diy solar

diy solar

Are there any inverter/charges for under $500 that don't suck?

Also, I was wondering, does anybody use two inverters, one big and one little?
I'll explain..

The only AC load I require running 24/7 is my mini fridge which is I believe only 50-60W, and other than that my basic electric needs will be DC (lights, electronics charging, fans, etc..)
So it seems sort of silly to have an inverter that draws power on standby when I am barely using any of its power.
Is it logical to get a small 150W inverter (something like this, but would maybe try and find a 150w) and run the fridge off of that 24/7, and then only turn on and use the full size 2Kw inverter when necessary?
Yes, this is a fairly common situation in marine and mobile systems (for the same reasons you are considering it). As @Hedges mentioned you need to watch out and make sure the startup surge from the fridge is not too much for your inverter to handle. But if the fridges normally draws 50-60W something like this could likely handle the surge without a problem.

@Hedges I have heard a few times that fridges + inverter sleep/eco modes sometimes don't play nice together. I have not looked into this and don't recall why. Do you know anything about this?

@Hedges I have heard a few times that fridges + inverter sleep/eco modes sometimes don't play nice together. I have not looked into this and don't recall why. Do you know anything about this?

A guess - the defrost timer? My cube fridge doesn't have one, but upright freezer has a mechanical timer to enable heating element periodically.
If that is the issue, could either disable it or adjust minimum current of inverter (assuming it is programmable)

Also, I was wondering, does anybody use two inverters, one big and one little?
I'll explain..

The only AC load I require running 24/7 is my mini fridge which is I believe only 50-60W, and other than that my basic electric needs will be DC (lights, electronics charging, fans, etc..)
So it seems sort of silly to have an inverter that draws power on standby when I am barely using any of its power.
Is it logical to get a small 150W inverter (something like this, but would maybe try and find a 150w) and run the fridge off of that 24/7, and then only turn on and use the full size 2Kw inverter when necessary?
I would rather just buy a fridge that runs off 12VDC.

I am pretty happy with the IceGo I bought. These have low voltage disconnects built into them so they won't drain your battery to death.

I have the smaller Iceco G20, but I think this one is a very compelling option for more people, longer trips.

A guess - the defrost timer? My cube fridge doesn't have one, but upright freezer has a mechanical timer to enable heating element periodically.
If that is the issue, could either disable it or adjust minimum current of inverter (assuming it is programmable)
Possibly yes. Or possibly something to do with the thermostat / duty cycle? If thermostats were no longer mechanical it would need some power to cycle on/off wouldn't it?

I know i'll get yelled at but power jack is my chose.
I promise not to yell ? buuuuuut...
I can't resist posting this 12V Power Jack inverter with an advertised 8,000W continuous 32,000W peak ?and a tropical beach scene on the front for $499..

Screenshot_2021-01-16 32000W 8000W LF Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC 110V AC 3 5 LCD UPS...png

8,000W @ 12v = 670A with inefficiency probably closer to 800A
32,000W @ 12v
with inefficiency = over 3,100A

And this perplexing note in the description..
1.Note: this item is 12V DC Input, usually when you use big power,the best Input voltage is 12V,because the amp will become small, will not cause the inverter getting so hot, if inverter not hot, the efficiency will arrive 2-3%,means can go to 92-94%, also your battery bank can keep very good performance! watt=volt x amp, once your voltage getting high, your amp will become small.
(to be fair that comes from the seller which may or may not be the maker)

Last edited:
Getting above $500, obviously, but the Sigineer 3kw 12v Inverter / Charger of 70 amps at $659:

has a $70 remote panel:

that now has dry contact relay input capability when connected to this $89 DC Voltage Detector, so you can specify
1 Low Battery CutoffRelay A gets from Close to OpenDry Contact on RLCD6-17v13-34V26-68V
2 Low Battery RecoveryRelay A gets from Open to CloseDry Contact on RLCD7-18V14-35V28-70v
3 Frequency SwitchRelay B gets from Open to Close60/62.5hz Dry Contact7-18V14-35V28-70V
4 Frequency RecoveryRelay B gets from Close to Open60/62.5hz Dry Contact6-17V13-34V26-68V
5 AC Charger CutoffRelay C gets from Close to OpenRemote Control of AC Input Breaker7-18V14-35V28-70V
6 AC Charger RecoveryRelay C gets from Open to CloseRemote Control of AC Input Breaker6-17V13-34V26-68V
7 Screen Timeout10 to 60 mins, 99 represents constant on
8 Audio Alarm99 represents constant on, 00 presents off

With Free Shipping to US from Sigineer, that totals $818

Getting above $500, obviously, but the Sigineer 3kw 12v Inverter / Charger of 70 amps has a $70 remote panel that now has dry contact relay input capability

Combine the Sigineer with a decent battery monitor and you could have a reasonable system.

