diy solar

diy solar

Anywhere in the US I can get -- 240V 50HZ 5Kw generators -- I need like 80 of them.

Schuko or G plug? Yes slim choices in the US.

YEP ... we opened the boxes from the UK and immediately realized -- hey -- they have the wrong plugs on the stuff -- then we looked at the power sticker and immediately knew this was going to be a long week ...

I have no issues ordering gennies from China -- the issue is that the EPA is really getting tough on things coming in ... even with the proper certs and paperwork ..

With a conventional generator (non-inverter) that would probably also lower the power rating to 30/36 = 83%.
The engine simply puts out less power at lower rpm
It would plus it would lower the voltage but it still might work for some applications. Just throwing it out there as possibility.

With a conventional generator (non-inverter) that would probably also lower the power rating to 30/36 = 83%.
The engine simply puts out less power at lower rpm

Yeah less horsepower I think what fromport was referring to. Seems like you'd just have to buy a bigger spec generator than needed and then set the governor RPM lower (to get 50Hz) and do some testing with a prototype to confirm it could meet all the demands otherwise. You can fine tune the voltage with the AVR regulator adjustment if it dropped by a slight amount.

But that could be costly to pay workers to have to modify 80 generators, which might void their factory warranties as well... Doesn't seem worthwhile unless she (ghostrider66) wanted to service the warranties on those 80 units instead of the manufacturer.

Possible?

Sorry, my first post so I'm feeling a little clumsy. I have no idea if these need to be imported or if they are in stock in Texas.

Attachments

• www.export220volt.com.png
    www.export220volt.com.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yeah less horsepower I think what fromport was referring to. Seems like you'd just have to buy a bigger spec generator than needed and then set the governor RPM lower (to get 50Hz) and do some testing with a prototype to confirm it could meet all the demands otherwise. You can fine tune the voltage with the AVR regulator adjustment if it dropped by a slight amount.

But that could be costly to pay workers to have to modify 80 generators, which might void their factory warranties as well... Doesn't seem worthwhile unless she (ghostrider66) wanted to service the warranties on those 80 units instead of the manufacturer.
in order to make it reliable, you will need a small PV panels on the starter battery.
Every month need to run it for 1 hr to avoid the carburetor from gumming up. every 50 hours need to change oil/filter. so for just the 1 x per month testing after 4 years oil&filter change.
Need to keep the gas tanks topped off.
It needs a lot of maintenance to keep that reliably going.

What would happen to the loads if you gave them 60 Hz?
Another potential issue is 240V split-phase vs. 240V single phase. But some generators may be floating and won't care if you ground one side. (note that most US breakers are 120V, but ganged 2-pole breaker can handle 240V.)

Back