diy solar

diy solar

Are Trina 400w panels any good?

thenunzzz

I'd like to use something like this on my van as I am very limited on roof space and would only be able to fit one of these. My system will be 24v 400ah LiFeP04, Victron Multiplus 3000w, I still don't know what size MPPT I will need though. I apologize for my lack of solar knowledge, still learning over here! Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes.

400W/24V = 16.7A

20A MPPT works.

What if you could get 6 100W panels on there?

Yes.

400W/24V = 16.7A

20A MPPT works.

What if you could get 6 100W panels on there?
That would be awesome but there’s no way. I have a massive skylight at the back and then a Maxxair fan toward the front. I’ll measure how much real estate I have left in the morning. I’m hoping I even have enough for just 1Trina panel.

Victron anything is goooood.

And it would work for 600W too when you figure out how to arrange them.

Victron anything is goooood.

And it would work for 600W too when you figure out how to arrange them.
? really driving home the 600, I like it lol I think the only way would be to get 2 295w panels I’ve seen on Craigslist. A guy near me has a bunch of overstock for $180 a pop.

Be cautious buying 2nd hand Trina panels if that is what you are talking about on Craigs. I'm not saying they are all dud but there were heaps sold in Australia around 7-9 years ago that all went leaky electrically due to water ingress and are now being replaced. Pay close attention to the front appearance of the panel. If you see cracking in the epoxy that contains the cells around the edges of the panel near the frame, looks like safety glass when broken, they are probably leaky. Also check the bus wire strips at the top and bottom short edge of the panel for discolouration.

Be cautious buying 2nd hand Trina panels if that is what you are talking about on Craigs. I'm not saying they are all dud but there were heaps sold in Australia around 7-9 years ago that all went leaky electrically due to water ingress and are now being replaced. Pay close attention to the front appearance of the panel. If you see cracking in the epoxy that contains the cells around the edges of the panel near the frame, looks like safety glass when broken, they are probably leaky. Also check the bus wire strips at the top and bottom short edge of the panel for discolouration.
The Craigslist panels are REC Twinpeak 2 black series. The Trina I shared is new.

Trina Solar TSM-400DE15H(II) (400W) i can get these for 160 is this good deal, and how do i tell if they were the bad batch people are talking about. These are new

I am trying out 2 new Trina 400w panels. The main disadvantage is that these panels are huge: over 6 feet tall and over 3 feet wide and almost 60 pounds each. I have them both propped upright on the balcony of my flat. I have them in series connected to a 60a Epever controller. They are facing West Southwest so the late afternoon/early evening sun hits them pretty direct for about an hour. The best I have gotten out of them so far is 480 watts at 18 amps (SmartShunt). Everything is based around a 24v 240ah 16 cell pack. But even with a bright blue sky they are sending up to 15-30 watts to the battery continuously. So far I am pleased with their performance. I have yet to use them in a 'normal' setting.

1623109255586.png

Trina Solar TSM-400DE15H(II) (400W) i can get these for 160 is this good deal, and how do i tell if they were the bad batch people are talking about. These are new
Hey just interested to know did u get theses panels ?

I am trying out 2 new Trina 400w panels. The main disadvantage is that these panels are huge: over 6 feet tall and over 3 feet wide and almost 60 pounds each. I have them both propped upright on the balcony of my flat. I have them in series connected to a 60a Epever controller. They are facing West Southwest so the late afternoon/early evening sun hits them pretty direct for about an hour. The best I have gotten out of them so far is 480 watts at 18 amps (SmartShunt). Everything is based around a 24v 240ah 16 cell pack. But even with a bright blue sky they are sending up to 15-30 watts to the battery continuously. So far I am pleased with their performance. I have yet to use them in a 'normal' setting.

View attachment 51932
Hey I am new here looking at paying deposit for this panel I think quote for 10.2 kw I think total quote around 7800. Have u liked theses panels

Back