diy solar

diy solar

Assembling my 2000w 24v system.

Fran365

I’m trying to determine the best lay out. I have a few questions down the road but thought I’d begin here: any ideas on layout. First question is is it detrimental to have something fused twice.?2CDCDD4A-5113-46AB-83E1-C77FC841A788.jpeg19687E2D-7041-4DF4-9C10-B34729FEC59A.jpeg

I’m trying to determine the best lay out. I have a few questions down the road but thought I’d begin here: any ideas on layout. First question is is it detrimental to have something fused twice.?
It just adds a bit of extra resistance.
Are you thinking of fusing the positive and negative side of a circuit perhaps?

Fuses in series is fine so long as they don’t add resistance to the system. Quality products quality workmanship.
Thank you sir, at this point I have 50 amp fuse, little black one in the pix, I’ve got to verify if the inverter has an internal fuse and also the BBorn batteries.

What are the external connection items? I see an ATS so i would try to match height and convenience for those plugs(?).

Inverter to battery as close as possible since those will be your biggest, most expensive, hardest to bend wires.
Thanks, little direction helps. As I assembled these parts I just became bewildered as to how to stack them, time will help.

It just adds a bit of extra resistance.
Are you thinking of fusing the positive and negative side of a circuit perhaps?
Right now I have a dc digital multi function meter, that has a component that looks like a fuse(it’s marked 100 amp 75 mv, fl-2 .5) and it mounts on the neg. side. I also have a 50 e9 tocas breaker, that Mr Prowse has mounted going into the mppt.

Right now I have a dc digital multi function meter, that has a component that looks like a fuse(it’s marked 100 amp 75 mv, fl-2 .5) and it mounts on the neg. side. I also have a 50 e9 tocas breaker, that Mr Prowse has mounted going into the mppt.
Please post a picture of the "dc digital multi function meter".

That is 100A shunt, not a fuse. You will need small in-line fuse for the Monitor module in case the module shorted so the small wire feeding the power to the module will not catch on fire.

That is 100A shunt, not a fuse. You will need small in-line fuse for the Monitor module in case the module shorted so the small wire feeding the power to the module will not catch on fire.
Thanks Mr. Martin, this shunt was not part of W. Prowse blueprint. I was at a site that just said this was a nice meter for the money and useful after installation.

Fuses in series is fine so long as they don’t add resistance to the system. Quality products quality workmanship.
Hello Doc, when using bus bars, neg or pos, should there be only one terminal per stud, and how do you determine the wire size for the smaller connections in a solar system.

Gents, I have determined a 150 Amp main fuse between battery and inverter, sound right for a 2000watt, 24 volt inverter. What inverter position would maximize heat loss: terminals up or down. While here, I plan to attach a extension cord remnant to the inverter 110v out receptacle, and lead it to a work box, at a convenient spot, with a gfi, any issues with these ideas. Note, I presently have 2 200 watt 24 volt solar panels to get this up and running.

Thanks for the help to recent questions, I was trying to hurry up, but have slowed down. I dug up my Mobile Solar power book by Mr. Prowse and am studying it. Aside from not much mention of 24v systems it answers most questions. Thanks Will.

Back