diy solar

diy solar

Are there any downsides to charging LiFePo4 fast?

forscience

I have a 12V 100ah LifePo4 battery connected in 4s. On Amazon, I see a 14.6V 40A charger and a 20A version. I'm tempted to get the 40A charger, but am not sure if charging that fast will degrade the battery more and cause any heat issues. I'm using 2 AWG wires with a 120A fuse so I'm not too concerned about the wiring. Just wondering if there's anything I should worry about regarding the battery cells assuming that for charging they are rated at 0.5C.

Just wondering if there's anything I should worry about regarding the battery cells assuming that for charging they are rated at 0.5C.
Well 40A is .4C so you're good in that respect.

The question is what you are powering the SCC's with whether you can achieve 40A.
40A x 14.6V = 584W (of solar panels producing 100%)

And, many SCC's have a setting where you can limit charging amps.

And, are you planning on charging your battery to 14.6V everyday? That seems mighty unnecessary, stressful too.
LiFePO4 SoC chart.png

Well 40A is .4C so you're good in that respect.

The question is what you are powering the SCC's with whether you can achieve 40A.
40A x 14.6V = 584W (of solar panels producing 100%)

And, many SCC's have a setting where you can limit charging amps.

And, are you planning on charging your battery to 14.6V everyday? That seems mighty unnecessary, stressful too.
View attachment 79791

It's not a SCC, but an A/C adapter that plugs into a normal wall outlet(link). I plan to charge it about 2 times a week. Though my cells are not grade A cells and are probably at 80% the original capacity; would this lower the 0.5C charge rating?

It's not a SCC, but an A/C adapter that plugs into a normal wall outlet(link).
Ok, i just assumed SCC since you are in the DIY Solar forum (? as opposed to battery discussion?).
Though my cells are not grade A cells and are probably at 80% the original capacity; would this lower the 0.5C charge rating?
That's a good question!

But that charger, set to 14.6V is REALLY troubling. For that kind of money I'd want something configurable just in case i initially wanted to charge to 14.6V and then came to my senses.

And had configurable charging amps!

Back