diy solar

diy solar

Are small wind turbines really worth it?

Alexander

Hello,

I ask the same question here as in "begginers corner" because maybe it is better in this field.

I would like to know if small wind turbines are "fake" or are really able to charge small devices as a phone or smartwatches. I found one in the market for example which says it has 10W, do you think it works? Or will I need too much wind to make it work. Would it be better for the same price to buy a solar pannel? (I live in Switzerland if it changes anything)
This is the wind turbine I am interested in:

Screenshot_20221002-081506_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-081502_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-141200_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for your time!

Alexander

That same price will get you a 100 watt solar panel. No charge controller to go with that panel though.

Without better specs, I’d be hesitant to hook my expensive USB devices to a windmill. I hope it could regulate voltage and current in a way that would communicate with the USB format. A windmill needs a dump Load, perhaps that is built in, but does not say. Windmill output can be erratic, especially when not elevated above obstacles.

10 watts does meet the basic USB charge criteria of a single device at 5 volts and 2 amps, but no fast charging.

An interesting product with a small niche application. Would never pay for itself with electricity produced, but in a place where you need a phone charged and its night, perhaps it would work. Where I live the wind is next to nothing at night, but where I camp 15 knots is typical at night.

I made my own using a couple of small 6v motors (joined in series). Made props (about 20cm dia) out of corflute and put a USB charging thing on it that I got for $1 off ebay.

It would charge a 10,000mah usb power bank over about a week. It was waaaaaaaay more sensitive to wind than my big chinese 400w turbine

Attachments

• minibine.jpg
    minibine.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I made my own using a couple of small 6v motors (joined in series). Made props (about 20cm dia) out of corflute and put a USB charging thing on it that I got for $1 off ebay.

It would charge a 10,000mah usb power bank over about a week. It was waaaaaaaay more sensitive to wind than my big chinese 400w turbine
Wow that's impressive, well done!

Back