diy solar

diy solar

Are there any inverter/charges for under $500 that don't suck?

mateo

I'm in my inverter research stage, and I was originally just going to go with a simple 2000w inverter, but it seems that many advise an inverter/charger if I'm ever in a less sunny area and have access to shore power. Unfortunately I'm starting to agree with these opinions and am entertaining the thought. However the prices on inverter/chargers are crazy!! Many of the recommended ones like the victron and the samlex are waayyy out of my price range.

So I'm wondering if there are any inverter/charges that fall below the $500 mark that don't just straight up suck? Is that not a thing?
Renogy's is a bit over 600... Which hurts to think of spending and that's as far as I can tell a fairly cheap one... Yes I know I'm stingy.

In case it's relevant I'll be running two 230w panels through a 40a mppt (haven't decided which one yet..) and into two 202Ah LifePo4 battery packs I'm building with two separate overkill 120a bms.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

When you add the charger function, that puts you in a different category. Below $500 is tough. A high current AC-DC converter can easily run $200 or more.

"Not suck" is vague. I might need a feature that not all inverters have. I would label those inverters as "sucky" while others might see no suck at all. I label all of the MPP Solar and Growatt systems as "sucky" because I don't like cheap Chinese HF inverters with no surge; HOWEVER, if I'm just looking for a unit for a solar shed or other project where surge isn't a concer, and quality/reliability takes a back seat to cost, I could seriously consider one because their $ to suck ratio might be acceptable, or it's because I want to save money by having the SCC built in, or whatever.

If you've identified some "don't suck" inverters that aren't chargers, you can also consider the aforementioned AC-DC converter. I'm very fond of these:

I started off with a "Value" brand Inverter/Charger. A Yiyen APC-3024, 3000 Watt Low Frequency and it worked quite well, I ended up[ upgrading to a 4Kw Inverter/Charger though. This is the one I have, which is now my backup Inverter/Charger.
2nd Gen APC Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Charger - YIY-China Inverter Manufacturer, Power Inverter for Home Solar System (yiyen.com)

Yiyen Models are available on EBay here:
CHINA YIYEN ELECTRIC-YIY | eBay Stores

Sigineer is another Good Value Brand which several members here are using as well.
Inverter Manufacturers | Whole House Inverter For Sale (sigineer.com)

When you add the charger function, that puts you in a different category. Below $500 is tough. A high current AC-DC converter can easily run $200 or more.

"Not suck" is vague. I might need a feature that not all inverters have. I would label those inverters as "sucky" while others might see no suck at all. I label all of the MPP Solar and Growatt systems as "sucky" because I don't like cheap Chinese HF inverters with no surge; HOWEVER, if I'm just looking for a unit for a solar shed or other project where surge isn't a concer, and quality/reliability takes a back seat to cost, I could seriously consider one because their $ to suck ratio might be acceptable, or it's because I want to save money by having the SCC built in, or whatever.

If you've identified some "don't suck" inverters that aren't chargers, you can also consider the aforementioned AC-DC converter. I'm very fond of these:

Do you run that in the fixed power mode for Lifepo4?

The manual is a little confusing, can the voltage be adjusted for the three stage charging mode?

looks like they skip 2000 watts, but the low frequency surge is nice...

Reactions: Dzl

They have a 12V/2000W but it's UL listed @ $599
TSW Inverter Charger 2KW 12V to 120V Pure Sine Wave Ouput UL listed (sigineer.com)

* I've read in a few places that the AIMS inverters are supplied by Sigineer. It seems to me that Yiyen, Sigineer and a couple of other all make identical "appearing" equipment. I know that both Yiyen & Sigineer are OEMS which many VARs use so Aims is quite possible, and some of the other similar appearing "brands" are also likely VAR variations.
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.
VAR = Value Added Reseller.

Reactions: Dzl
Do you run that in the fixed power mode for Lifepo4?

The manual is a little confusing, can the voltage be adjusted for the three stage charging mode?

You can, but you also adjust the bulk voltage with the pot in 3 phase charging mode.

I would hesitate to order from that site as I'm 99% sure they ship from Asia, and you can't get a shipping total until you have entered payment info.

