diy solar

diy solar

Aoyue soldering irons

namesgolden

Solar Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of the Aoyue refurbished irons, I buy them from SRA-Solder (their website, sometimes on amazon)

I use the 469 at work for LED strips and simple through hole repairs

the 937 lives in my soldering toolbox at home

I have had my hands on a 3in1 hot air unit years ago and it worked fine.

disclamer: i'm not associated with SRA, just a happy long time customer.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered one a few minutes ago for $25 plus shipping. I just bought some loose Boston Power 5.3 amp batteries from a medical cart supplier that went OOB. They are like a double 18650. Anyway, I have to solder them together to run some outdoor lighting so I now have a better chance on not screwing it up with a temp control soldering iron.
Pink Floyd

I just bought some loose Boston Power 5.3 amp batteries from a medical cart supplier that went OOB. They are like a double 18650.

there's a ebay seller with custom battery holders for them, I'm sure you could have some 3d printed locally though

once you build a pack, you could look into a TS-100 iron for mobile use.

be sure to document your builds here. I need to build some rechargeable path/boundary lighting for camping/festivals.

oh and remember, no matter what people say, don't solder bare 18650's. spot weld only. its fine to solder to the bostons with tabs though.

Thanks! I am looking for nickle strips right now with the cross bar design. I may have to punch a hole in the strips over the (-) terminal and scuff the cell tops but I can lift the (+) terminal strip and connect pretty well to that one, --- I hope. This is all pretty well experimental to me right now but most of it seems like common sense applications. I do not really expect to make any type of a payout on these projects. It's like working a puzzle that saves a little bit of $$$ and pushes the technology forward a little.
I am going to use a 3s, 5p config so I should get 12v at around 20 amps and run some 18watt Automotive spot lights with motion sensors and remote key fobs like you put in off road vehicles.
I still have a few blank spots with which small solar panel for a power supply, a solar charge controller (cheap with a suitable charge profile) and a BMS like a Daly 40amp 3s, Lith ion. These cells can charge down to -20C so I really do not need temp protection.
Anyway, Hopefully, I can solder them together without screwing them up. Remember, I am new to this "letrick" stuff.
Pink

Highland Ave and 31st street.
The cells (30, 5300s) came with 10, 3s plastic holders so I can assemble either 2 - 12 volt, 26.5 amp units or 1 - 24volt, 26.5 amp pack.
These cells came out of Buffalo Valley, tn yesterday. I was in Charlotte, Tn on the 26th picking up 4, 100 amp LiFePo cells out of an estate -- new in the box. Small world.
I miss Rick Hall.
Pink

I am going to use a 3s, 5p config so I should get 12v

that's more like 11v that will be fine for lighting, infact the LED's will probably last longer. I put a 3s pack in a 1980's boombox that was naively 12v and it works great.

These cells came out of Buffalo Valley, tn

yeah, user headrc correct? I've seen the listings searching the area for batteries. I'm currently fighting the urge to drive to NC for some of those 24v lifepo4 packs.

Yes, the 3s seems to be the acceptable method for 3.7 cells to get a 12v pack. They are 4.2 fully charged so I guess that'd where they get 12.6. I don't really care as long as the system works correctly. Richard Head is the source.
I bought the LiFePo cells for $350 and they were bought new in November (Orient Power). I bought them without a real plan since I had already ordered from Richard. I just couldn't pass up a half price deal. Plus I have several uses I can easily put them to. These particular cells are touted to go 8,000 cycles so If I just do camping and lighting (rec stuff) they will outlive me.
There is also a set of 170 amp cells in Huntsville for $500 with some monitoring device attached on craigslist, fyi.
Pink

Back