diy solar

diy solar

Are there any decent lower cost controller alternatives than Victron?

Phil Orton

I have a need for an MPPT charge controller that will handle over 100v with 40 amp output. 48v lifep04 batteries. Victron
recommends the 150/45 controller. Does anyone know of any decent lower cost alternatives? Thanks in advance...
Update: November 2022
I bought a used 250v Midnite Solar controller on eBay. It is working fine using the ‘follow me’ feature that syncs with my other Midnite controller. Thanks for all your inputs.

Last edited:
AIMS Power has a 100A that is very efficient.

Updated: They have a range from 30A to 100A, UL1741 certified, and starting with the 40A they have 12, 24, 36, and 48Vdc, and an RS485 communications port. No wifi though and they are not fully programmable. You would need to rely on the BMS under low-battery or extreme conditions.

Last edited:
Plug the Midnite into a wireless bridge, about $20, and it connects to your local network. I've been using it for a long time to monitor 3 of them.
I've also been using this to monitor 2 midnites for several years. I'm really happy with all aspects of them except the outdated communications capabilities. Since they are still available and cost about the same or less than the Victron units, along with the fact that I'm also familiar with them, might just get another one. Will also take a look at some of the new stuff midnite has coming out.

Do you want something that turns solar panel DC into battery DC? EPEver, RichSolar, HQST, etc.

Do you want internet access and bluetooth and online monitiring and Solar Flexing to your forum? Victron, MidNite, Outback and fork out the money.

This lack of Bluetooth & being able to access the menus of these devices is a pretty common problem, you would think that a 3rd party company could come up with a product to interface with a lot of these devices and allow Bluetooth and more control. That would be a big hit and a product I would buy
in my situation, I have Victron products but my inverter is go power which does have a basic cabled remote screen interface that I would like to use over Bluetooth etc for just an example

It is when the charger communicates with the battery to get the soc and any other needed information and takes action based on that information.

Back