diy solar

diy solar

ATS causing power surge inverter damage.

Otto_Pylotte

I am using a Moes ATS for my 24v based inverter just like the one in Will’s videos.

After a few fried inverters I figured out that if the ATS switches repeatedly as the sun goes down and the battery drains, it will cause repeated power surges. If there is a large load on the circuit at that time those surges will gradually kill your inverter in a few days or weeks.

These power surges caused the Mosfets on the dc side of my giandel inverter to dead short repeatedly.

Question is: Does anyone know of an effective DC surge suppressor for the 24v dc side of my inverter? (I already have one on the AC side but that didn’t solve the problem).

You could use an inline relay to kill power to it from a timer or low-volt photocell?

You mean like a ‘wait and see’ circuit? I haven’t heard of one but I’m not guru status, either.
You could do something with a delay relay/timer... or a daily 24-hour.

Attenuation of the transfer switch flutter I’d use a relay that would notice when it drops the inverter - and that in turn would trigger a 1/2-hour timer to keep the solar cut out. It seems that would force it onto grid.

I’m quite interested because I think I see the issue. I don’t know if there’s a big duty low-ohm resister that could do attenuatie this without too much loss or if there’s a packaged retail unit to handle this.
i’ve been recommending the solar ATS idea to folks but haven’t installed one yet and if your issue is a common situation that hasn’t been brought to light yet this is a big deal to me that makes the method questionable/undesirable to use.

One thing I thought of is maybe you need more battery- so the ATS isn’t triggering until it’s too dark to recharge the solar?

I’m curious about others experience with a solar ATS flutter causing issues so I am bumping this.
id hate to kill my inverter or several… Nevertheless, I’d test it myself, but, well, there ain’t no grid nearby here to use LOL

I want to hear the discussion. I don’t want to recommend things to people if there’s a known flaw going on

I do not fully understand how it can happen.
The ATS switches from inverter to grid, and back to inverter.
If the load does not exceed the inverter's capabilities no problem.
If does then inverter shuts down.
There is even no inrush current in this situation. No electric motor start or empty capacitor to recharge (already running).
If it happens often (like 1sec intervals and many times) with high load ... hmmm that can be stressful for the inverter.

What else can kill simple inverters if you backfeed power to them.
So if the ATS does not separate first the inverter from the load or an internal arc between grid and inverter contacts.

I do not fully understand how it can happen.
The ATS switches from inverter to grid, and back to inverter.
If it happens often (like 1sec intervals and many times) with high load ... hmmm that can be stressful

I’m not understanding either. I mean I can imagine circumstances but there’s not enough info to blame anything particularly.

I did take it that it was cycling rapidly, fluttering if you will.

I just wanted to understand - I don’t have a way to test ‘at my house’ but I’ve recommended these to a bunch of people who do have grid and small solar.

I am using a Moes ATS for my 24v based inverter just like the one in Will’s videos.

After a few fried inverters I figured out that if the ATS switches repeatedly as the sun goes down and the battery drains, it will cause repeated power surges.
OK so I opened the manual and I read if it senses 11 volts on the battery it will switch to utility power and recover back to battery when voltage recovers to 13.5 volts. This seems to be quite a spread. Have you adjusted these values? (voltages will adjust based upon 12, 24 or 48v battery)

11 volts is lower than I’d like, but in bright sun I can see how my batteries could recover quickly nearing sunset. But if they were 12.1 “quickly” wouldn’t make it before dark…

After a few fried inverters I figured out that if the ATS switches repeatedly as the sun goes down and the battery drains, it will cause repeated power surges. If there is a large load on the circuit at that time those surges will gradually kill your inverter in a few days or weeks.

These power surges caused the Mosfets on the dc side of my giandel inverter to dead short repeatedly.

Question is: Does anyone know of an effective DC surge suppressor for the 24v dc side of my inverter? (I already have one on the AC side but that didn’t solve the problem).
wow same problem here,fried 3 inverters still no answer,they were 1000w inverters and the fuses inside were fine but no joy,so i had a 3000w hooked up,it shuts down with error opp ,reset it works for a while,if you find a answer please let me know,was thinking about a new ats but just guessing

11 volts is lower than I’d like, but in bright sun I can see how my batteries could recover quickly nearing sunset. But if they were 12.1 “quickly” wouldn’t make it before dark…
did you find a answer,i still have the same problem

did you find a answer i still have the same problem

My recommendation is to sell the clearly not working setup you have and just buy a hybrid inverter that includes the ATS in it and will swap back and forth all day long with no issues. aka growatt/mpp. Mine switches every day and everything stays online and UN-interupted

did you find a answer i still have the same problem
Would it be possible not to switch the full load with the ATS?...leave just enough load to keep the inverter out of sleep mode.
You will probably need a ac/dc charger set just above the minimum V you don't want the battery to fall below.
Seems convoluted but I don't see another way to avoid damaging some inverters when using a ATS.

Would it be possible not to switch the full load with the ATS?...leave just enough load to keep the inverter out of sleep mode.
You will probably need a ac/dc charger set just above the minimum V you don't want the battery to fall below.
Seems convoluted but I don't see another way to avoid damaging some inverters when using a ATS.
hey thats a interesting idea,i plugged a night light ,into the inverter,very small load,fingers crossed,thanks never thought of that,

hey thats a interesting idea,i plugged a night light ,into the inverter,very small load,fingers crossed,thanks never thought of that,
i see this is happening to alot of people,i have put a multimeter on the dc side and watched it,no surge but that dosent mean it dosent happen when im not watching ,if i could put something between the batteries and inverter to prevent a surge i would try it,to much money to start from scratch

I use Go-Power 30a 120v and Progressive 240v/120v 50a ATSs - and have not had any issue like this. 3years of twice daily switch-overs and no problem.

My inverters are routed to the 'generator' side of the ATS. When the inverters come on, the ATSs sense the available power but delay 20-30sec before switching. When the inverters turn off, due to low battery, the ATSs sense the loss of power and immediately switch back to grid.

Is you're hookup this way? or perhaps some other way?

I use Go-Power 30a 120v and Progressive 240v/120v 50a ATSs - and have not had any issue like this. 3years of twice daily switch-overs and no problem.

My inverters are routed to the 'generator' side of the ATS. When the inverters come on, the ATSs sense the available power but delay 20-30sec before switching. When the inverters turn off, due to low battery, the ATSs sense the loss of power and immediately switch back to grid.

Is you're hookup this way? or perhaps some other way?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    632.4 KB · Views: 15
Back