (ambient and PCB).

Back