diy solar

diy solar

Arranging Strings toward different quadrants of the sky

The cost of quality grid tied battery systems permitted to be installed on our grid has not fallen over the past five years, indeed they have gone up.

I'm not hold my breath that such systems will drop to less than 1/3rd of their current price any time soon.
Give it some time and the electricity will go up 300%. Don't be impatient. :whistle:

Give it some time and the electricity will go up 300%. Don't be impatient.
The time to get grid tied battery is when it makes sense to do so, not before.

Getting one before it makes sense is just throwing money away. Buying one and then hoping it makes sense in five year's time just means you then have a five year old battery which has lost you money for five years and needs to be replaced five years earlier than would have been needed.

Predicting energy market prices is a mug's game.

It's way more productive to reduce energy consumption in the first place. Energy not consumed is the cheapest energy of all.

Sure, those are valid points. Batteries are cool though, and make some people feel better from a sense of security against questionable power grids.
Yes, and is why I said earlier:

Off-grid DIY, that's different.

I have an off-grid battery system. It's line ball as to whether it makes financial sense but I'm working on it with some smarts and automations.

It's a project which has the primary task of being a grid outage backup system. We get about a dozen longer outages a year where I am (that's the average since I started recording the data since 2018).

@wattmatters

Sure, those are valid points. Batteries are cool though, and make some people feel better from a sense of security against questionable power grids.
My main motivation was to give them some security (solar/batteries) during a prolonged outage. Even though Texas is essentially on it's own grid, it's run by nitwits and bureaucrats (interchangeable) some of which don't even live in the state.
I've given them a small backup generator (12kw) to run essentials, but all the fearmongering from the media about a grid down scenario because of record heatwaves etc. has made finding a decent sized propane tank like finding a unicorn. One clown tried to charge me $8,000 bucks for a 500 gallon tank.
Not to get too far off topic here, but I think there will be a "great reset" of the financial system and many other things, There will be a lot of chaos and uncertainty during this period. Pretty sure the prices and availability of everything is not going to go down.
Pretty frustrating when we know that LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions) is a safe and viable alternative for energy production.

Back