diy solar

diy solar

Are multi-stage charging profiles a real thing?.....

Terrapin

.... I certainly believed so. But I just came across a debate on an RV forum. I cut and pasted the last post below. The responce is outlandish to me...though he claims a history in the field. I am wondering if the guy is just living in the past, prior to computerized sensing and adjusting capabilities and he's just no up to date on new fangled whippersnapper high faluttin' techno stuff. Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I have to disagree. Most modern charges are multi-stage and voltage varies by stage and sometimes even within a stage. Some chargers maintain constant current in the bulk stage by varying voltage, but in any case the voltage is higher than the Absorption stage. Absorption stage is always constant voltage with amperage decreasing as the load increases, and Float stage is a still lower constant voltage.
Since I have designed chargers operating on military equipment and spent nearly 11 years testing batteries and chargers, I’ll respectfully tell you are wrong. Float stage is the only time chargers adjust anything, and that is only voltage. There is no absorption or bulk stage on a charger. That is a description of how the battery state affects voltage and current, but the charger does nothing different. A charger is set at a constant voltage and current throughout the charging process (neglecting temperature changes). The battery determines the actual voltage and current at all times. When deeply discharged, the battery draws maximum current from the charger and the charger puts out as much voltage as it can up to it’s set point.

The point when the charger is finally able to reach its set voltage is when the current begins to decline, but the charger does nothing at all at that point. It never adjusts voltage or current. It continues to function as a simple dumb fixed voltage DC power supply until it senses that the current has dropped below a specific fraction of C. Since commercial charger manufacturers can’t know what battery is hooked to the charger, they often choose 1A as the point where float mode begins.

The idea that chargers are smart or that they have multiple stages is nothing but marketing. A smart charger is a simple fixed voltage DC supply that switches to float voltage when it detects that the battery is drawing 1A or less. A few specialized AGM chargers have a timed finishing stage which runs a slightly elevated float voltage for a few hours at the beginning of the float, and converters tend to have a mode where the charger operates at an intermediate voltage when small loads are applied to the system after full charge is reached.

.... I certainly believed so. But I just came across a debate on an RV forum. I cut and pasted the last post below. The responce is outlandish to me...though he claims a history in the field. I am wondering if the guy is just living in the past, prior to computerized sensing and adjusting capabilities and he's just no up to date on new fangled whippersnapper high faluttin' techno stuff. Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I have to disagree. Most modern charges are multi-stage and voltage varies by stage and sometimes even within a stage. Some chargers maintain constant current in the bulk stage by varying voltage, but in any case the voltage is higher than the Absorption stage. Absorption stage is always constant voltage with amperage decreasing as the load increases, and Float stage is a still lower constant voltage.
Since I have designed chargers operating on military equipment and spent nearly 11 years testing batteries and chargers, I’ll respectfully tell you are wrong. Float stage is the only time chargers adjust anything, and that is only voltage. There is no absorption or bulk stage on a charger. That is a description of how the battery state affects voltage and current, but the charger does nothing different. A charger is set at a constant voltage and current throughout the charging process (neglecting temperature changes). The battery determines the actual voltage and current at all times. When deeply discharged, the battery draws maximum current from the charger and the charger puts out as much voltage as it can up to it’s set point.

The point when the charger is finally able to reach its set voltage is when the current begins to decline, but the charger does nothing at all at that point. It never adjusts voltage or current. It continues to function as a simple dumb fixed voltage DC power supply until it senses that the current has dropped below a specific fraction of C. Since commercial charger manufacturers can’t know what battery is hooked to the charger, they often choose 1A as the point where float mode begins.

The idea that chargers are smart or that they have multiple stages is nothing but marketing. A smart charger is a simple fixed voltage DC supply that switches to float voltage when it detects that the battery is drawing 1A or less. A few specialized AGM chargers have a timed finishing stage which runs a slightly elevated float voltage for a few hours at the beginning of the float, and converters tend to have a mode where the charger operates at an intermediate voltage when small loads are applied to the system after full charge is reached.
I think he is largely correct in some traditional cases. Just working with dumb charger boards, you set a max current and a max voltage and the battery state governs what actually happens. I think smart chargers could use PWM output to increase average voltage and thus work harder to drive a more constant current. Not sure how widely this is used, but very likely it is used. MPPT chargers can be charging and suddenly increase current to match inverter loads when the battery voltage doesn't change much at all. That would indicate some smarts at work.

There are typically three charger states, constant charge, constant voltage, float. But, he's right that for most chargers it's a gimmick as it talks about how the charger works -- not what the battery needs. Some chargers are very very smart about how they work and probably don't fall cleanly into those categories.

Below are three circuits showing a 14V source charging a battery at 10.5V, 12V, and 14V. Notice how the current flow changes as the delta voltage drops (e.g., depleted battery is charged)?
1619355672679.png
1619355707905.png
1619355621758.png

Consider a cheap charger that has a maximum of 14V and 200 mA. When such a charger's circuit pulls more than 200 mA, the voltage falls by ohms law, if less than 200 mA is pulled that the voltage is constant.

So what happens when we hook our 10.5V battery onto the charger? From the emulator above we know it wants to pull 350 mA. But, the charger can't supply it so voltage falls off and only 200 mA current is supplied. Our charger is now in the first state, constant current.

Eventually, the battery charges to 12V, at this point (from the emulated circuit above), the charger can supply all the current the battery can take at 14V. This is the second state, constant voltage.

This is essentially how I charge my LFP-Peak, It's a simple wall-wart at a less than max battery voltage. Nothing fancy (well, it does have a BMS but that's for cell balancing and Vmin cutoff).

The last state float charge does take some special electronics to sense voltage/current/time. You'll also sometimes find sophisticated chargers that can adjust the current flow by battery temperature. So there are some chargers well worth the hype.

So hopefully, that helps explains how electronics limitations got turned into marketing mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:
The most basic "charger" is a constant current constant voltage power supply.
There is no automatic charge termination so a human being has to monitor the charge and disconnect the charger when the battery is full to minimize wear and tear on the battery.

The difference between a charger and a cc/cv psu is charge termination.
As @svetz mentions there are different ways to skin this cat.

Float capability makes a charger like the first runner up in a beauty contest.
The charger is always ready to step in if the battery cannot complete its duties.
Chargers with float capability switch to float mode after their charge termination logic determines that the battery is full.
Instead of turning off, the charger reduces its voltage to float level.
Since the battery has just been charged its voltage is higher than float level so it handles the load.
If the battery is disconnected the charger will service the load.
If the battery is discharged to float level the charger starts to share the load and maintain the battery at float voltage.

Their is another charger feature called re-bulk.
Re-bulk is the logic the charger uses to determine when to restart the cycle by filling the battery full.

He is mostly right but does not cover all chargers or charging profiles.

He does clarify most chargers have a constant voltage through the bulk and absorption phases. The change between these two charging phases is determined by the battery not the charger.

Has anyone ever witnessed the game Monopoly end according to the rules? I think the game may never end.

Last edited:
I believe the game almost ended one day. MOnopoly headquarters provided a loan to the bank and kept it solvent.

Last edited:
Wow such a great bunch of descriptions Thanks All. I have a better grasp of what he is saying and why. But especially why it did not fit all the cases I know of and how marketing speak translates into what is actually happening. @smoothJoey your description fit perfectly explaining what happens and why I have 12V working when I remove my battery from the RV. And @svetz, very well put such that even I could follow why the stages are called such as they are. This site rocks.

Back