diy solar

diy solar

At what battery voltage do you set your inverter to start 'selling' power back to the grid?

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
I want to maintain my battery bank at around 80% SOC as a reserve to provide enough juice to keep the house going if the grid goes down so I'm thinking of setting mine to about 52.8V (exact voltage @80% to be determined later).

I'm actually not sure if I'm going to grid-tie at all as the process is a expensive PITA, maybe I should just set it to switch back to grid power at 80% SOC, however my array will horribly overproduce in the summer and I kind of hate to just waste it. I suppose I could do dump loads to a waterheater pre-heater but if I'm going to do the expense of all that I might as well go grid-tie and accrue credits towards my winter usage when the solar array can't keep up with normal non-conservation usage.

I suppose I'm asking on whether or not to bother going grid tie in western Washington State.

...I'm asking on whether or not to bother going grid tie ...
It was inexpensive and easy here to do with my utility. Sounds like you need to run the cost numbers to see if it's worth the expense.

I am on the grid and I don't even have solar panels on my roof yet.
My plans are to make a system that is capable of working without the grid.
But it will take years (maybe never) to get there 100% because I am in no rush.
It might be worth it for you to connect to the grid just so you don't have to rush.
Of course for me it costs very little to stay tied to the grid. I think it's $10 / month. I'm net metering too.
Just my thoughts and I'm sure many disagree.

The operator of the grid in your area will have all the specifications that they require. You start with them.

Back