diy solar

diy solar

Are all panels suitable for a van?

Will any work? Or are some designed only to be used on houses?
Pretty much any panel can be used anywhere. The only trick is finding an SCC that will work with the usually high panel voltages.

Which panels do you have in mind? Your link results in dozens of different panels.

Why one large?

For a van, you may be away from power and really depend on the solar: multiple panels have the advantage that if one fails you still have something.

However, unless you’ve already figured it all out I don’t know what your power needs are. Usually you need to know what you’re powering- then the battery(-ies) can be selected along with enough panel Watts to keep them charged. So “will one big panel work” is unanswerable right now.

Most large panels in the 300 to 400 watt range have an open citcuit voltage of 38 to 48 volts and a maximum current of around 10 amps. They will need to be used with a suitable MPPT controller. Low cost PWM controllers are usually unsuitable, as are many of the units that combine solar controller with engine charging.
MPPT controllers are specified by the maximum current and voltage limits at the input and the maximum current they will put into the battery.
With a 12 volt battery consider, for example, the LG 400 watt panel with an OC voltage of 43.8 and a maximum current of 10.7 amps. In a 12v battery system the 400 watts will generate at the MPPT output around 30 amps.
Readily available controllers, that would operate with this panel are the Epever 3210 and the Victron 100/30.

Practical issues are mounting the panel securely on the van roof and having enough usable area.

Mike

Last edited:
Sorry I realize now that my question was very vague. I wanted 1 large panel due to mounting and space constraints (on a camper) and I was wondering if house solar panels are different to the smaller 100-200W you typically see on campers and whether those larger panels could be used on campers. Your answers were all very helpful!

I think I've decided to just use two Newpowa 200W panels for a total of 400W, with an applicable MPPT controller.

I have a big battery bank and would like more panels but can't due to space. I'm supplementing with DC-DC charging as I'll be driving quite a lot.

Back