diy solar

diy solar

Anyone using Sunny Island with the EG4 power pro battery successfully?

Calvin98

Is anyone using a dual Sunny Island set up with the EG4 Power Pro batteries and BMS communication successfully? I’ve seen some threads but not exactly sure how successful those set ups were or still are. One post said you had to install a termination resistor, a BMS cable and put another termination plug somewhere and that would make communication work. Signature solar says they work with Sunny Island but they don’t know anything about how to set the Sunny Island up. I really don’t want to buy batteries only to find out they don’t work with the Sunny islands. I do understand that you can run the E4 batteries with VRLA lead acid battery settings but then there’s no communication. Which might not be ideal.

It would probably be best to ask your questions in this thread.

Setting the protocol to SMA with the custom cable mentioned in the thread above would get you working with SMA inverters. However, I did see that they mentioned a glitch that was happening with their setup that I have reported to our battery team to look into.

1718140318621.png

The Sunny Island needs to have firmware with support for Lithium batteries, which SI do you have. Mine is a SI5048 and to get Lithium support I loaded SI6048US firmware 7304/7300. Then you turn off your SI and restart it, when it restarts you then go into the QCG and change the battery to lithium.

I run mine with DIY lithium batteries with JK PB BMS.

Thanks. This is the firmware in the inverter now. So should be ok there. I know the REC bms works the with SI and if the EG4 batteries don't work, that would be a fallback option. Just don't want to go the DIY route yet. One of the DIY issues is trusting the company you buy the batteries from to sell you quality batteries. You could easily be spending 5 figures on them.

Setting the protocol to SMA with the custom cable mentioned in the thread above would get you working with SMA inverters. However, I did see that they mentioned a glitch that was happening with their setup that I have reported to our battery team to look into.

View attachment 221415
Thanks. Still not 100% sure what is needed. Would like to know that they will really work before I invest in them. Hope to hear from some more people and see what their experiences are. They have to work and be reliable. We have new solar billing in Calif that requires it unless we want to get 2 cents/kwh for the power we put into the grid and pay 50 cents/kwh for what we take out.

Thanks. Still not 100% sure what is needed. Would like to know that they will really work before I invest in them. Hope to hear from some more people and see what their experiences are. They have to work and be reliable. We have new solar billing in Calif that requires it unless we want to get 2 cents/kwh for the power we put into the grid and pay 50 cents/kwh for what we take out.

If in California, don’t you need to pair SI with their UL9540 approved batteries? I was not aware that PowerPro was approved for use with SI.

If it’s not approved then the solution is simple… move on to another equipment combo 🤣

diy solar

diy solar
Back