Do you have to buy the remote panel to use the relay input? Does it have more than one relay input so you can control charging and load separately?

The contacts for the DC Voltage Detector are on the remote panel.

The only other information I have is this :

And the manual for the inverter/charger is here:

Using the Battery Type selector switch on the inverter/ charger, these are the charging profiles, AGM1 looks promising:
Battery type selectorSwitch
settingDescription Boost/Vdc, Float/Vdc
0 Charger Off
1 Gel USA 14.0 13.7
2 AGM 1 14.1 13.4
3 AGM 2 / Lithium Battery 14.6 13.7
4 Sealed lead acid 14.4 13.6
5 Gel EURO 14.4 13.8
6 Open lead acid 14.8 13.3
7 Calcium 15.1 13.6
8 De sulphation 15.5 (4 Hours then Off)
9 Not used
12Vdc Mode (*2 for 24Vdc ; *4 for 48Vdc)

Last edited:
So now that we have covered all the ridiculous labeled china inverters, Why arn't we considering an all-in-one?

3kw Growatt in 24v or 48v is ~$700 and includes a 80a MPPT, AC charging, and data monitoring. Its a no brainer.

So now that we have covered all the ridiculous labeled china inverters, Why arn't we considering an all-in-one?

3kw Growatt in 24v or 48v is ~$700 and includes a 80a MPPT, AC charging, and data monitoring. Its a no brainer.
I've been very interested in the Growatts, if you would be so kind could you measure your idle loss? Idle loss being the power used by the inverter with no load on it but its not on 'standby'.
Thanks!

I've been very interested in the Growatts, if you would be so kind could you measure your idle loss? Idle loss being the power used by the inverter with no load on it but its not on 'standby'.
Thanks!
I was showing a friend last night and noted that the Shunt said 75w for my 2 units (37w each) while in grid bypass.

This is another tempting All-In-One option. I'm going by AussieSim's review of another inverter from Snadi. That one is just too big and heavy for me but this all in one seems to have it all, and is also low frequency for about $630 delivered to the US. I had considered 2 3000w Growatts but having the surge factor in this- hypothetical since they don't mention that nor the idle power use. I might have to contact them later today.

Last edited:
This is another tempting All-In-One option. I'm going by AussieSim's review of another inverter from Snadi. That one is just too big and heavy for me but this all in one seems to have it all, and is also low frequency for about $630 delivered to the US. I had considered 2 3000w Growatts but having the surge factor in this- hypothetical since they don't mention that nor the idle power use. I might have to contact them later today.
I inquired about that one and had Camille send me the manual. This is what the overload is rated at: 110-120%/30S;>160%/300ms;No mention of the idle draw. It does look like a sweet item.

People that have bought their stuff seem happy with it from the YouTube videos I have watched. I decided on the FT-B 2KW since I was looking for a UPS with an external battery hookup and shipping was easier. I paid $169.00 plus shipping. Total was $404.00. Camille told me they could not set the LVD unless I bought a bunch of them.,,,lol. Oh well, it uses the same profiles as the one mateo ordered and the manual is basically the same. So basically I am getting the same thing mateo ordered but in a bigger box. If it works like it's supposed to it will be perfect for me.

I also discovered the inverter @mateo ordered is sold by Snadi. I am thinking there are various suppliers selling this stuff and it's all coming from a central factory.

I have attached the manual for the MPPT. You will have to unzip it. NOTE: I too was impressed with Aussiesim's review and he got a sweet deal. But still use caution if buying from Snadi. I will do a review of mine when I receive it. I hope it's shipped before the Chinese New Year.

Attachments

• Snadi-MPPT.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Hi Skid,

Alibaba advertisements aren't always completely accurate as they often cover multiple SKUs.

Confirm with Camille that this is a low freq inverter, what its weight is, photos of the insides, and whether it can be built to the voltage/Hz you need (ie 240V and not 220V)

Back