diy solar

diy solar

Are Edge Clamps Better Than Using Rear Frame Holes?

Johncfii

Solar Enthusiast
I’m getting ready to ground-mount install a bunch of new 320-watt panels to expand our system.

Is there any reason to think that edge clamps are a better way to secure panels than the less expensive approach of using machine screws/nuts through the rear frame holes to secure the panels to struts? Has anyone ever had a problem, or regretted mounting using the pre-slotted rear frame hole?

I used edge clamps for my roof mount because the small clearance between the panels and the roof didn’t allow easy access using frame screws and bolts. Is that the only reason edge clamps are popular?

I’m thinking that if I bolt through the aluminum frame, I might use something like a 3-inch steel strip to spread out the clamping force and reduce any tendancy for the aluminum frame to tear out in case of high wind.

If edge clamping was an option for me, I would take it. Easier, faster. Is it more secure? I suppose that depends on the design of the rack/clamp and the installer.

If edge clamping was an option for me, I would take it. Easier, faster. Is it more secure? I suppose that depends on the design of the rack/clamp and the installer.
Are you, by any chance, using solar to charge your Leaf? I am thinking about doing this and have a few questions.

Are you, by any chance, using solar to charge your Leaf? I am thinking about doing this and have a few questions.
I don’t have a Leaf, I’m using 100% solar to charge my 2020 Hyundai Kona EV.

Aluminum bar from the box store cut into 3" pieces could be strong enough if thick enough. Something like 1/4 x 1". Cut into 3" pieces I think it would server the purpose.

Do you have any pics of this edge mount you refer to? I have a thread asking for mounting ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry, I am not. No solar at the house. While I have 1280 watts of PV on my RV trailer, the inverter is only 1000 watts and that's not going to cut it when it comes to charging the Leaf.

I have mounted both ways.
i mounted 16 295 watt panels to a iron ridge 1000 rail I bought it locally in 24’ lengths
just lag the rail mount to a rafter twist on the top piece and bolt the rail on .
The panels get screwed down with there bolt , just slip it in the rail and run it down snug with a impact
very easy and tight .

I have mounted both ways.
i mounted 16 295 watt panels to a iron ridge 1000 rail I bought it locally in 24’ lengths
just lag the rail mount to a rafter twist on the top piece and bolt the rail on .
The panels get screwed down with there bolt , just slip it in the rail and run it down snug with a impact
very easy and tight .

I 100% BELIEVE you. The problem is I just can't follow you. Is this the Iron Ridge that you are referring to? And then using that brand of "top piece" ?

Anything more you can clue me in on? Thanks in advance!

Unless he has pics to paints a thousand words, FORGET about it. You can't get ahold of a distributor, if you do they don't know anything and when you can actually reach the Iron Bridge tech support, it's as informative as banging two bricks together.

O just saw this
Yes. Ir
I 100% BELIEVE you. The problem is I just can't follow you. Is this the Iron Ridge that you are referring to? And then using that brand of "top piece" ?

Anything more you can clue me in on? Thanks in advance!

on ridge 1000
There is not much to add
You should look it up on line iveseen some good vids
A just had iron ridge send me there insulation guide

Iron ridge sent me a pdf of the manual
If you get the stuff from a supply house they can get you the information you need
If you buy on line the guy that sell it can give you a design and put together the parts you will need .
I’m off grid now I’ll try to get a few pics up when my service improves

Back