diy solar

diy solar

Anywhere in the US I can get -- 240V 50HZ 5Kw generators -- I need like 80 of them.

What would happen to the loads if you gave them 60 Hz?
Another potential issue is 240V split-phase vs. 240V single phase. But some generators may be floating and won't care if you ground one side. (note that most US breakers are 120V, but ganged 2-pole breaker can handle 240V.)
Really depends if they have a transformer or a switched power supply in it.
A 50 Hz transformer will probably work at 60Hz, it might not be at it's most efficiency.
My guess a switched power supply couldn't care less about the input freq. Most of them rectify it first any way.

Found this webpage about switching from 50<->60 Hz

Yeah the other factor, the actual RPM depends on if it's 2-pole or 4-pole generator. Most consumer generators are 2-pole and operate normally at 3600 RPM (@ 60 Hz) while the 4-pole generators like for example my Onan 6300 (LPG fuel) in my motorhome or the Onan 6500 (gasoline) and many of the larger diesel industrial style gensets operate at 1800 RPM (@ 60 Hz)...

I would like to be a fly on the wall when you approach a supplier for EIGHTY generators. That's like how many FEMA would try to source.

Another potential issue is 240V split-phase vs. 240V single phase. But some generators may be floating and won't care if you ground one side. (note that most US breakers are 120V, but ganged 2-pole breaker can handle 240V.)

As it's equipment from the UK she probably meant 230V@50Hz. But, I'm sure it's +/-5% there as it is here, so 240V shouldn't be a problem.

Good thinking!

According to this 50Hz machines can usually run safely at 60 Hz, but not the other way around due to impedance.

Unfortunately, since there are no THD needs I suspect it is to run motors. As a motor's RPM is frequency linked, any motor would run 20% faster and would probably overheat. Possibly a variable speed controller on it and limit the max to 80%?

Can you check the nameplate on the motors inside the equipment to be driven?

A lot of motors are designed for 60 Hz as it's easier to make one motor that runs
everywhere. If it has a 60 Hz on it, it'll run without problems, just faster.

Faster isn't always better, if it's running a cooling fan blade, be sure to check the
max RPM on the fan blade isn't exceeded.

To the right is an example nameplate of a Chinese motor that works in the US or
EU. As long as it's rated for 60 Hz there won't be any heat/bearing/shaft issues.
As you can see the RPM is the big difference.
1659526361379.png

Does it need an ultra-low THD?
no
Pity, it would have justified the costs of using a 240@60Hz or dc generator to drive a 5kw 230V@50Hz inverter.

If you do need to order from China, better do it fast... heard yesterday Port of LA has gone from its normal 10k containers on the ground to 30k and they're sounding the alarm that in the next few weeks capacity could be overwhelmed like last year.

I would not trust any Chinese made motor that claimed 50/60 htz. I have a bunch of ice cream machines made in china that I have a service contract for. They are basically Panasonic clones and even though the nameplate rating on the compressors read 60/50 120/100 they do not like 50/100 and keep popping compressor and mixer motors. honestly they are one or the other being both rarely works.

the ones I am dealing with use a Tecumsah branded made in china compressor and it has been a shitshow since day two.

Really depends if they have a transformer or a switched power supply in it.
A 50 Hz transformer will probably work at 60Hz, it might not be at it's most efficiency.
My guess a switched power supply couldn't care less about the input freq. Most of them rectify it first any way.
Almost everything 50Hz works fine on 60Hz unless excact speed/frequency is somehow critical for operation. For example old microwave timer would run 20% faster :LOL:

One notable exception that doesn't like increase to 60hz is all sort of fans and centrifugal pumps/fans.
Centrifugal fan power need goes up as rpm^3 so increase from 50 to 60Hz will increase drive power requirement by 73% and that is likely to burn the driving motor.

I think an inverter generator would keep the voltage constant, but als less power on the input. You would think an inverter generator would be easy switchable between 50/60 hz
Well technically any parallel-able inverter generator does frequency matching. Makes you wonder if you just buy a 230v/50hz 12v inverter, hook it to the generator's start battery (assuming it has one), and plug that to the parallel ports and start the generator, would it match itself to 50hz? Then, if you turned off 12v inverter before applying load to generator, would generator stay at 50hz forever? Interesting to ponder.

Well technically any parallel-able inverter generator does frequency matching. Makes you wonder if you just buy a 230v/50hz 12v inverter, hook it to the generator's start battery (assuming it has one), and plug that to the parallel ports and start the generator, would it match itself to 50hz? Then, if you turned off 12v inverter before applying load to generator, would generator stay at 50hz forever? Interesting to ponder.
It is completely different from a grid-tied inverter. That wants to push as much current into the grid as available from the (PV) input.
To do that they need have higher voltage and might be ahead of the grid wave slightly to push their energy in.
Inverter generator, afaik only during startup, checks for existing sine wave and 100% synchronizes with it, running literally in parallel.
The load shares the 2 sources at best will.
I don't think you could trick a 60Hz inverter generator to sync with a 50 Hz source and then keep running at 50Hz

Honestly, it sounds like you are trying to invent a problem. Just what is this machine you think is so critical to 50/60?

It is completely different from a grid-tied inverter. That wants to push as much current into the grid as available from the (PV) input.
To do that they need have higher voltage and might be ahead of the grid wave slightly to push their energy in.
I was just talking about a small 12v to 230/50 inverter like what you would use in a car in europe. Not a 'whole-house' inverter. Something like that you can find on amazon for <$50.

Inverter generator, afaik only during startup, checks for existing sine wave and 100% synchronizes with it, running literally in parallel.
The load shares the 2 sources at best will.
So most of the 'frequency matching' devices ive looked at (ups's, big inverters, etc) all say a range of ~45-65hz. I also don't THINK an inverter generator would immediately 'lurch' its frequency from 50-60hz once the other paralleled unit dropped out. BUT, i haven't tested it. It may gradually return to 60, or it may stay running at the 'last known' frequency forever!

It would be a silly thing to prove out one way or the other if you had no big stake in the results.. I do agree with the whole 'are you sure running these devices at 60 would even hurt' idea, more so than buy random things and try experiments that would 100% void the warranties. ?

That was going to be my first question. I am sure the OP sorted it out but still needs to be asked as a lot of equipment can run of 50/60 hz no problem.

I just want to know about the logistics of connecting up 80 generators and keeping them fueled. Is it even possible to parallel a bunch of generators together like that?

Generac makes an industrial 400kw generator that is 50hz and will just match the output of 80 5kw generators.

Back