diy solar

diy solar

Assistance with inverter choice Growatt 10k?

philcollins

Hello All, I had my solar planned out and ready to submit for permits with QS-1 microinverters but started to rethink my plan and need some advice. I want to have the option to use batteries in the future and I know I can do AC couple but figured if I plan it now I could save cost/complexity. My chosen solar panels are the Solarever 365w that are 10.62 amps. It appears the Growatt 10k maxes out each string at 9.5amps. Am I reading that right? If so the 10k wont work with my chosen panels. Could I use a Growatt 12k off grid inverter? I am on grid but not need to be grid tied since I don't care about net metering (not too attractive in my area of Texas). Would I be better off with 3 Growatt 5k's? I think ideally I need the Solarark 12K but$$$$$.

Any suggestions? My setup will be 14k of solar so I know whatever I choose I will need another inverter but just trying to figure out the bulk of the setup.

The output power (amps x volts) of your panels are stated under test conditions. Life in the real world is less optimistic. I make my calculations at 80% of rated power or thereabouts.

My panels are rated at 9.5 amps but at high noon on a crystal-clear day I've only ever seen about 8, and this was on an unseasonably cold day. (Panels make more power the colder they get.)

If you're getting 9.5 amps out of a panel rated for 10.62 amps under ideal conditions, you're looking 100% good.

Back