diy solar

diy solar

Anyone recognize these batteries?

Gilligan

We are buying a sailboat and these are the batteries it has. 99% positive is a 12v system so it's kind of an odd configuration to me.

It's 3 hours away right now so all I have is this picture, the owner is certainly not one that would know anything technical about it.

Attachments

• 7115369L.jpg
    7115369L.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 64
It is 12 volt. 12 volt POS terminal bottom left, 12 volt NEG terminal top left. How old are they?

I am not certain. I will try to find out, but how can you really trust what the seller of a used "vehicle" says? ;)

So they are 2v cells? I assume they are AGM.

Anything else that we can tell from the pictures?

I'm thinking I want to go 24v as the hybrid charge controllers get better at 24v for the same money, but if I'm stuck at 12v then I'm stuck at 12v. Or maybe it would make sense to sell these cells and build a LiFePO4 bank?

Can we even guess at capacity based on this pic?

Take a closer picture of the label on the battery. Someone might be able to turn up something with that using Google etc.

It's a rats nest. Hope the rest of the boat isn't like that. I think the label reads: NON SPILLABLE BATTEERY. I'm guessing 800 A/H

It's not the greatest...

It was wired for european ac, so the power controller is an old mastervolt 12-1500 (apparently one of their first models). So he has his "shore power) coming into a solid core romex line that feeds a few outlets on the other side of the boat lol.

No inverter at all, no shore power to charge batteries unless you hook up an automotive style charger, just a small (probably pwm) charge controller from the pv panels to these batteries.

So I will pretty much be rewiring just about everything once I get it all sorted out.

If the battery will be on shore power and on float most of the time, AGM is proven to last a good long time. If heavy cycling, take a close look at LFP batteries.

The cell interconnects are substantial. I'm guessing 2/0 or 4/0. It's been a while since I wrestled with a 2 volt AGM. How many solar panels?

If the battery will be on shore power and on float most of the time, AGM is proven to last a good long time. If heavy cycling, take a close look at LFP batteries.

I've been thinking of going with a hybrid system that will run off solar/battery until the batteries are too low, then switch to shore power until solar charges the batteries back to ~95% then switch back to solar/battery... Rinse repeat

The listing says it has 3 batteries. Glad it survived the last Hurricane. I apologize for the "rats nest" remark, looks like a nice boat. I also noticed that it's under contract.

The listing says it has 3 batteries. Glad it survived the last Hurricane. I apologize for the "rats nest" remark, looks like a nice boat. I also noticed that it's under contract.

Yeah the listing is a little all over the place. I do need to put eyes on these batteries as I kept forgetting to remove the companionway stairs they hide behind.

The contract is us. ?

Went check the boat today and got a little better look at the batteries.

They are pretty beefy.

I'll post pictures.

8"x6.5"x18"

If you look REALLY carefully you can see a little bit of the label... Couldn't get a better imagine than that.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_152926.jpg
    IMG_20201004_152926.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201004_152749.jpg
    IMG_20201004_152749.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201004_152601.jpg
    IMG_20201004_152601.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 12
Nothing useful there unfortunately. You'd probably have to pull one out to see what it is. Hopefully there is a label or printing on the case detailing it.

Nothing useful there unfortunately. You'd probably have to pull one out to see what it is. Hopefully there is a label or printing on the case detailing it.
There is.

If you look between the batteries you can see a bit of that label.

Has a part number that you can't read and such lol.

Looks like it says 70P- <something>.

I tried googling 2v agm battery and that number hoping it would have something but nothing so far.

Here is a cropped brightened pic of that label in case that helps anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_152926__01.jpg
    IMG_20201004_152926__01.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 16
Back