diy solar

diy solar

are my calculations accurate to minimize my electric bill using battery and inverter no solar panel

Using battery setups are primarily for use where there can simply be no AC delivery, desire for independence / emergency use - but it is far from cost-saving.

A big mistake is that once a person gets a system up and running, that is based on their *current* power-budget and never exceeding it. That might change if their needs go higher based on the excitement of success!

Also never figured in is the cost of battery-replacements down the road. As a lifestyle, it is not just a one-time occurrence living from batteries - unless one's plan is to dumpster-dive for battery trash.

Ac to dc chargers have terrible efficiency maybe 80% at best. You will lose money :p

This implies the rate is usage based, not time of day based.
If usage based, running a charger and inverter will nearly double your usage over peak...

Lots of replies after this post, but this is really the issue. Unless the tier is time of day based (which he seemed to imply it isn't) his idea simply won't work and will in fact raise his usage and bill.

Using battery setups are primarily for use where there can simply be no AC delivery, desire for independence / emergency use - but it is far from cost-saving.

A big mistake is that once a person gets a system up and running, that is based on their *current* power-budget and never exceeding it. That might change if their needs go higher based on the excitement of success!

Also never figured in is the cost of battery-replacements down the road. As a lifestyle, it is not just a one-time occurrence living from batteries - unless one's plan is to dumpster-dive for battery trash.
Excellent response. So true. I recently thought about this same thing... thinking about batteries and guestimating replacement, upgrading, etc...

I realized how all of that got lost as I poured myself into building the best system I could. Good to remind self: things are all temp.

Back