Those same inverters are relabeled for other importers. These are Sigineer units in the States:

I just noticed that they have 1kW and 1.5kW for under $500. These things are heavy and ground shipping is usually around $75-100.

I'm all about toying that line of $ to suck ratio!

I'll definitely look into a separate inverter and charger though prefer a two-in-one unit for less wiring and such as this is going in a bus and trying to keep electrical system as compact as possible.

I started off with a "Value" brand Inverter/Charger. A Yiyen APC-3024, 3000 Watt Low Frequency and it worked quite well, I ended up[ upgrading to a 4Kw Inverter/Charger though. This is the one I have, which is now my backup Inverter/Charger.
2nd Gen APC Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Charger - YIY-China Inverter Manufacturer, Power Inverter for Home Solar System (yiyen.com)

Yiyen Models are available on EBay here:
CHINA YIYEN ELECTRIC-YIY | eBay Stores

Sigineer is another Good Value Brand which several members here are using as well.
Inverter Manufacturers | Whole House Inverter For Sale (sigineer.com)
Thanks for the links!

How's that Yiyen been treating you? Has it been a fairly true 3Kw inverter, or is it more of a 1500 usable, 3000 surge?
And for the upgrade, are you going with a 4Kw Yiyen as well?

Found this one on Yiyen's Ebay store
But it is listed for 24/48V, not 12V. And also shows 220v output.

I only see this one at a 12v input and 120v output, but it's only 1.5Kw

going in a bus and trying to keep electrical system as compact as possible.
It may be more prudent then to consider an AIO All In One unit which incorporates the Solar Controller, Inverter & Charger.

The Yiyen I have treated me very well... It handles 3000W fine and surges well as well (my Mig tested that). It IS Low Frequency so that means it can handle 9000W surge.
I replaced it with a Samlex EVO-4024 which is a considerably more serious product (being Tier-1). ($2100 vs $600 LOL, different GRADE)

The Guts of teh APC-3024: It has a Huge Copper Coil.
1608235893891-png.30546

They have a 12V/2000W but it's UL listed @ $599
TSW Inverter Charger 2KW 12V to 120V Pure Sine Wave Ouput UL listed (sigineer.com)

* I've read in a few places that the AIMS inverters are supplied by Sigineer. It seems to me that Yiyen, Sigineer and a couple of other all make identical "appearing" equipment. I know that both Yiyen & Sigineer are OEMS which many VARs use so Aims is quite possible, and some of the other similar appearing "brands" are also likely VAR variations.
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.
VAR = Value Added Reseller.
So sounds like Sigineer and Yiyen are pretty similar?

If so, Yiyen's models are a tad cheaper and have shipping listed on their Ebay page.
Whereas if snoobler is right, there could be an uncharge later in the checkout process...
I would hesitate to order from that site as I'm 99% sure they ship from Asia, and you can't get a shipping total until you have entered payment info.

Those same inverters are relabeled for other importers. These are Sigineer units in the States:

I just noticed that they have 1kW and 1.5kW for under $500. These things are heavy and ground shipping is usually around $75-100.
Everyone's skipping the 2k!
But the 1.5K shows $428 shipped from US stock so that's not too bad..

It may be more prudent then to consider an AIO All In One unit which incorporates the Solar Controller, Inverter & Charger.

The Yiyen I have treated me very well... It handles 3000W fine and surges well as well (my Mig tested that). It IS Low Frequency so that means it can handle 9000W surge.
I replaced it with a Samlex EVO-4024 which is a considerably more serious product (being Tier-1). ($2100 vs $600 LOL, different GRADE)

The Guts of teh APC-3024: It has a Huge Copper Coil.
1608235893891-png.30546
Oh wow it handled a Mig welder?? That's an impressive surge..

Hmm I hadn't considered that. I was originally thinking of a separate MPPT that could be mounted in a more accessible location so I can see the screen to keep track of the system and whatnot. Though I suppose lots of MPPTs have apps and/or a separate screen attachment.

It took the Mig Welder but it DIDN'T like it ! Ohh Nooo... also 24V on 2/0 Wire to the inverter for that load, okay but not for long run time use. The mig is only for use with the 7200/9000 Genny.

