diy solar

diy solar

Assistance requested

djdubuque

I just had a system installed in the field to provide water to the pond. The issue I have is that the installer didn't provide the information on what he installed. So I could later upgrade if needed. The following images are what I have.

Capture2.JPGCapture.JPG I assume that this is an inverter as it only has the connections from the panels and is connected directly to the pump.

My panels are as follows;

4- 330 W rated at 39.10V each @ 8.4A

panel spec.JPGpanel.JPG

My question is this, if I wanted to add battery backup, should I have a
SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER then connect to the panel shown above?

We are trying to fill a 50'w X 100'L X 15'D pond

pond.JPG

Thanks

I just had a system installed in the field to provide water to the pond. The issue I have is that the installer didn't provide the information on what he installed. So I could later upgrade if needed. The following images are what I have.

View attachment 12011View attachment 12012 I assume that this is an inverter as it only has the connections from the panels and is connected directly to the pump.

My panels are as follows;

4- 330 W rated at 39.10V each @ 8.4A

View attachment 12013View attachment 12014

My question is this, if I wanted to add battery backup, should I have a
SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER then connect to the panel shown above?

We are trying to fill a 50'w X 100'L X 15'D pond

View attachment 12015

Thanks
Wiring terminations in box look dodgy - could have used lugs to terminate the Black / White / Brown.
Have you checked the pump delivery ? From what I can make out from the spec the pump max demand is : 1.3*1500W = 1950W and a DC voltage of 110 - 150v @ 15 amp max. Your system 4 x panels ( in series ) can only deliver 8.4 amps @ 156v at best. This is 1313.76W at best. In parallel this would also be ( 39.1v @ 33.6 amp ) 1313.76W but the voltage would be to low for the pump controller. a Battery would be able to supply the additional power required depending on your duty cycle but you would require a SCC.

Last edited:
Wiring terminations in box look dodgy - could have used lugs to terminate the Black / White / Brown.
Have you checked the pump delivery ? From what I can make out from the spec the pump max demand is : 1.3*1500W = 1950W and a DC voltage of 110 - 150v @ 15 amp max. Your system 4 x panels ( in series ) can only deliver 8.4 amps @ 156v at best. This is 1313.76W at best. In parallel this would also be ( 39.1v @ 33.6 amp ) 1313.76W but the voltage would be to low for the pump controller. a Battery would be able to supply the additional power required depending on your duty cycle but you would require a SCC.

I just spoke with the distributor of our system and we came up with the following;

Design.JPG

With the information I've submitted could anyone recommend a MPPT charge controller and battery sizing 12/24/48?

Thanks

With the information I've submitted could anyone recommend a MPPT charge controller and battery sizing 12/24/48?

Thanks
You still have not answered questions above e.g. is the system working at present ? How well ? What is the problem ?

You still have not answered questions above e.g. is the system working at present ? How well ? What is the problem ?

Yes the system is currently working I'm looking to build on to it. As the pump will not be running everyday I want to use the panels for other projects.

You will have to do a complete energy audit of your current / future requirements and take it from there. Your system already requires 150v DC for the pump controller and to back this up with a battery system / MPPT controller is going to be a challenge. You may have to re-arrange / augment your current setup into a 24 or 48 volt solar array , MPPT controller and battery bank to match. Add an inverter and split the output into two circuits - one circuit for your AC requirements and another that converts the AC into the 150v DC for your pump setup.
Maybe someone with more experience / knowledge on living off the grid can contribute more here. I stand corrected in my approach please.

You will have to do a complete energy audit of your current / future requirements and take it from there. Your system already requires 150v DC for the pump controller and to back this up with a battery system / MPPT controller is going to be a challenge. You may have to re-arrange / augment your current setup into a 24 or 48 volt solar array , MPPT controller and battery bank to match. Add an inverter and split the output into two circuits - one circuit for your AC requirements and another that converts the AC into the 150v DC for your pump setup.
Maybe someone with more experience / knowledge on living off the grid can contribute more here. I stand corrected in my approach please.

Understand, so do you think my next idea would work for what I want to accomplish?

Install a two way switch.
switch.jpg
Position 1 would power the pump when needed and position 2 would power the MPPT and charge batteries.

Do you have a DC multimeter ? Want to confirm something . Maybe you can read it off the pump controller display. What is the input voltage to the controller from the solar array ?

Last edited:
I have a meter but I am 2000 miles away from the site at the moment. I can't take any readings for the next 6 months.

Back