diy solar

diy solar

Aquarium and random other needs solar generator

jbird526

Solar Enthusiast
As a backup to my aquariums built the following. Wanted something a bit more attractive than a crate as it will sit in the living room along with the tanks.

Zantrex 600w that have had for years and never found a proper use.
Renogy Li 40a mppt that I bought used but still in the box.
4s 100ah LFP cells with Daly BMS.
LNEX shunt that is same as Renogy but $30 cheaper.
48v / 10a power supply to act as a power supply through the Renogy mppt.
Hookup for MC4 connectors via SAE cable through the Renogy mppt.

Front panel is plexiglass with window film on it and removable to gain additional access.

image0.jpeg

image1-2.jpeg

image2.jpeg

That's a beautiful enclosure and well organized build. Excellent job! (My crates are jealous.)

My one concern would be whether the handles provide adequate ventilation when the lid is down and the plexiglass is in place. Especially with the inverter and charge controller being so close. I'd consider drilling some vent holes on the sides below them and some on the lid directly above them so that heat can more readily escape. (Unless you always operate it with the lid up. In that case, never mind... :) )

That's a beautiful enclosure and well organized build. Excellent job! (My crates are jealous.)

My one concern would be whether the handles provide adequate ventilation when the lid is down and the plexiglass is in place. Especially with the inverter and charge controller being so close. I'd consider drilling some vent holes on the sides below them and some on the lid directly above them so that heat can more readily escape. (Unless you always operate it with the lid up. In that case, never mind... :) )
Thanks for the comment. Been trying to work on solar and furniture making at the same time so a simple Shaker style seemed like the way to go with a relatively inexpensive solar generator.

I thought the same thing about ventilation. For the foreseeable future have been testing it with the lid up. I thought about adding a computer fan, venting out the back but did not make it that far.

One thing I learned is to mock up the components first with scrap so you can lay things out different ways and then build a cabinet to match.

This was my original board, and first layout, where I moved things around until I figured out what would work best. No front, sides or top and moved things around until I figured out the required dimensions.

thumbnail_IMG_6783.jpg

Back