diy solar

diy solar

Anyone using Rich Solar 24V 200W panels?

Larry619

I live in an HOA community that does not allow roof mount solar and requires pre-approval before any structures are built, so I’m designing a panel system I can easily deploy in the backyard, and put it away when my batteries are topped off.

I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on the 24V 200W Rich Solar panels ($220 on Amazon) but I’d like to hear anyone’s real world experiences with this panel?

Yes, I’ve looked at San Tan solar and I’ve also looked at used or local solar panel sales. Ultimately 40”x68” or 40”x78” around 40-50lbs each are going to be harder to navigate. Moving and stacking 26lb 27”x59” panels sounds more appealing - Albeit about $200 more expensive going with Rich Solar.

I also like the idea of later making a 400w suitcase style system with 2x200w panels.

Anyone have opinions on these panels or Rich Solar in general? Thanks!

• Maximum Power(Pmax): 200W
  • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 37.6V
  • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.32A
  • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 45.4V
  • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.83A
  • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC
  • Weight: 26.5 lbs
  • Dimensions: 58.7 x 26.8 x 1.4 in

Where are you located? Some states have solar acces laws that say your HOA cannot legally prohibit you from installing solar on your property.

Where are you located? Some states have solar acces laws that say your HOA cannot legally prohibit you from installing solar on your property.
California. Long story short, it’s a townhome community with shared roofs that they just won’t allow any modifications. Even dish mounts are “frowned” upon and I just ended up with a balcony mount. We’ve been fighting it for some time but I’m not holding my breath. Same goes for getting structure approvals. I’m pretty sure I could build a pergola like structure and put solar on top but I don’t want to wait or spend the money right now.

A ground based setup that I can tuck away when I don’t need it (occasional solar generator use) will have to do.

I live in an HOA community that does not allow roof mount solar and requires pre-approval before any structures are built, so I’m designing a panel system I can easily deploy in the backyard, and put it away when my batteries are topped off.

I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on the 24V 200W Rich Solar panels ($220 on Amazon) but I’d like to hear anyone’s real world experiences with this panel?

Yes, I’ve looked at San Tan solar and I’ve also looked at used or local solar panel sales. Ultimately 40”x68” or 40”x78” around 40-50lbs each are going to be harder to navigate. Moving and stacking 26lb 27”x59” panels sounds more appealing - Albeit about $200 more expensive going with Rich Solar.

I also like the idea of later making a 400w suitcase style system with 2x200w panels.

Did you end up purchasing?

I was originally considering getting (2) trina 410 watt panels and making a rack for my SUV where the bottom panel would slide out and both panels tilt. I'm now thinking of getting (4) of the 200 watt / 24 volt rich solar panels. There slightly larger than what I would like and I'll have a small overhang and will cost double. But will cost me about $200 less making the rack, all the panels would be exposed 100% of the time and making tilt will be a little easier.

I called rich solar. I wanted to know what their 5-year output guarantee was and they said 90%. Renogy is 95%, but they are larger panels and cost more.

i have 3 of them on my porch roof they produce enough power to run an old 6000btu air conditioner for 10 hours a day . i have no complaints

Did you end up purchasing?

I was originally considering getting (2) trina 410 watt panels and making a rack for my SUV where the bottom panel would slide out and both panels tilt. I'm now thinking of getting (4) of the 200 watt / 24 volt rich solar panels. There slightly larger than what I would like and I'll have a small overhang and will cost double. But will cost me about $200 less making the rack, all the panels would be exposed 100% of the time and making tilt will be a little easier.

I called rich solar. I wanted to know what their 5-year output guarantee was and they said 90%. Renogy is 95%, but they are larger panels and cost more.
I DID NOT buy it. I actually did what you are considering and purchased residential solar panels, like the Trina 410W.

I have a local supplier that sells the Solaria 400W panels. They had one panel for sale with cosmetic damage and dropped the price to $200. I bought another new panel at full price. In total, I have 800w (potential) for $650 after tax. 800w of Rich Solar panels would be almost $1000.

1 Solaria 400w panel is longer but narrower (65”x48”) than 2x200w Rich Solar panels (59”x54”) and it actually worked out perfectly for my application on top of my car. The downside is that it isn’t as transportable as two Rich Solar panels that can be broken down.

My Solaria panel ground/car mount without angle is giving at most 80% rated output - about 320w. The most I’ve seen was 370w, not bad! I was able to achieve almost 700w with both panels in parallel. I’ve easily recharged about 1500 watt-hours with ONE panel over the course of the day before it gets shaded (5-6hrs).

I may still pick up 2 Rich Solar panels for a more “portable” option later.

Back