There's a lot of things at play when building a system up. Wiring, fuses, lugs & terminals and all that extra stuff can be nuts. AIO's may cost more up front in one sense but less when you consider the integration. Ones from MPP-solar for example are modular internally, so parts can be replaced, then can have external monitoring and even management depending on model.

Options to consider and compare especially when it comes down to $$, all the extras add up fast !

Here is one 12V model from MPP PIP-1012LV-MK – usamppsolar
They only have 3, 12V models available. Search Results for “” – usamppsolar

As long as it has one of these two features I would consider it.
  • A low voltage disconnect that is appropriate for LiFePO4 batteries. 10V is too low a threshold voltage in my opinion. Bonus points if this threshold is programmable.
  • External switch closure input to control inverter. This way I can easily control the inverter with an external battery protect module.

Thanks for the links!

How's that Yiyen been treating you? Has it been a fairly true 3Kw inverter, or is it more of a 1500 usable, 3000 surge?
My Growatts do 3k and slightly above. Most of my "testing" that put it at or slightly over 3k was from a ~1500w microwave that would cycle.

It took the Mig Welder but it DIDN'T like it ! Ohh Nooo... also 24V on 2/0 Wire to the inverter for that load, okay but not for long run time use. The mig is only for use with the 7200/9000 Genny.

There's a lot of things at play when building a system up. Wiring, fuses, lugs & terminals and all that extra stuff can be nuts. AIO's may cost more up front in one sense but less when you consider the integration. Ones from MPP-solar for example are modular internally, so parts can be replaced, then can have external monitoring and even management depending on model.

Options to consider and compare especially when it comes down to $$, all the extras add up fast !

Here is one 12V model from MPP PIP-1012LV-MK – usamppsolar
They only have 3, 12V models available. Search Results for “” – usamppsolar

Welp I bit the bullet on one of the Yiyen. 2Kw pure sine inverter/charger
I messaged Jacky Zhang and she was very responsive and knocked almost $100 off the price for me! Came out to under $400 with tax and shipping.

She also asked me to give her the charge shut off voltage and discharge shut off voltage for my batteries, and I don't think I yet know how to answer that..
I'll have 202Ah 3.2v cells run in a 4p2s configuration with two separate Overkill 4s 120a BMS's. So in theory my voltage would be 12.8. But what would be the charge and discharge shutoffs? I'm guessing these will be something I set in the BMS?

(also, I decided against a built in MPPT as I'm willing to gamble on my inverter, but gambling on cheaper Chinese electronics for MPPT scares me a bit more..)

I have looked at that one too. I like the looks of those big toroidal transformers. Are the LVD and HVD adjustable on the inverter? Perhaps if you asked her to send the manual we could take a look at it.

You want your inverter to be the first line of defense against over charge or over discharge. If the inverter is programmable then set it to cut off between the knees of your cells SOC. Generally 12 and 14 volts. The BMS will be the second line of defense. Therefore your BMS should be configured to cut off the load at 10 volts and 14.6 volts.

If your cells are not well matched, then this could be a problem. You won't know until you have parallel top balanced your cells, then put them is series with the BMS and run a capacity test on them how well balanced the cells are.

I have looked at that one too. I like the looks of those big toroidal transformers. Are the LVD and HVD adjustable on the inverter? Perhaps if you asked her to send the manual we could take a look at it.

You want your inverter to be the first line of defense against over charge or over discharge. If the inverter is programmable then set it to cut off between the knees of your cells SOC. Generally 12 and 14 volts. The BMS will be the second line of defense. Therefore your BMS should be configured to cut off the load at 10 volts and 14.6 volts.

If your cells are not well matched, then this could be a problem. You won't know until you have parallel top balanced your cells, then put them is series with the BMS and run a capacity test on them how well balanced the cells are.
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't the charge controller the first line of defense? And then the inverter just converts the DC into AC power??

That is a High Frequency Inverter I believe, especially at that price, it absolutely cannot be a Low Frequency model. Possibly Transformerless ?
That is NOTHING like the Low Frequency Unit I used.

Mateo, many of your questions are answered here regarding cells, assembly etc:
Thanks for the link!

And yeah that price is quite low for low frequency. It's even cheaper than most high frequency inverter/chargers out there...
I guess I'm a guinea pig for y'all! I'll letcha know how it goes.

Back